Do most schools just don't care a lot about 2-unit maths anymore? (1 Viewer)

MrKay

HSC
Srs, even though I'm doing well in Mathematics (2 unit) my school apparently don't give a crap about which teachers they assign to the subject. My teacher for 2 unit (only one class) this year is pretty crap at explaining exercises and concepts, and I just found that that the previous years for 2 unit had pretty badly renowned teachers for it as well, therefore the only way I even get most of the content is because I go to a good maths tutor. Feeling pretty discouraged now, and I'm seriously considering just moving to extension 1 now because at least they have a good teacher , even though I'd be way behind :(.

What are your guys' experiences with 2 unit in your school though? Would like to know if your school cares about 2 unit and if you at least got a good teacher for it/bad teacher.

Soz for wall of text.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Srs, even though I'm doing well in Mathematics (2 unit) my school apparently don't give a crap about which teachers they assign to the subject. My teacher for 2 unit (only one class) this year is pretty crap at explaining exercises and concepts, and I just found that that the previous years for 2 unit had pretty badly renowned teachers for it as well, therefore the only way I even get most of the content is because I go to a good maths tutor. Feeling pretty discouraged now, and I'm seriously considering just moving to extension 1 now because at least they have a good teacher , even though I'd be way behind :(.

What are your guys' experiences with 2 unit in your school though? Would like to know if your school cares about 2 unit and if you at least got a good teacher for it/bad teacher.

Soz for wall of text.
Yeah, same at my school. It's unfortunate, but doesn't bother me much because I self-teach most of it.
You're lucky tbh. At least you got an actual maths teacher, not a science one.

MrKay

HSC
Well, at least I know it's just not my school lol, I guess I just have to focus more on self-teaching and tutor but it just feels like a shame wasting my maths periods listening to a bad teacher :/.

ml125

HSC
The 2 unit class at our school is taught by our maths coordinator hahaha, but yeah the teacher for our class (3U) is bomb :D I think the yr 11s drew the short end of the stick this year, though. Their 2 unit teacher is alright but 3 unit is taught by one of the worst teachers?? >u<

MrKay

HSC
The 2 unit class at our school is taught by our maths coordinator hahaha, but yeah the teacher for our class (3U) is bomb :D I think the yr 11s drew the short end of the stick this year, though. Their 2 unit teacher is alright but 3 unit is taught by one of the worst teachers?? >u<
Wow, having a bad teacher for 2 unit is bad but a bad one for 3 unit must be horrible for the year 11s :(

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Well, at least I know it's just not my school lol, I guess I just have to focus more on self-teaching and tutor but it just feels like a shame wasting my maths periods listening to a bad teacher :/.
That's kind of why I taught myself so far ahead ahahaha
In maths, I never pay attention to the teacher, I just work through trial papers

ml125

HSC
Wow, having a bad teacher for 2 unit is bad but a bad one for 3 unit must be horrible for the year 11s :(
It's kinda gotten to the point where if any of them have study periods they sit in the back of our class and ask our teacher questions whenever we're doing our own work ;-; But nah I've only ever had her once so I don't think she's that bad? ..I hope?

MrKay

HSC
But srs, I don't get why most schools don't care about 2 unit, even though it's way easier compared to 3 unit and especially 4 unit, it should still at least be given some attention because people actually want to do well and get good marks if they chose it (well at least everyone in my class that I've talked to). I would get if they didn't care about general maths since the majority (heavily emphasize the majority, the minority who chose it might be smart but want to get an easier atar) of people who chose it don't care about maths anyway.

Last edited:

MrKay

HSC
It's kinda gotten to the point where if any of them have study periods they sit in the back of our class and ask our teacher questions whenever we're doing our own work ;-; But nah I've only ever had her once so I don't think she's that bad? ..I hope?
Well, i hope the best for those poor extension 3 year 11 kids. Maybe they could all complain to the coordinator and get a different teacher since it is an extension course?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
But srs, I don't get why most schools don't care about 2 unit, even though it's way easier compared to 3 unit and especially 4 unit, it should still at least be given some attentionbecause people actually want to do well and get good marks if they chose it (well at least everyone in my class that I've talked to). I would get if they didn't care about general maths since the majority (heavily emphasize the majority, the minority who chose it might be smart but want to get an easier atar) of people who chose it don't care about maths anyway.
My school doesn't have general maths, so 2U is kind of where all the kids who are not very good at maths but don't want to drop it entirely hang out ahaha

ml125

HSC
I would get if they didn't care about general maths since the majority (heavily emphasize the majority, the minority who chose it might be smart but want to get an easier atar) of people who chose it don't care about maths anyway.
Are the teachers for general better than your 2 unit teacher?? If so then what are they doing omg ._.

qwert73

HSC
I don't think it is because they don't care about it, it is probably just the teacher rotations because they can't exactly tell a teacher they are shit and that they're not allowed to teach. e.g. the year before you got the good teacher, but you got the bad one, then the year after you gets the good one. This happened at my school, luckily I've only ever gotten the 2 best math teachers.

MrKay

HSC
My school doesn't have general maths, so 2U is kind of where all the kids who are not very good at maths but don't want to drop it entirely hang out ahaha
Well, that actually explains a lot about your situation then. I guess my school is just unlucky since we have a shitload of general classes where all the "kids that are not very good at maths" hang out but still get stuck with a shit teacher for 2 unit.

MrKay

HSC
Are the teachers for general better than your 2 unit teacher?? If so then what are they doing omg ._.
No, all the teachers for general at my school are pretty shit as well (except for one teacher, but he dosen't care about teaching well in general maths anyway). Idk maybe the maths faculty at my school is just shit overall lol.

Last edited:

MrKay

HSC
I don't think it is because they don't care about it, it is probably just the teacher rotations because they can't exactly tell a teacher they are shit and that they're not allowed to teach. e.g. the year before you got the good teacher, but you got the bad one, then the year after you gets the good one. This happened at my school, luckily I've only ever gotten the 2 best math teachers.
Well if that is the case then the 2 unit class at my school has gotten shit teachers 3 years in a row then. Starting to consider if there was a curse placed on the 2 unit course at my school then lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)