2u vs 3u (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
So I’ve chosen to do math 2u and 3u for prelim next year. I'll most probably drop 3u in year 12 (only plan to do 10 units in total) and am wondering how beneficial doing 3u helps in 2u and whether uni level maths requires 3u?

Last edited:

captainneuro

HSC
So I’ve chosen to do math 2u and 3u for prelim next year. I will most probably drop 3u in year 12 (only plan to do 10 units in total) and am wondering how beneficial doing 3u helps in 2u and whether uni level maths requires 3u?
I’d recommend keeping it but that depends on what you want to do in uni..

tazhossain99

HSC
So I’ve chosen to do math 2u and 3u for prelim next year. I will most probably drop 3u in year 12 (only plan to do 10 units in total) and am wondering how beneficial doing 3u helps in 2u and whether uni level maths requires 3u?
Depends how mathematically able you are and the course you wish to do at uni. Numerous courses have 2u as the bare minimum for assumed knowledge whilst many others have 3u (e.g. most if not all engineering streams). Imo, you should do it... it doesnt hurt having an extra unit. These are just opinions, its entirely up to u :)

sida1049

HSC
If you're serious about taking real uni maths units and not just the most basic stuff, then you should do extension 1. In uni, having done 2U maths is the equivalent of saying "yeah I've done a bit of basic arithmetic, and I'm not planning to do any maths whatsoever in the foreseeable future".

At USYD, the "normal" first year maths units assume that you've done extension 1.

captainneuro

HSC
So if I were to do an allied health (don't really know which one) at USYD it'd pretty much require 3u maths?
No lmao, a lot have just hsc mathematics (2u) as assumed for the units. Depends on the course tho.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
See how much you like it by the end of Yr11 and choose from there. You've got plenty of time.
In all honesty I regret dropping 3U, so unless you're failing or absolutely dread it, I'd give it a chance.
Even if your course only requires 2U, if you're enjoying the subject then by all means keep it, it could come in handy

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
489: Your 3U may come in handy one day. You never know what course you may later decide to pursue and which requires a 3U background.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)