I got an overall mark of 50% for Mathematics. Am I screwed? (1 Viewer)

Animals

Banned
HSC
Well, I worked out that my overall mark for mathematics was 50%. I did this by multiplying each assessment mark with its weighting, and adding all these marks up. I also worked the average out to be around 67.9%. Now, my school usually does well in maths, so I'm hoping that'll boost my mark. So, what do you think? Is maths going to screw me up?

Being realistic, I think I'll get around 58% in my HSC as a raw mark.

What band am I looking at?

mathslover

HSC
Animals said:
Well, I worked out that my overall mark for mathematics was 50%. I did this by multiplying each assessment mark with its weighting, and adding all these marks up. I also worked the average out to be around 67.9%. Now, my school usually does well in maths, so I'm hoping that'll boost my mark. So, what do you think? Is maths going to screw me up?

Being realistic, I think I'll get around 58% in my HSC as a raw mark.

What band am I looking at?
What's ur assessment rank for 2u maths?
also what's ur school's ranking?
it doesnt really matter what ur assessment ave percentage is, ur rank is what counts.

bored of sc

HSC
Band 3-4 (60-79%)? I don't know. All I know is raw marks usually align upwards.

Animals

Banned
HSC
mathslover said:
What's ur assessment rank for 2u maths?
also what's ur school's ranking?
it doesnt really matter what ur assessment ave percentage is, ur rank is what counts.
For some reason, my school doesn't give out our ranks. And my school is ranked like 50. Does that help?

If I were to guess my rank, I'd say about 87/102.

Animals

Banned
HSC
Oh, and just a side note, Maths will be counted. Damn! Should've never dropped SOR. :(

mathslover

HSC
Animals said:
For some reason, my school doesn't give out our ranks. And my school is ranked like 50. Does that help?

If I were to guess my rank, I'd say about 87/102.
That's not too bad.
Ur school rank is pretty okay.. u said ur school does well in maths, so if u all do well, the person who comes~87th in ur school in the HSC, their HSC mark will become ur internal mark, so u wont necessarily get 50% as ur internal mark.
yer i was just going to ask u how many units u have. i do SOR.. i heard it scales? anyway
work hard for ur externals to make up for ur internal rank. which maths band r u aiming for? whats ur UAI aim?

Animals

Banned
HSC
mathslover said:
That's not too bad.
Ur school rank is pretty okay.. u said ur school does well in maths, so if u all do well, the person who comes~87th in ur school in the HSC, their HSC mark will become ur internal mark, so u wont necessarily get 50% as ur internal mark.
yer i was just going to ask u how many units u have. i do SOR.. i heard it scales? anyway
work hard for ur externals to make up for ur internal rank. which maths band r u aiming for? whats ur UAI aim?
To be honest, I'd be ecstatic with like a mid-high band 4. I'm aiming for around 87 UAI. And yep, I also heard that SOR scales well. Good luck!

What are you aiming for?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
If you are below average at academically inclined school, you will probably be average in the state in general - therefore, 76 aligned mark in mathematics.

mathslover

HSC
Animals said:
To be honest, I'd be ecstatic with like a mid-high band 4. I'm aiming for around 87 UAI. And yep, I also heard that SOR scales well. Good luck!

What are you aiming for?
I think you can still get a high band 4..
I want to get the highest bands in 3u and 4u (doesnt seem likely for me for 4u) and i want to get 95+ UAI.
All the best! :)

Animals

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
If you are below average at academically inclined school, you will probably be average in the state in general - therefore, 76 aligned mark in mathematics.
I'd be VERY happy with that. Thanks Namu. But remember, I'm like 18% below average at my school. Does what you said still apply?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Animals said:
I'd be VERY happy with that. Thanks Namu. But remember, I'm like 18% below average at my school. Does what you said still apply?
Yep, probably. You would want about 65 out of 120 in mathematics.

Animals

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Yep, probably. You would want about 65 out of 120 in mathematics.
OOOHH YESS! I think I can pull that off. Thanks Namu!

By the way, how certain are you? Do you have anything to back up what you're saying? I don't mean to sound rude, but like, I don't want to be too happy before I know for sure.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Animals said:
OOOHH YESS! I think I can pull that off. Thanks Namu!

By the way, how certain are you? Do you have anything to back up what you're saying? I don't mean to sound rude, but like, I don't want to be too happy before I know for sure.
According to 2007 scaling, the median aligned mark was 76. And according to HSC Mathematics statistics, the median HSC raw mark was 64-66. And if you are average, you will probably get that.

2qt-4yu

HSC
i did bad in my maths .. am i screwed??

i did my maths exam and think im only just going to pass..
im only on 10 units.. does that mean my uai will be screwed now ??

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Band 3-4 (60-79%)? I don't know. All I know is raw marks usually align upwards.
thats alittle high imo..

Realistically. around Band 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)