The future question 8 of mathematics HSC (1 Viewer)

spice girl

magic mirror
Question 8 (15 marks)

a) State Pythagoras' theorem (1)

b) Explain the importance of mathematical advances in ancient greek society. (2)

c) Discuss the impacts of Pythagoras' theorem to modern society. (2)

d) How does new mathematical discoveries such as the proof to Fermat's last theorem impact on the direction of mathematical research? (2)

e) Identify and discuss four different methods to prove Pythagoras' theorem. (4)

f) "Pythagoras was the founder of modern geometry." Do you agree? Discuss in relation to the works of Euclid and Newton. (4)

Last edited:

Dario

HSC
Wow spice girl ! Those questions sound very Board Of Studies like. You should get a job there ! How do you know so much of the mathematical history anyway ?

Dario

HSC
No, I undersatnd the joke. I was just pointing out that it was very good and realistic sounding.

blake

Yes, clever indeed. BOS is full of women who know absolutely nothing about nothing and have made everything english oriented for e.g. Physics

roo

HSC
Re: i hate english

Originally posted by Dumbarse
yeh barr that, i'm that over english that i wish i was american. every test is becoming more and more like english
maths is next on the list,,,,
that is so true! you should've seen our trial (PLC), i'll have to send it in one day. it was like i was doing a fricken english test! the amount of reading and interpreting.. *sigh* :(

spice girl

magic mirror
The RACI chem quiz (junior) used to be like that too. They'd give you a paragraph of information, and then ask a multi on the information above. It's like a blody comprehension test.

Well, the message is to allow ppl to appreciate how fortunate they are that they're doing a HSC where maths isn't screwed like the other subjects.

That's the problem when you have history teachers as State MPs, and parents who know nothing about education, who think they do, and who vote the government that listens to them. Credit to all those incompetent teachers.

Now teachers dun need to know jack to teach any subject.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Aww u left out section II

You are a radio host, write a transcript including an analysis on how the composer derives pythag's theorem and how it relates to context.

fluke

has anyone noticed in the maths syllabus that these numerical geniuses at the BoS have decided to create a new word for the english language - as it is indeed their field of expertise - namely the word 'scopefulness' in the context that 'students demonstrate an appreciation for the elegance and scopefulness of mathematics'. Please. my paper will no have an essay thru the margins of just how 'scopeful' mathematics truly is. How elegant.

ben

Critically analyse the social and ethical issues relating to the applications of calculus.

eagle4

HSC
N/A
"write a letter to pythagoras expressing to him how his theorm has made you beter understand the topc of change"

(does anyone care that he didnt make up that treorm?? the egiptians had been using it for many years b4 him, he just published it and took the credit)

eagle4:cool:

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by eagle4

(does anyone care that he didnt make up that treorm?? the egiptians had been using it for many years b4 him, he just published it and took the credit)
In fact, it was the students of pythagoras' school, not the person himself, who developed the equation as a theorem.

"identify four applications of pythagoras' theorem in society"

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
speaking of jokes....

At Sydney University, there were four students taking Organic Chemistry. They did so well on all the midterms and labs, etc., that each had an "HD" so far for the semester. These four friends were so confident with the finals approaching that the weekend before, they decided to go down to Canberra and party with some friends there.

They had a great time. However, after all the hard partying, they slept all day Sunday and didn't make it back to Sydney until early Monday morning - the morning of their final exam! Rather than taking the final then, they decided to find their professor AFTER the exam and explain to him why they missed it. They explained that they had gone to Canberra to do some research in the ANU archives for the weekend with the plan to come back in time to study, but, unfortunately, they had a flat tyre on the way back, and that they couldn't get help for a long time. As a result, they only just arrived now!

The professor thought it over and then agreed they could make up their final exam the following day. The guys were elated and relieved. They studied hard that night - all night - and went in the next day at the time the professor had told them. He placed them in separate rooms and handed each of them a test booklet, (which was out of 100 points) and told them to begin. The first problem was worth five points. It was something simple about free radical formation. "Cool," they all thought in their separate rooms, this is going to be easy." Each finished the problem and then turned the page.

Question 2 (for 95 points): Which tyre?

Mathematician

actually..

I think we should learn more of the history of mathematics but definetly not get tested on it, it would make people good at math but poor at english even seem to suck at math.
You can know the answer but not write it good enough.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
dang, thought you were writing the paper for next year...

:)

You forgot (g)

g) Was Pythagoras' dad really gay?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
my Question Eight

Analyse the significance of 'e' in our society? [15 marks]

OR

Discuss the usages of pi? [15 marks]

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think i'd pick the 2nd question
more to talk about :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)