dent in orange 2010 (1 Viewer)

wintergate

HSC
N/A
hey guys,
anyone thinking of heading all the way down to orange to do the bachelor of dental science?
i might be transferring this year from commerce at monash (clayton) to orange.

anyone else planning to apply whether it be through year 12 or uni?

oh and also, anyone know what its like down at orange?
the thought of the lack of social life scares me

daze

HSC
Hey,

I'm applying for dent at CSU as well. I'd love to hear how the current students are liking the program. Unfortunately I know nothing about Orange as I'm all the way over in Canada :S

awbeyona

HSC
Hello,

Currently, I'm studying "Bachelor of Dental Surgery" in Uni. of Adel. (SA).
Do you live in Sydney? If the answer is "yes" - stay in Sydney. Study Bachelor of Medical Science first, then study Bachelor of Dentistry (In USYD, Post Grad.)\
I have been to Orange and it is very quite... nothing to do. CSU is one of the smallest uni in Australia and the worst uni in Australia??? (maybe same level as Bond Uni??). If I was you I will choose Syd Uni.

Thank you

ANNA BEYONA

wintergate

HSC
N/A
I don't really mind if it's a crap uni or not, as long as it gets me the qualifications to practice... cos that really what matters in the end.

I don't have UMAT so, Orange is my only option.

Do any of you know how far sydney is by train?

oh yeah, i'd also like to know how current students are liking it and the amount of different cultures there are doing the course i.e. caucasians, asians (i'm assuming mainly caucasians because it is a rural area)

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
is it only in orange ???
i thought it was in bathurst too :(

Manda-Jean

HSC
Do any of you know how far sydney is by train?
No trains run to orange on a daily basis to far out only country link trains run out that far... and thats no very often..
Im sorry but i lol'd at that...

And mesbaz... orange has a brand new dentistry school.. so no not at Bathurst

wintergate

HSC
N/A
im from melbourne so i wouldn't have clue about NSW on top of how countryside stuff work lol.

but damn... orange sounds incredibly boring :(

Manda-Jean

HSC
im from melbourne so i wouldn't have clue about NSW on top of how countryside stuff work lol.

but damn... orange sounds incredibly boring :(
Ahh its not to bad, could think of worse places.. Its not really a country town its a pretty large scale town.

( its only about 2 hours away from me)

Thecorey0

HSC
Ahh its not to bad, could think of worse places.. Its not really a country town its a pretty large scale town.
I agree - I live 1 hour from it. Luckily it's not at Dubbo or further west. Although west of the mountain is the real Australia in my opinion.

wintergate

HSC
N/A
So what's the life like apart from uni hours? Do most people just stay at home (dorms) and study? Or do people go out alot (if theres anywhere to go...)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
if you have ever lived or been to a rural town, then you would have some idea whats available. personally, i know nothing about their program. the new facilities are also pretty tempting. the downside is that you would be in the 2nd cohort and are still essentially the 'guinea pigs' for the programs. they would be modifying the program based on ur cohort and the one below u guys. so perhaps the standards may not be as good as some of the more established universities.
however, i do know that their course is definitely certified up until 2013(?) and getting a degree from there would allow you to practice anywhere in australia which is basically what everyone is aiming to do. so no problems there.
in the way of lifestyle, if you are used to the city then it could take you a while to adjust. there definitely arent that many (if any) nightclubs, shopping centres, resturants etc. this is one of the reasons they are reluctant to accept students from the city. the other is that they want students to stay and practice locally and city students are more likely to go back.
btw, CSU isnt the smallest/worst uni in Australia. it is far from that. it has many campuses and collectively, it is quite a large university.

jayfour

HSC
awbeyona - I noticed that all of your posts promote U. Sydney's Bachelor of Medical Science courses. Do you work for them?

The truth is that all accredited dentistry courses will be pretty similar - otherwise they wouldn't get accreditation from the Australian Dental Council. The big difference will be everything else about the unis - admin, general facilities, location.

boxhunter91

HSC
Hey Guys,
Im highly interested in doing Dental Science at CSU.
Just want to know does this course fully accredit you as a dentist?
Regards.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Hello,

Currently, I'm studying "Bachelor of Dental Surgery" in Uni. of Adel. (SA).
Do you live in Sydney? If the answer is "yes" - stay in Sydney. Study Bachelor of Medical Science first, then study Bachelor of Dentistry (In USYD, Post Grad.)\
I have been to Orange and it is very quite... nothing to do. CSU is one of the smallest uni in Australia and the worst uni in Australia??? (maybe same level as Bond Uni??). If I was you I will choose Syd Uni.

Thank you

ANNA BEYONA
seriously, USyd is pretty shit for dental science and medicine. their course is very old and the methodology taught is not really accepted anymore. new universities have their benefits in that they teach up-to-date material. this can be a disadvantage, but if they teach it well, it is looked upon favourably by employers

ill say this again, CSU is by no means the worst in australia. stop promoting USyd dentistry to high school students because it is quite frankly a waste of time. 7 years as opposed to 5? you come out with the same qualifications and same salary. 2 years of extra HECs or 2 years of earning $70k?? if i was you, i certainly WOULDN'T choose USyd.

luxslash89

HSC
seriously, USyd is pretty shit for dental science and medicine. their course is very old and the methodology taught is not really accepted anymore. new universities have their benefits in that they teach up-to-date material. this can be a disadvantage, but if they teach it well, it is looked upon favourably by employers

ill say this again, CSU is by no means the worst in australia. stop promoting USyd dentistry to high school students because it is quite frankly a waste of time. 7 years as opposed to 5? you come out with the same qualifications and same salary. 2 years of extra HECs or 2 years of earning $70k?? if i was you, i certainly WOULDN'T choose USyd.
Dear Fresh.
Do not sweat ur balls. Ive been tracking his comments, and i dont think his goal is to promote USyd. I think hes trying to throw competition off :)

spdr20

HSC
Hey Guys,

Not too sure where to post this, but thought id do it here. With respect to that application form, do a lot of you have genuine dental experience? I mean honestly, the only people with professional experience in dentistry are therapists or dental nurses. And whats funny is that the CSU application talks about "regional" health, which i find to be strange, as i thought orange was rural! Im sayign that because im from wollongong and thats "officially" classed as regional. So not too sure, in a formal sense, if there after strong rural students.....

And i wonder if they get many grads are applying....... haha

Anyway good luck to you folks!
Thought id let you know, i spoke to judy stone of CSU. She seems to really drill down that application form, so if anything, its the application form which can make or break you.. Though im sure everyone knows that here.

wintergate

HSC
N/A
is there a difference between rural and regional? i tried dictionary.com'ing it but i couldnt make any sense out of it.

and i've already submitted my application so... hopefully its to the standard that judy stone expects. she doesn't seem like the nicest lady you can ever talk to.

spdr20

HSC
is there a difference between rural and regional? i tried dictionary.com'ing it but i couldnt make any sense out of it.

and i've already submitted my application so... hopefully its to the standard that judy stone expects. she doesn't seem like the nicest lady you can ever talk to.

haha yeah judy stone is an interesting character, to say the least. Is it just me, or can she make someone feel really nervious! But then again, shes probably sick of all the phone calls!

And I'm pretty sure theres a difference between regional and rural. But for CSU's application sake, i think there classing everything as regional. Which is hell confusing. But maybe im just bein really anal here!

and good luck with your application winter gate. Are youy a school leaver?

boxhunter91

HSC
Well i got everything ready. Just need to get Justice of Peace to sign my Year 11/12 marks. Man they are fail Im doing so much better now :(
Then Express ship monday morning. Should get there by Tuesday Arvo with time to spare :D.
Good luck everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)