maxima minima help (1 Viewer)

sssona09

HSC
heey guys how would I do these
1. The revenue from a company's product is given by R=180m+42m^2-m^3 where m is the output (per unit of time). Determine the output that will give maximum revenue.

2. An objet is projected into the air. The height of the object after t seconds is given by h=60t-5t^2
(I) what is the maximum height the object reaches?
(ii) how long after reaching the maximum height is the object 100m above its starting level?

for 2i I got 180m? is it right? dunno the rest :(

thank you all!

integral95

HSC
1. you find dR/dm (differentiate with respect to m), then let it equal to 0 and solve for m, make sure that the solution is positive.

2.i 180 is correct.

2ii) you have to solve the equation,

The answer has to be greater than 6 since it occurs after reaching the maximum height.

sssona09

HSC
1. you find dR/dm (differentiate with respect to m), then let it equal to 0 and solve for m, make sure that the solution is positive.

2.i 180 is correct.

The answer has to be greater than 6 since it occurs after reaching the maximum height.
thank you!!

sssona09

HSC

2.i 180 is correct.

can you please help with one last one
A piece of wire 20cm in length is bent to form a rectangle. Find the dimensions of the rectangle so as to enclose maximum area

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
can you please help with one last one
A piece of wire 20cm in length is bent to form a rectangle. Find the dimensions of the rectangle so as to enclose maximum area
The perimeter of the rectangle is obviously 20cm. Let the sides be and , and then find in terms of . Once both sides are expressed in terms of , you can obtain a formula for area which you can then differentiate.

For reference, your area formula should be (oops!).

Last edited:

HeroWise

HSC

Im learning too so i just planned to give it a try and post the working out for people who might need help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)