Maths Rules Wanted! (1 Viewer)

aussiechica

Does anyone have a chart of all (or even certain just units of) the rules for our course typed out and want to share them with me?

If you do, that would be most helpful and I will love you forever!

If you dont, well then welcome to my world

:) Thanks!

Affinity

HSC
1. The rules you want do not exist, Try to do things without thinking of rules, the best students are confident of what they write not because they are sticking to a prepared method, but rather they understand what they are doing.

2. Understand everything, it's not in the spirit of mathematics to use a result that you cannot prove and not knowing these proofs slows you, because there's often less to learn if your understand the concept.
3. Do your algebra, 80% of your difficulties come from inability to manipulate algebraic expressions

4. a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b)
5. a^3 - b^3 = (a-b)(a^2 +ab + b^2)
6. f'(x) = lim (h ->0) { [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h }
7. d/dx [x^n] = nx^(n-1) POWER RULE
8. (uv)' = u'v + uv' PRODUCT RULE
9. (u/v)' = (u'v - uv')/(v^2) QUOTIENT RULE
10. d/dx [ f(g(x) ] = f'(g(x)) * g'(x) CHAIN RULE or FUNCTION OF A FUNTION RULE, this is VERY IMPORTANT since it is the most common rule which you need to apply, failure to grasp this will severely damage your marks
11. d/dx Ln(x) = 1/x
12. d/dx e^x = e^x
13. S = n(a+l)/2 = [n(2a + (n-1)d)]/2 partial SUM OF A.S
14. S = a(1 - r^n)/(1-r) partial SUM OF G.S
15. area formulae
16. d = sqrt( (x0 - x1)^2 + (y0-y1)^2) DISTANCE FORMULA
17. m = (y0 - y1)/(x0 - x1) GRADIENT FORMULA
18. M = ( (x0+x1)/2 , (y0+y1)/2 ) MIDPOINT FORMULA
19. (x-x0)*m = y - y0 POINT SLOPE FORMULA OF A LINE
20. x = [-b + sqrt(b^2 -4ac)]/(2a) or [-b-+ sqrt(b^2 -4ac)]/(2a)
QUADRATIC FORMULA
21. The Method of completing the square
22. method of factorizing
23 put +C after indefinite integrals.
24. INTEGRAL {a->b} f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a) where F is the antiderivative of f. FUNDAMENTAL THEOREM OF CALCULUS.
25. V = Pi * INTEGRAL {a->b} [f(x)]^2 dx VOLUME OF SOLID OF REVOLUTION
26. A = INTEGRAL {a->b} f(x) dx AREA UNDER CURVE.
27. GO BACK TO RULE #1

will post more later when I recall them

aussiechica

I have never heard anyone sound so philisophical about maths before!

I get the impression you enjoy and are confident in maths, which is something I definately am not- so having a prepared set of rules in front of me really helps me out- if I get an answer wrong it means I dont have to go through the textbook to find why Im stuffed up, its all in front of me.

The notes youve typed so far have been helpful- but what does the notation in rules 4 and 5- it looks kind of like the top of a triangle mean? (I cannot see the button on my keboard anywhere)

Thankyou for your help- :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
u might want to try the summary on the back of Fitzpatrick's yellow 2unit book...

edit: btw, when Affinity typed ^^^ triangle things, he/she meant to the power of...

aussiechica

Ill try the Fitzpatrick - thankyou for the advice (I havent got it, but I know my friend does)

Also thanks for the advice on the lil pyramid rooftop things- dur to me :mad1: I so shouldve been able to work that out!

Thankyou! :)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
at the beginning of the excel 3u book, there are a few pages of formulae as well. i mean the big one.

aussiechica

Cool bananas- thanx for the advice on the excel book (In case I dont get the fitzpatrick one off my friend)

But are the rules in the 3U book all 2U , or is there 3U material mixed up in there as well?

Thanks

Rahul

Dead Member
umm there is a summary book, its directed at the 3u course, but also includes the 2u course. its by warwick marlin. and its red. :)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
if u want all the rules ... dont care about quality of questions

get those "understanding ..." maths books

all they have r rules and hardli ne questions
(which is y they arent so popular / they are quite shit)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
there's lots of summary books, but it's better to write your own.. that way you understand it, and you wrote it so you'll memorise it. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)