Motion question (1 Viewer)

Shuuya

HSC
Question:

A ball is thrown into the air, and the height of the ball above the ground in metres after t seconds is given by the equation

x = 2e - t + 2log(t+1)

(i) Find when the ball comes to a rest.

I don't know if I'm being stupid but I can't seem to solve for t when x = 0 ;-;

kawaiipotato

HSC
The ball comes to a rest when the velocity equals zero. Letting x = 0 means you're finding the time where the ball started.

Shuuya

HSC
I am stupid.

(thanks! xD)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Setting x = 0 and solving for t would give the time when x = 0 (of course), not in general the time when the ball started. (The time of starting is just t = 0 of course. In this Q., the ball starts at x = 2e.)

Shuuya

HSC
Setting x = 0 and solving for t would give the time when x = 0 (of course), not in general the time when the ball started. (The time of starting is just t = 0 of course. In this Q., the ball starts at x = 2e.)
I completely missed that bit haha.

I was thinking that x would be 0 initially and when the ball landed, so I tried solving for t, completely forgetting about velocity etc.. :p

leehuan

HSC
We call essentially all of the motion taught to be under the category of rectilinear motion, which is motion along a straight line so to speak. We compare the motion of a particle to that of one point - the origin.

Simple harmonic motion is a special type of rectilinear motion and should never be distinguished from it. It is specifically motion exhibiting an oscillatory behaviour about a fixed point.

I will not state specifically that projectile motion is rectilinear out of doubt, but we analyse it the exact same way. The only difference is that projectile motion is analysed in two-dimensions, not one.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
We call essentially all of the motion taught to be under the category of rectilinear motion, which is motion along a straight line so to speak. We compare the motion of a particle to that of one point - the origin.

Simple harmonic motion is a special type of rectilinear motion and should never be distinguished from it. It is specifically motion exhibiting an oscillatory behaviour about a fixed point.

I will not state specifically that projectile motion is rectilinear out of doubt, but we analyse it the exact same way. The only difference is that projectile motion is analysed in two-dimensions, not one.
3 dimensions :)
time is a dimension

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Rectilinear motion is motion along a straight line, so only one-dimensional motion. For projectile motion in the HSC, it's two-dimensional. (Referring to spatial dimensions.)

Further info and equations about rectilinear motion may be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_motion .

Here's a more detailed page on the equations of motion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion .

And here's the Wikipedia article about projectile motion, including lots of equations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile_motion .

There's also lots of useful projectile formulas here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile .

(Of course in the HSC, you're not allowed to quote these formulas. So it would be better to use those Wikipedia pages' formulas as exercises of things to prove about projectile motion, and maybe keep in mind that there are such formulae, which may be useful at times.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)