graph relationships (1 Viewer)

Arithela

HSC
the shape of a distance vs. time curve is determined by the velocity vs. time relationship.

why is that:

when the v/t relationship is linear then d/t is parabolic? how do you know whether its concave up or down?

when v/t is constant, d/t is linear?

dolbinau

HSC
If v/t is linear, i.e the velocity is increasing or decreasing then d/t is curved because as velocity changes the time it takes to cover the same amount of distance changes

when v/t is constant, d/t is linear because velocity remains the same so the time it takes to cover the same amount of distance does not change.

I'm not sure if it actually parabolic though, in fact unless in the first case the velocity changes directions it shouldn't be.

Azreil

HSC
d/t = integral of v/t

Say v/t = x
d/t = x^2/2
ie if v/t is x^1, d/t must be x^2, therefore parabolic.
Concave up or down is determined whether the coefficient of x^2 is positive of negative. If it's negative then it's concave down. If it's positive it's concave up.

V/t constant means v/t = k
d/t = kx + c [linear]
ie if v/t = x^0 (constant), then d/t = x^1 (linear).

namburger

Noob Member
HSC
Arithela said:
when the v/t relationship is linear then d/t is parabolic?
The gradient of the curve of a distance vs time is given by the curve of the velocity vs time relationship. So if a v/t is linear, [IE: v = at + b], to find the d/t relationship, you integrate it, therefore x = at^2/2 + bt + c, where c is a constant. this is always parabolic.

Arithela said:
how do you know whether its concave up or down
Look at a v/t linear curve, when the velocity is negative, the gradient of the x/t curve is negative and when the velocity is positive, the gradient is positive.
FOR EXAMPLE v = 2t - 1
To the left of t = 0.5, the velocity is negative and hence the gradient of the x/t graph is negative
To the right of t = 0.5, the velocity is positive and hence the gradient of the x/t graph is positive
This corresponds to a concave up parabola.

and of course, concave down is the opposite, an example would be v = -2t + 1

Arithela said:
when v/t is constant, d/t is linear?
v = a
Integrate both sides, x = at + c, where c is a constant
this is always linear

Arithela

HSC
can anyone explain the relationship between v/t and a/t curves?

i know to get from v/t to a/t you need to differentiate but

e.g. one part of the v/t graph is parabolic (decreasing) i.e. y = x2 and differentiating this gives 2x which is linear. Now, why does the answer give a curve graph rather than a linear graph for a/t during this time?

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
If you have a velocity vs time graph that is parabolic,
i.e. v=t<sup>2</sup>
Then the acceleration vs time graph is the gradient of the previous graph, since acceleration is change in velocity over change in time, i.e. dv/dt
Hence if v = t<sup>2</sup>
a = dv/dt = 2t
which is linear. Therefore if the velocity graph is parabolic, the acceleration graph will be linear. Maybe the question is asking for the Displacement vs time graph?

Arithela

HSC
hey thanks i understand all that but just dont know why the answers got it as curvy rather than linear... and yes its a a/t graph not d/t

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Ok, so basically, Acceleration is the gradient of the velocity vs time curve. Looking at the curve, we can see the gradient from t=0 to t=1 is 0 right, coz its a straight line across. Then we see that the curve goes downwards, which means it has negative gradient. Then at t=3, the gradient is horizontal again, so the a/t graph will be zero. From t=5 to t=6 the gradient is positive, so the acceleration graph will be positive.

Note at t=2 there is a point of inflection on the v/t graph. This translates to a maximum or minimum in the acceleration vs time graph. (Min in this case)

I will try and upload a picture, but it might be a bit difficult.

Arithela

HSC
ah.. so the point of inflexion means there won't be two linear lines joining between t=1 and t=3 but instead a parabolic shape?

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
This dude I know married a box plot. They're pretty happy, I guess. I don't think it'll work out in the long term.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Arithela said:
ah.. so the point of inflexion means there won't be two linear lines joining between t=1 and t=3 but instead a parabolic shape?
Yeh...If there is a point of inflection, then the equation between those two points is at least of degree 3 (a cubic or more). Since it has a degree of
> or = 3
then its derivative, the acceleration vs time graph, will have a degree of
> or = 2.
So the acceleration vs time graph shouldn't really be linear between those two points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)