Textbooks (1 Viewer)

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
I'm just wondering... what textbooks are you guys using for Math's?

I'm using "Math's in Focus" by Margaret Grove, and "2 Unit Mathematics" by S.B. Jones and K.E. Couchman.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Maths in focus (ext.1 as well)
Excel 2unit maths
Fitzy - New Senior Maths
Understanding yr12 maths (ext.1 as well)
Get Smart Mathematics (ext.1 as well)
HSC maths course summaries (phoenix)

i use all them for 2 unit :p

blake

I find Excel absolutly a piece of crap.

The two bibles are:

* Phoenix Senior Maths Past Papers: HSC 2 Unit Maths (1989-1998)
* Sucess One HSC: HSC Mathematics (1986-2001)

The top one is the maths past paper questions in topic order, which is good for going through for certain topic exams and learning about certain topics..the second one is more for preparation of the trials/hsc :)

Morgues

Cambridge 3 unit........thats it

I gotta do 2 unit maths twice for the trials.........one was a school paper last tuesday and the catholic one on Monday 20% each

it should be fairly easy after the 3 unit test we had today as that included all of the 2 unit stuff...........then again i only studied 1 night for the 3 unit test :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jenn

New senior is pretty good, its got tougher questions than jones and couchman...
Cambridge is not easy as wel...
excel isnt THAT great.. but has good summaries of stuff

Morgues

You people with 4/5 books actually use them all? I doubt ive done 1/4 of 1 book let alone 4

Confuzzled?!

HSC
Lol. I've got about 4. Only touch one of them...the Maths in Focus one..(along with Excel which is crap) and i've got 2 excel books, dunno why..but they're there. lol.
Only ever touch them before an exam! LOL...like....NOW........

RIght now i'm looking at HSC Maths - Practice Questions by Topic by Rowland Jones, it's pretty okay.
but i dunno 3/4 of what is in that book! i don't even know how to do do Surds!!!! >=\

omg...screwed screwed screwed *runs around like a headless chicken* .............*or like homer running around going "ahh ahh ahh ahh ah" lol.

:)

newayz..got tutoring now, so i'm off..*grrr, tutoring...grrrr*

BAI BAI

Note: i hate maths in focus, i hate excel, i dislike maths altogether! LOL

sif not 99

yeah I use jones and couchman and the teacher gives us photocopies outa Corronius, Fitzpatrick, Cambridge and something else,

yeah the Success 1 is a godsend

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by blake

The two bibles are:

The top one is the maths past paper questions in topic order, which is good for going through for certain topic exams and learning about certain topics..the second one is more for preparation of the trials/hsc :)
lol yeah excel's theory is useless, but hey! they got moderate level revision sets :D

and anyway, isnt the those 2 books u mentioned just past papers? not really a textbook..

Morgues

But why do you need multiple text books? Dont they just explain the same thing in a different order

Confuzzled?!

HSC
ahh..well..some have decent explanations and stuff....
but then..after a while..u look at them and go "WAT THE HELL" lol.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Morgues
But why do you need multiple text books? Dont they just explain the same thing in a different order
well yeah, but different text books have different examples, and more diverse examples toward the harder applications of a certain theory
not to mention the fact that some texts explain things clearer than others

Nightshade

Pain in the ass
HSC
You only need one textbok to learn from, making sure u understand it which is half the battle. I like Jones & Couchman coz it has lotsa questions. The excel book has good revision questions.... then i just ask for past papers from my teacher.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Jones and couchman is apparently really easy isnt it? thats why my school doesnt use it

have u used Fitzpatrick? that has good challenging questions to prepare for those Q9-10 buggers

Devil

Originally posted by blake

The two bibles are:

devil:- i just want to know where you can get the Phoniex Senior Maths Past Papers from ... please help!!!

COMPREHENSIVE

I think CAMBRIDGE is by far the best text book, it has clear defintions, explanations and example questions.

It's questions are also great because they varie in difficulty in style which alows students on different levels including 3 unit students to use the book.

If you want practice for questions 9 and 10 you should try some questions out of CORONEOS how ever thats the only good thing about that paticular book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)