Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ultimate Guide to HSC Mathematics

HSC

Re: Ultimate Guide to HSC Mathematics

Quote Originally Posted by hungwell1337 View Post
    after 1 hr, you leave regardless whether you finished or not
    ur a fucking idiot, no one thinks highly of you now.
    2010 : B Engineering (Civil or Electrical) @ Uni of Melbourne

Week 14: (3 Sets x 6 Reps)| Bench Press: 100kg (1 rep: 120kg)| Squats: 150kg| Deadlift: 170kg|

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by lyounamu View Post
    I have done 2 unit mathematics and 3 unit mathematics for HSC last year (2008 HSC) as an accelerant and achieved good marks in both.
    Namu, you're way too humble. =)

"What's God?"

"Well, you know... When you really want something, you'd close your eyes and wish for it... God's the guy who ignores you."

HSC

Recent papers are generally better than old papers. You won't be able to find enough recent papers to keep you busy throughout the year. So you can do old papers for a while until you change to recent papers.

Old papers give you a great practice anyway so do old papers for a practice and do recent papers for a serious exam studying.
    I prefer to do older trial papers most of the way and put recent papers as last on the list for when you have the time for it. The reasons for this are:
    - More than likely the types of questions in recent papers (particularly the harder ones) won't be asked again when it comes to the current year's paper. Teachers who set the HSC will have incentive to make it as different from recent years' trials/HSC as possible to ensure people don't just regurgitate the answers
    - In your assessment tasks, teachers will more than likely source their questions from old trial or HSC papers
    - Older papers usually contain a higher ratio of more difficult questions which prepare you for anything nasty in the current year's HSC or trial

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla View Post
    I prefer to do older trial papers most of the way and put recent papers as last on the list for when you have the time for it. The reasons for this are:
    - More than likely the types of questions in recent papers (particularly the harder ones) won't be asked again when it comes to the current year's paper. Teachers who set the HSC will have incentive to make it as different from recent years' trials/HSC as possible to ensure people don't just regurgitate the answers
    - In your assessment tasks, teachers will more than likely source their questions from old trial or HSC papers
    - Older papers usually contain a higher ratio of more difficult questions which prepare you for anything nasty in the current year's HSC or trial
    Oh, that's so true.

Retired Member
    HSC

Nice guide Namu. Very fortunate to find it .
    B Commerce @ the University of New South Wales.
    Crestwood High School `09.
    ATAR aim: Achieved. Enquire for results & tutoring here.
    Extension 2 Maths, Advanced English, Physics, Chemistry.

Green = procrastinating Tully B.'s Avatar
    HSC

Hey Namu, did you get any not-so-good marks at the beginning of your accelerated HSC courses? I didn't do so well in my first MX assessment, but it was only worth 15%. I'm still kind of bummed out about it, as I was hoping to achieve a high MX rank (perhaps top 3...)
    Misunderestimated.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Tully B. View Post
    Hey Namu, did you get any not-so-good marks at the beginning of your accelerated HSC courses? I didn't do so well in my first MX assessment, but it was only worth 15%. I'm still kind of bummed out about it, as I was hoping to achieve a high MX rank (perhaps top 3...)
    Hm...I came like 12th in my first 2 unit hsc maths internal task.

However, for that exam I got 32/33 and lost a mark due to very silly mistake (11 got 33/33, LOL). So I could easily recover from that because the difference in mark was so small.

But don't worry. People usually perform badly when it comes to trial. I was like 3 marks behind my friend (3%, i.e.) but in trial, I beat him by 7 marks so I could come first in the year.

HSC
    Uni Grad

A really good guide Namu. What better advice than to take it from the master of maths himself

I will take on board as much as I can.
    #overandout

HSC
    Uni Grad

You own namu!

OWN!!!!!

btw thanks for this

HSC

Every second answer in Fitzpartick is a typo. Almost.

So don't stress out if you can't get something right from it.

Cambridge is great. Get the 3U book. It's better. They're split up into "basic", "Development" and "Extension" for a reason, so if you're not doing 3U or 4U you don't have to stress out about the whole exercise.

The FONT/TYPEFACE of Cambridge reminds me of the Australian Mathematics Competition and the Maths Challenge, i.e. incredibly hard. So don't be worried if you look at the font and CRINGE IN FEAR. I did.

Surprisingly, Wikipedia has the formulae and it's very friendly.

For example.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson%27s_rule

All nice and friendly
    Since you attended public school, I'm going to assume you're already proficient with small arms, so I'll start you off with something a little more advanced.*

adv english ext 1 english ext 2 english maths eco geo legal
    target: 97+
    atar: 97.50

*despite this I strongly advise against paraphrasing The Simpsons in ANY essay or assessment whatsoever. setting a bad example, not a good start *sigh*

HSC

Thanks
    HSC COURSES
    Standard English
    Mathematics
    Ext 1 Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Industrial Tech - Graphics

HSC
    N/A

Every second answer in Fitzpartick is a typo. Almost.
    Incorrect. You are exaggerating too much. I don't know what edition of the book you are referring to but at least the most recent ones hardly have typo.

Cambridge is great. Get the 3U book. It's better. They're split up into "basic", "Development" and "Extension" for a reason, so if you're not doing 3U or 4U you don't have to stress out about the whole exercise.
    Cambridge book is a great book. I agree with that. However, many questions are very unrealistic. On top of that, if you do only 2 Unit Mathematics, you shouldn't buy 3 Unit Cambridge.

Surprisingly, Wikipedia has the formulae and it's very friendly.

For example.
    Simpson's rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All nice and friendly
    Nice suggestion. I will take this on board.

Unorthodox top student Dragonmaster262's Avatar
    HSC

Incorrect. You are exaggerating too much. I don't know what edition of the book you are referring to but at least the most recent ones hardly have typo.

Cambridge book is a great book. I agree with that. However, many questions are very unrealistic. On top of that, if you do only 2 Unit Mathematics, you shouldn't buy 3 Unit Cambridge.

What do you mean by that?

HSC

They're so disgustingly difficult even James Ruse don't ask questions that hard in the 4U trial.
    Premium Quality Tutoring in the Northern Suburbs

James Ruse 99.5+ ATAR HSC All-Rounder Over 1500 Hours Tutoring Experience

Now offering a 50% rebate on your first 2 lessons and HSC Intensive Bootcamp Classes!

Unorthodox top student Dragonmaster262's Avatar
    HSC

So where do you get 1988 Past Papers anyway?
    Last edited by Dragonmaster262; 23 Mar 2009 at 8:19 AM.

HSC

We've still got the yellow "Two unit course for Years 11 & 12". It's probably just us, we're a public school starved of resources

Haha for you Cambridge-ers, I dropped from 3U to Advanced cause it was too hard :mad1: but I can't say that Cambridge doesn't help. Especially when my target is 99.9+
    Since you attended public school, I'm going to assume you're already proficient with small arms, so I'll start you off with something a little more advanced.*

adv english ext 1 english ext 2 english maths eco geo legal
    target: 97+
    atar: 97.50

*despite this I strongly advise against paraphrasing The Simpsons in ANY essay or assessment whatsoever. setting a bad example, not a good start *sigh*

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by legendfunk View Post
    We've still got the yellow "Two unit course for Years 11 & 12". It's probably just us, we're a public school starved of resources

Haha for you Cambridge-ers, I dropped from 3U to Advanced cause it was too hard :mad1: but I can't say that Cambridge doesn't help. Especially when my target is 99.9+
    Nah, I love that yellow book. It was my bible for 2 unit maths....

HSC

Unhappy Re: Ultimate Guide to HSC Mathematics

i hav my 1/2 yearly for maths this week and im stressing out.:mad1:
    i've been doing past papers but i seem to keep forgetting formulas or use the wrong ones at times. anyone got tips on what i could do? urgh so frustrating!!!

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mzSUE View Post
    i hav my 1/2 yearly for maths this week and im stressing out.:mad1:
    i've been doing past papers but i seem to keep forgetting formulas or use the wrong ones at times. anyone got tips on what i could do? urgh so frustrating!!!
    Doing past papers is fine. Keep doing that. However, for formulas, you just have to keep coming back to it to remember them.

Also, pay attention to the wording of the question so that you know what formula to use.

Good luck!

HSC

The title is "Ultimate Guide to getting laid".

HSC

I think I love you

HSC

same. Generally, Older papers have harder questions than newer ones.

HSC

thanks a lot

HSC

A very useful tip I would like to add which extends on the "Attempt all questions" point above (particularly an issue in Extension 2):

In a multi-part question, if you cannot do part (i), that does NOT mean you cannot do part (ii) or (iii). If you get stuck on say Q7(a)(i), then move on and attempt Q7(a)(ii). Don't skip all of Q7(a) to Q7(b) just because you can't do part (i). This is particularly useful if part (i) is a prove/show question, because you are allowed to use the given result in (i) for part (ii) even though you may not have successfully proved it in part (i).

e.g.
    A normal is drawn to the curve y = e2x at the point P(ln 2, 4). The normal cuts the x-axis at point Q.
    (i) Show that that the equation of the normal is: x + 8y = 32 + ln 2
    (ii) Find the coordinates of Q

If you get stuck or can't find the equation stated on the part (i), that does not mean you cannot do (ii). You can immediately do (ii), by subbing y = 0 in the GIVEN result x + 8y = 32 + ln 2 without having to prove it in (i).

From my experience as a tutor, I was actually surprised at how many people give up on a multi-part question just because they cannot penetrate part (i)...

Also a good tip is if u only no how to half finish a question STILL PUT IT IN coz u may still get some marks. In my half yearlys I still had two questions 2 go both worth 2 marks and I had like 2 mins so I just wrote down the formulas and got a mark 4 each which meant that I got band 6 instead of band 5

HSC

Wish I did mathematics extension(s). 2U is yawn-worthy. :mad1:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information