Math Q (1 Viewer)

axwe7

HSC
N/A
MAF.PNG

Just do the last question - (f)

What I wanted to know, was that do I have to prove that root x is rational, and thereby prove a contradiction to find the values of a and b or do I just correspond the pronumerals with their respective values?

Cheers,
Axwe7

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
View attachment 32748

Just do the last question - (f)

What I wanted to know, was that do I have to prove that root x is rational, and thereby prove a contradiction to find the values of a and b or do I just correspond the pronumerals with their respective values?

Cheers,
Axwe7

axwe7

HSC
N/A
So I actually don't need any working out, I could just state that a= A and b=B?

I did the question with working out, and I also stated the contradiction, however there is not contradiction as the question doesn't say that root x is irrational,

leehuan

HSC
If you look at the previous parts, I think the assumption to be made here is that sqrt(x) is irrational here. However the case when x is a perfect square is interesting:

To visualise, consider the simplest case of x=1:

Then a+b=2+2/3
a+b=8/3

Well, we can literally pick any two rational numbers a and b that will satisfy a simple statement such as this.

We then move up to x=4:

a+2b = 2 + 4/3
a+2b=10/3

We can consider the next case of x=9:

a+3b=2+2
a+3b=4

3 is secure enough, but x=16 just for the sake of even more reliability:
a+4b=2+8/3
a+4b=14/3

No matter which pair of simultaneous equations we solve, we arrive at THE SAME VALUES FOR A AND B so it doesn't matter

Last edited:

axwe7

HSC
N/A
If you look at the previous parts, I think the assumption to be made here is that sqrt(x) is irrational here. Like InteGrand stated, if sqrt(x) was rational or by equivalent x is a perfect square, then there are an infinite number of solutions for a and b.
Understood, thanks.

axwe7

HSC
N/A
Actually, please check my edit. I tried doing an investigation.
Hahah, yeah, just did, my message was posted a bit late, idk why.

Just one last question, why does this relate to how a number can be written in a fractional form or if it can't. How is that the determining factor of the values of a and b?

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Hahah, yeah, just did, my message was posted a bit late, idk why.

Just one last question, why does this relate to how a number can be written in a fractional form or if it can't. How is that the determining factor as to the values of a and b?
I'm not sure what you mean here. Given a and b are rational it just means we can express it as a fraction; doesn't mean it has to be written as one (e.g. integers such as 2). It just means the answer isn't something like pi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)