Integration HELPP!! (1 Viewer)

sky_angel

HSC
We're doing integration now at school and our teacher gave us a question that I can't get. He asked us to integrate y= root (1-x^2) from -1 to 1.

How do I do thisss because he only taught us how to integrate things like 3x^2 or (1+3x)^2.

I asked him if the integral was like the normal one where you add 1 to the power, then put that in the denominator, so I got 2/3 times (1-x^2) root (1-x^2) but he said it was wrong :(

can someone help me pleeeeaasssee !!

nightweaver066

HSC
Remember what integration helps you find.

*cough* area *cough*

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You cannot apply direct numerical integration to this case because the term inside the square root is not linear. You will need to consider the area of the semi-circle to integrate this. But you can also integrate using trigonometric substitution - which would be ineffective in this case.

sky_angel

HSC
thankss!!! <3

but I don't get why integration finds the area under the curve. Like, how come doing the 'opposite' of differentiation gives us the area? I know that differentiation gives you the gradient but how come if I do it the other way around, I suddenly get area??

deswa1

HSC
thankss!!! <3

but I don't get why integration finds the area under the curve.
Like, how come doing the 'opposite' of differentiation gives us the area? I know that differentiation gives you the gradient but how come if I do it the other way around, I suddenly get area??
Has your teacher gone through the idea of the integral as the limiting sum of rectangles under a curve?

sky_angel

HSC
Has your teacher gone through the idea of the integral as the limiting sum of rectangles under a curve?
no... he just told us that we have to find something that if we differentiate, we get the original curve so like the 'opposite' of differentiation. But I don't get why that suddenly gives the area under the curve...

D94

HSC
N/A
no... he just told us that we have to find something that if we differentiate, we get the original curve so like the 'opposite' of differentiation. But I don't get why that suddenly gives the area under the curve...
So he hasn't explained it using the Sigma sign and taking small portions, ie. dx, then multiplying them together? Sound familiar?

sky_angel

HSC
So he hasn't explained it using the Sigma sign and taking small portions, ie. dx, then multiplying them together? Sound familiar?
no, but he did tell us to put a dx in the end because you lose marks if you don't

deswa1

HSC
no, but he did tell us to put a dx in the end because you lose marks if you don't
lolwtf. Ok. Get a textbook like Cambridge or look online and actually try to see where integration sorta comes from. This will explain a LOT of things to you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)