Applying For On Campus Accommodation (1 Viewer)

HSC
If I just send the "Accommodation Advice Payment Form" back to the good people at CSU in Bathurst, does it mean that I've registered as wanting on campus accommodation placement? Or is there other forms I had to fill out too?

Im so confused !

07evansi

HSC
You have to complete the online application form too.

HSC
the paper form i was talking about is the one that you put your payment details on.... and then fax/mail it to CSU

Matt Samson

HSC
Do be prepared for the eventuality that you will not get on-campus accommodation. This means you'll have to organise an off-campus place, furniture and other essentials.

There are plenty of student places around town that are already furnished, but most don't include the bedroom stuff (desk, bed etc.).

And if you don't get an on-campus place, I would quickly organise off-campus stuff, because you won't get anything decent during O-Week, by then it will be too late and you'll end up with the scraps.

Also remember that if you have to go off-campus, you'll likely have to pay a bond, plus two weeks in advance. This is Real Estate standard practice. This means (for example) if you're sharing with 3 other people, and if the rent is $250.00 per week, your share of the bond will be $333.33, as well as having to pay two weeks advance which would be $166.66, the total payment being $499.99.....

And you have not even thought about furniture, utility connections (phone, internet, electricity, gas).

And people who have only lived on-campus wonder why those living off-campus are anti-social for the first few weeks.... Its because we have no money.

Last edited:

Matt Samson

HSC
loser101 said:
around how many miss out?
Depends on the campus.

But I have seen a waiting list with 150+ students per campus.

A lot do miss out, but this is why I am saying that you should all be prepared for it. By being prepared, I mean heading to the town you're going to, and organising accommodation BEFORE O-Week.

There is an off-campus accommodation forum: http://forums.csu.edu.au/perl/forums.pl?forum_id=Off_Campus_Accommodation2_forum&task=frameset , which is a good place to start looking if you're unsuccessful.

You'll have 11 days to do this after the ballot results are known, and my suggestion is that if you get placed on the waiting list, you use this time to organise suitable accommodation.

Some years the waiting list can move quickly, and some years it hardly moves. Just depends on how many people who get on-campus accommodation decide they don't want it. But I wouldn't use that as a security buffer.

loser101

HSC
when can students move into on campus accomodation.

on the application form i read from the 15th feb onwards

but on the orientation form i read that you pick up the keys on the monday 11th??

so which is it?

Last edited:

Matt Samson

HSC
loser101 said:
when can students move into on campus accomodation.

on the application form i read from the 15th feb onwards

but on the orientation form i read that you pick up the keys on the monday 11th??

so which is it?
The 11th.

The 15th would be for returning students.

Last edited:

loser101

HSC
a few questions about accommodation if you dont mind...

1. are we allowed portable heaters in our room?

2. is there AV outlets for TVs?

3. how fast is the internet connection?

4. are the floors carpeted or tiled?

5. do we have to pay for local phone calls?

6. r we allowed to bring some gym equipment like a dumbells, barbell and a bench?

Matt Samson

HSC
loser101 said:
a few questions about accommodation if you dont mind...

6. is it allowed that we have some gym equipment like a barbell and a bench?
1. I think the rooms have heaters in them, if not I think you could bring one;
2. Not sure, but I have seen students use rabbit ears;
3. The Internet connection is fast, as it is using the University network. But you'll be charged for every MB you download, the current rate is 2.2c per MB (one of the downsides of living on-campus);
4. Not sure, each accommodation style is different, but the ones I have seen have carpet in the rooms;
5. You'll either have a PBX or VoIP phone connected to the University network. Internal calls (calls within the university) are free, but to make an outside call you have to buy a phone card. The best option is just to get a pre-paid cap plan on a mobile. $29 = $130 of calls, text and more on Vodafone.

loser101

HSC
"3. The Internet connection is fast, as it is using the University network. But you'll be charged for every MB you download, the current rate is 2.2c per MB (one of the downsides of living on-campus)"

thanks #3 sucks though,

would it be possible to connect your Laptop from a Lan outlet in the Library/computer lab and download free from there?

Matt Samson

HSC
loser101 said:
"3. The Internet connection is fast, as it is using the University network. But you'll be charged for every MB you download, the current rate is 2.2c per MB (one of the downsides of living on-campus)"

thanks #3 sucks though,

would it be possible to connect your Laptop from a Lan outlet in the Library/computer lab and download free from there?
Nope, as even the Library computers require you to login. Anything you connect to the CSU Network requires you to login (and therefore get charged).

I have heard of people playing networked games within the university (between dorms), because internal traffic is free.

Matt Samson

HSC
loser101 said:
so if i only have a desktop PC, I would need to bring a printer also?? or they have computers at the library for which i can do my printing from.
You can do printing in the library, computer labs etc. But you'll be charged 9c per page.

Universities are huge money making rorts.

lachlan43

In Wagga Wagga, there are printers in the Jack Cross Computer Centre. It's 11c per page B&W or 40c per page colour.

few questions about accommodation if you dont mind...

Many people have them. Whether they're allowed, I don't know.

Nope, but some people in cottages plug double adapters in and run the coaxial cable along the wall into their room.

100MBPS in theory. 1c per megabyte.

Carpeted in rooms in Wagga Wagga.

Yes, the cost of a local call. Internal calls cost nothing.

6. r we allowed to bring some gym equipment like a dumbells, barbell and a bench?
Don't know where you'd fit it. Especially the bench. But there is a gym in Wagga.

Matt Samson

HSC
newkid said:
In Wagga Wagga, there are printers in the Jack Cross Computer Centre. It's 11c per page B&W or 40c per page colour.

few questions about accommodation if you dont mind...

Many people have them. Whether they're allowed, I don't know.

Nope, but some people in cottages plug double adapters in and run the coaxial cable along the wall into their room.

100MBPS in theory. 1c per megabyte.

Carpeted in rooms in Wagga Wagga.

Yes, the cost of a local call. Internal calls cost nothing.

Don't know where you'd fit it. Especially the bench. But there is a gym in Wagga.
1c per MB? Must have gone down this year: http://www.csu.edu.au/division/dit/student/resnet/index.htm

And I wouldn't use Skype or any other outside VoIP provider on the rip-off CSU netwok, while the call might be cheap, you'll pay for the data.

CSU needs to have student plans, such as $30 per month for x amount of MB's.

lachlan43

I believe it's gone down every year for the past 4 years. 11c > 2.75c > 2.2c and now 1c. Though don't quote me on that.

$30 for 3000MB? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)