A little help for the first years regarding equipment? (1 Viewer)

cosmic08

HSC
Hey,
So I'm a first year CSU student, and I know there's more than one of us on the forum. :)
Can some of you experienced students help us out with our preparation? I've purchased some pens and notepads and things but I thought if we knew exactly what to bring it will save us time and money on hunting down equipment that's not needed. Coz we all know us Uni kids are poor :)
I also thought now would be a good time to help eachother out as alot of shops like Kmart and BigW will be reducing their stationery as School has already gone back. I know my local BigW had exercise books the other week for less than $1.

So, I'll start.
Are those ring-binder things a good idea? Or exercise books?

Would we need things such as hole-punchers, staplers, glue sticks?

Are loose pages and a clipboard a good idea (to then be stored in a ring binder)?

Does this sound good: pens, lead pencil, ruler, eraser, sharpener, white-out? Or is some of it not needed?

What do we need to take to lectures and tutes, just a notepad and pens/pencils etc? Or Textbooks as well?

And now a random question: Is there set meal/lunch times? Or is it whatever spare time you have between classes?

Too bad if these questions seem stupid. I haven't been to Uni before so I don't know what to expect, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation. I'd rather be prepared with the right equipment than unprepared. Feel free to add more questions and thanks in advance for any help :)

Emzki

HSC
I dont know much about what stationary etc is needed because im a first years as well but all ive got is a heap of pens, hole punch, 5 subject notebook and thats bout it i think.

There are no set lunch times i dont think... but there are specific times that the dining room is open if you have catered accom.

Matt Samson

HSC
cosmic08 said:
So, I'll start.
Are those ring-binder things a good idea? Or exercise books?

Would we need things such as hole-punchers, staplers, glue sticks?

Are loose pages and a clipboard a good idea (to then be stored in a ring binder)?

Does this sound good: pens, lead pencil, ruler, eraser, sharpener, white-out? Or is some of it not needed?

What do we need to take to lectures and tutes, just a notepad and pens/pencils etc? Or Textbooks as well?

And now a random question: Is there set meal/lunch times? Or is it whatever spare time you have between classes?

Too bad if these questions seem stupid. I haven't been to Uni before so I don't know what to expect, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation. I'd rather be prepared with the right equipment than unprepared. Feel free to add more questions and thanks in advance for any help :)
Whatever you feel comfortable with taking notes on. You should have a few 2B pencils in case you have a multiple choice test.

There are no set times for lunch, not unless you're getting catered. But even then you will have to work around it yourself as the catering wont work around you. That is another good reason to be uncatered, gives you far more freedom.

lachlan43

You won't have time to use white-out in a lecture, unless your lecturer is using a two-hour lecture for one hour's worth of work (which doesn't happen).

Generally, your lecturer will tell you if you have to take textbooks. I'd take them to tutes, but generally not lectures. I'm going shopping on Wednesday, I'm getting 2 notebooks, one for each on-campus subject. I tried using the multi-subject notebooks last year, but separate works better for me.

As far as stationery that you're not taking to class goes, it's whatever you're comfortable with. Better to be safe than sorry, but I use ring binders, and put any handouts I get in plastic sheets and put them in the ring binders.

KaLibuR

HSC
I'm a first year Uni student as well, going into Computer Science.

A few mates and I are doing the same course and all of us have laptops. Anybody know if it's acceptable to be using a laptop to take notes etc? It happens quite alot in the movies but then again, they are movies (and also often set in America).

Also, I assume we will be able to ask someone about this sort of stuff during Orientation Week? We won't need notepads and stuff during the week, right?

Thanks!
Curtis

Thunderbolt

HSC
I was always curious about the use of digital recorders, even the ones that plug into your iPod.
My laptop doesn't have a microphone, or a decent battery; so the iPod is the next best thing.
Are there any hard and fast rules about using these at lectures? Particularly at CSU Bathurst? I don't suppose any IT lecturers would mind, just not sure about anyone who lectures for the BJusticeStudies(Pol) degree.

Thanks.

K

katie_tully

i wouldnt be too worried about what stationary you have.
essesstials are;
blue, black and red pens
pencils
rulers

dude, by second semester you're just going to be bringing whatever piece of scrap paper you can find to lectures, so more importantly than books is a folder where you can stash all your strays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)