who's up for communications? (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Communications (Journalism) is my 5th preference.... so I probably won't end up at Bathurst.... if all goes according to plan UAI wise. UTS is my goal.

lilly

comm at bathurst

hey guys
i'm a second year Public Relations student at bathurst.
Bathurst is the place to be for communications. yes i know it is the country, but if you want to get ahead and get the best possible degree in the industry then come to bathurst. Sydney and UTS do offer comm degrees, but talking to coroporate manangers in comm they all say that job applicants from charles sturt get first prefrence. i am not just saying this because i go to bathurst, i wouuldn't convince you to go to come to the country if it wasn't worthwhile, don't listen to the bullshit surrounding such unis as sydney and uts. while csu doesn't have the general rep like other uni's, it's turnover in students going into the comm industry is comparable to no other uni. we get a hands on experience of everything. all those journo's out there, i did the auto-cue( like the newsreaders) in my first year at uni !!!!
where else, but bathurst
and let me just say that because you live away from home, you make soooo many friends, girls that i went to school with have really stayed in their original group from school. i have made sooooo many friends.....
it's worth the 2 and 1/2 hour drive from sydney !!!!!!!!!

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Didn't the likes of Andrew Denton and Amanda Kellar come out of CSU? Thats gotta say something..

fringey

HSC
I just love the thumbs up on this post. Communications all the way!!!!

fringey

HSC
ohh jizmister don't tell me that u want to do communications aswell!! Oh of course with such top choices how could anyone ever even question it! A standout student already!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It seems like the cream of the crop wanna do communications.... no wonder the UAIs are so damn high at places like UTS.

How do you think CSU Bathurst compares to say, Wollongong's communication course? I haven't heard much about Wollongong's course.

beemo5678

Hey guys,

doing the HSC and have put in a few communication preferences at CSU and wollongong. I did work experience at the SMH and have correspondence with several journalists including Bruce Elder (travel writer) and Vita Palestrant (financial writer) as well as Tom Burton (executive editor) and the word around is that a straight journalism course is not necessarily the best way to go.

I have been told to start off by doing something i enjoy as journalism should be seen as a destination on a longer more diverse career path. It is a good place to build up the super while bullshitting on about everything you have learnt over the years.

Get out there and do something else whether it be cooking, building, directing or number crunching, you will have skills perfectly suited to a certain part of journalism.

Now i have to go study, is anyone else as annoyed as me that they haven't done any study in the last two weeks....calm blue ocean ben, you'll get where you want to be regardless!!:p

mz_jai

I'd love to get into CSU but i think my chances are slim to none due to the amount of work i've put into my HSC :S but it sounds as though its a mad place to be for communications!!

roller_barbie

wat the mark to get into journalism at csu?? i wanna go to uts only coz i dont wanna leave my MOMMY and i like my job at general pants here in syd. if i go to csu how do i work and earn money????

jizmiester

well there is not set uai for journalism at CSU, if you put the course in your preference list you should have recieved a questionarire and a list of essay questions that you send to the uni in december.

SO the questions, the two essays, along with your uai and your performance in stuff like ext 1 and ext 2 english is what you need to do to get in.

As for Jobs in Bathurst, theres not much! i went to visit the uni and from what i can see there are about 35pubs and 1 surf shop! so i think u'd be better off getting a job at a bar or club near the uni

hope that helped...

swangal

communication at CSU is my 6th preference so i doubt whether or not ill end up there but Ive heard lotsa great things about the course there...so u never know i could one day become a bathurst uni goer!

bex

HSC
I did work experience at the SMH and have correspondence with several journalists including Bruce Elder (travel writer) and Vita Palestrant (financial writer) as well as Tom Burton (executive editor) and the word around is that a straight journalism course is not necessarily the best way to go.
did you get to talk to chris mcgillion who also writes for smh?? he is one of or lecturers at CSU and would be able to give you a good perspective from both the unis pont of view and an industry POV.

Umm communications can seem pretty tight and i freaked out about getting in up till the minute when i checked my results.. dont worry too much bout uais at csu cause i got in with 87.85 and other people i know got in the low 70's, whilst some of my friends got above 90.. its all very random..

I completely agree with Lilly and endorse everything she says cause its true!!

As for jobs in bathurst- yes theyre tight, although they have a few surf shops (surprisingly seeing as the beach is far far away!- but there is a river which you can swim in), fast food places, restaurants and of course the pubs where most students end up getting work...

jizmiester

i got a uai of 90.65 last friday,

although my friend didn't do quite aswell, he got 49 and put all 9 prefrences at bathurst...what are his chances say in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?

do u know of any1 who would have gotten that low yet still made it into CSU based on questionairre and essay?

fringey

HSC
I highly doubt it!! The com courses are sooo small (20ppl in some) so I doubt that someone with a UAI of 49 would even be considered. When I spoke to CSU I got the impression that you needed 70 or above to get in-- because the students they accept have to be able to handle uni work and a UAI of 49 indicates that perhaps that, this person cannot.

bex

HSC
im a com at csu and there are 20 people in my course.. its really small! the lowest i know of is low 60's.. if he doesnt get into csu maybe he should go to macleay or tafe or something, do some work experience and apply for the year after? a years prior experience under his belt will make his application a lot better cause its not just based on his uai.. as well its hard to get work experience whilst at bathurst so he could use next year as a springboard for later on....

bex

HSC
the students they accept have to be able to handle uni work and a UAI of 49 indicates that perhaps that, this person cannot.

----- thats a good point although the com courses are a walk in the park compared to some others!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)