Ways to Guarantee No "Silly Mistakes" (1 Viewer)

:::a:::

Un******
HSC
How the fuck do you do this in an exam, under timed, stressed and limited conditions?

If you consistently have little or no "silly errors" in your exams / past papers, please post your methods here.

Spanks all round.

Teh Duke

HSC
When i get my answer I usually think about it for a sec to make sure it makes sense. Alot of people seem to move on to the next question as soon as they get the answer. Like for example in an area under the curve question I usually have a rough guess before I do the question, so that when i get the answer and it's not too far off, I know i'm probably right.
Also, if it's a factorise question I usually sub in one of the answers to make sure i did it right.

This way I can usually find my silly mistake.

Hatta

HSC
Confidence in what you're doing usually helps, too. So study, study, study! (I'm being hypocritical, I need to study too)

Azreil

HSC
Teh Duke said:
When i get my answer I usually think about it for a sec to make sure it makes sense. Alot of people seem to move on to the next question as soon as they get the answer. Like for example in an area under the curve question I usually have a rough guess before I do the question, so that when i get the answer and it's not too far off, I know i'm probably right.
Also, if it's a factorise question I usually sub in one of the answers to make sure i did it right.

This way I can usually find my silly mistake.
This.

I've caught myself a few times in graphs questions by doing a quick table of values and plotting points to make sure the shape is right.

Check your algebra. I can't count the amount of times that I've seen (and done myself) things like 0*3 = 3. Or 1*3=1.

Don't panic. Never panic ;]

FatJ

The Sexiest Man Alive
HSC
Practice as much as possible. Try to take exams slowly. You can take an average of 18 minutes on each question so just chill out, don't freak out and be careful of the first few questions. People tend to rush them and they're the ones that it's easiest to lose marks on, but at the same time the easiest to boost your marks if you're a little bit careful.
I really should heed my own advice.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Just.Snaz said:
well, that's pretty philosphical of you Timothy.. care to elaborate oh wise one? :p
lol i dunno...
just know when ur prone to make "silly mistakes", i guess its just practise too
i barely make any silly mistakes if any at all anymore for 2unit.
when u see the questions like 1-8 u should have done all of them 100 times already, its just different wording/values/whatever. so it shud be pretty hard to make silly mistakes.

:::a:::

Un******
HSC
ise. good advice guys tis appreciated.

Edit: does anyone have or implement strict timing per question?
e.g. spend 5 minutes on Q1, then 7 minutes on Q2, then 10 on Q3 etc etc?
if so, post 'em - ta (K)

Last edited:

Teh Duke

HSC
:::a::: said:
ise. good advice guys tis appreciated.

Edit: does anyone have or implement strict timing per question?
e.g. spend 5 minutes on Q1, then 7 minutes on Q2, then 10 on Q3 etc etc?
if so, post 'em - ta (K)
I dont have strict timing for each question but what i try to do is 5,3,2:
The first 5 questions in the first hour
The next 3 questions in the second hour
The last 2 questions in the third hour

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
READ THE DAM QUESTION! DONT ASSUME!

heaps of ppl, including myself sometimes...

like sum of arithmetic series q's....once i read sum, i calculate it and thats it. i always miss the parts that say

"in metres" or "in centimetres" etc etc..

so read the questions! even highlight the important stuff if u must

bored of sc

HSC
First things first there's no guarantee.

Second, when you get an answer to an equation, substitute it back into the original equation.

Third, get a realistic answer.

Fourth, check that you've answered the question.

Fifth, don't take short-cuts in algebra - that way you are less prone to making silly mistakes.

Sixth, concentration is essential. Have you head on the game! Don't let your mind drift off into la-la land.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)