2002 HSC Probability (1 Viewer)

UTRazilBay

HSC
I suck at probability and the only way i solve questions is through the use of tree diagrams.. Im stuck on this question, can anyone provide ways in which i should approach this questions or any questions on probability in general for that matter?

Capture4.JPG

Lucas_

HSC
Question i)
Firstly, there are 4 pairs of socks in the drawer, so a total of 8 individual socks in the drawer.

For the first sock which is chosen, it could be any sock in the drawer. It doesn't matter at this point. So therefore, Sock 1 has probability of 8/8.
After Sock 1 is chosen and removed from the drawer, there will only be 7 socks left in the drawer. Of these 7 socks in the drawer, there will 2 of each color sock but only 1 of the color sock which was removed.

Therefore, to get a matching pair, the probability would be 8/8 x 1/7. Since in probability all outcomes will add up to 1:

P(matching sock after 2) = 1 - P(non matching sock after 2) = 6/7

If you were to write this you would only have to write P(non matching) = 8/8 x 6/7 = 6/7 as required.

Question ii)
P(non matching sock after 3) = 8/8 x 6/7 x 4/6 = 4/7

The reason the 3rd term above, 4/6, is not 5/6 is because the third sock cannot be the same as the first OR second sock.

Question iii)
P(non matching sock after 3) = 4/7 from above

Since in probability all outcomes will add up to 1:

P(matching sock after 3) = 1 - P(non matching after 3 socks) = 3/7

You should aim to never have to use tree diagrams. Remember, in probability:
  • The word AND is equivalent to multiplication
  • The word OR is equivalent to addition

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)