Reasoning (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Posting this in the 2U section as it's still within the scope of the course (even though it's just my homework).

I have the graph in front of me so I can pretty much infer the answer from just that. But say I wanted to do the following question without it.

Would the following method work:

Another question. Is this acceptable to find the limit as x approaches 3 from above (right)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Posting this in the 2U section as it's still within the scope of the course (even though it's just my homework).

I have the graph in front of me so I can pretty much infer the answer from just that. But say I wanted to do the following question without it.

Would the following method work:

Another question. Is this acceptable to find the limit as x approaches 3 from above (right)

I can't see the graph (actually, realised now it was for the function whose formula was given), but if the slope (namely [f(x) – f(3)]/(x – 3) ) approaches 2 from either side and f is continuous there (In fact, if [f(x) – f(3)]/(x – 3) approaches 2 (or some other finite number in general) from either side, then this actually implies that f is continuous there), then yes, f'(3) = 2. What you said is correct too, due to the result proved here: http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...nction-has-a-limit-must-it-agree-with-that-li.

And yes, the answer is 0 for the other limit Q.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)