Differentiation Help! (1 Viewer)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I have trouble with this question, and have no idea where to start...

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Plug in y, dy/dx and d2y/dx2 and equate coefficients. You can solve from there easily :D (or it may be messy)

HSC
plug in y, dy/dx and d2y/dx2 and equate coefficients.
oh oops I totally forgot about that lol, thanks :)

is there a faster way though? I've done a similar question to this before and I didn't have to sub in anything

EDIT: just subbed everything in but I still don't get how you can find a, b and c :S

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC

is there a faster way though? I've done a similar question to this before and I didn't have to sub in anything

EDIT: just subbed everything in but I still don't get how you can find a, b and c :S
Find dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2

Sub in y and dy/dx in to the differential equation.

Rearrange such that d^2y/dx^2 is on one side and everything else is on the other.

Equate coefficients with d^2y/dx^2 equation.

I haven't tried this yet but it may work.

You could mix things around like subbing in y and d^2y/dx^2, or dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2 to try it out.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

Not sure if there's a faster way :/ (can't see one, but someone else might have oen)

And i'm not sure why it isn't working. Take a pic of your working and post it up?

HSC
Oh... I think I got it with nightweaver's method, and basically equated the coefficients of x, lnx and the constants, ending up with 3 simultaneous equations.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
LOL i was thinking if they were the same but i couldn't really understand it the way you expressed it.

Work on your english m8
Yeah screw you too lol :p
But it's more of me being lazy and not wishing to type anything in (i'll be hopeless with latex lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)