Thoughts on 2017 2U CSSA? (1 Viewer)

buddyhield

HSC
How did you guys go?

I already know I lost a few marks so hopefully above 90.

HSC
How did you guys go?

I already know I lost a few marks so hopefully above 90.
The train track question was good, so was the one about the point M(4, -1) lying outside the circle. Q14 was harder than Q16 I think.

Was the financial question n = 12 years or n = 13 years, because she can't make a 13th withdrawal of $M without the amount remaining becoming negative?

HSC
Alright I suppose - exposed to some new styles of questions which pressed me more than usual. Got through them though.

What did people do for part (ii) of the wheel question, where you needed to (I think) determine the vertical height of M?
Yeah the wheel question was the train track question, I made a trapezium connecting O, M', H and M where M' was the new position of M and M'H was the vertical height of M'. Then used trigonometry to find M'H

HSC
I got 12.5 (1 d.p.) so I wrote that, and underneath I wrote approximately equal to 13 (based on rounding, not logic).

I don't think you'd be penalised for writing either 12 or 13.
Are they allowed to accept two different answers?

HSC
What did everyone get for the last question and the verticle height of M (wheel) question? Also I recall the volume question having a weird answer.

HSC
The answer to the very last question (value of q for which L is a minimum) was √(3/2).

Just worked that out and realised I made a mistake in the examination. :spzz:
What did you write in the exam? Are you sure the answer is sqrt(3/2)?

I put -sqrt(3/2) because Q was defined to be in the third quadrant and Q(2q, 3/q) so q could not be defined for positive values. And L = 16q^2 + 32/q^2, so a negative q does not yield a negative length L.

Last edited:

buddyhield

HSC
The train track question was good, so was the one about the point M(4, -1) lying outside the circle. Q14 was harder than Q16 I think.

Was the financial question n = 12 years or n = 13 years, because she can't make a 13th withdrawal of $M without the amount remaining becoming negative?
i got 12 years hopefully that's right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)