How do you manage to pay to live on campus? (1 Viewer)

Popo Nana

At the moment, I'm in Yr12, but I completed the Software Design & Development course at the end of last year. Around that time, I came on here to look for last minute advice regarding the HSC, and have visited regularly since then. Now that everyone is off and starting at their respective universities, I've begun researching for myself just how much it costs to live away from home.

I'm interested in doing the B Computer Science (Games Technology) course in Bathurst, and have found many different packages, the most reasonable being around $3,500 per year for a seperate little place. Since I don't exactly have a huge pile of money lying around, I'm beginning to wonder exactly how to afford living away from home. Accommodation, food, clothes, nights out...there's just so much to pay for!

I figure that people here would be able to help me more than those living nearby (since some of you probably live on campus). So, my question to you, is how do you pay to live there? Is it easy to get a job out at Bathurst? Is there even time to maintain a job when you do a full-time course?

Much confusion,

~Popo Nana

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
take a year off work your arse off earn 16k, become independent and get paid by the governemnt to go to uni and work a shift as well anywhere. that will give u enough dosh to pull through, that or buy lotto tickets man

Popo Nana

Just as well I'm a teetotaller, I guess v_v

Thanks, crazybrad. It wasn't exactly the answer I was hoping for, but from talking to people that have gone through Uni, it looks like it's the only way to survive financially.

Last edited:

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
with my last 1.10 on sat i bought a scratchie, won 4 bucks and went to the tav, ahh sweet beer. now im broke until thursday, ah well.

bex

HSC
Its not that hard... i admit my parents do pay for accomodation and stuff but i paid for my textbooks (theyre soooooooooo expensive), student fees and other stuff with $$ that i earned in the holidays. Nights out can be as cheap or as expensive as you like.. take last nite for example. I drank 2 bottles of PASSION POP (eewwww) at $3.50 a bottle and i was WASTED! entry to the bar is free.. cheapest night ever!
getting a job is hard. but they are out there you jut have to be persistant and it helps if you have a lot of experience in a particular field.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
heaps of my friends have jobs, every1 who has tryed has got 1 at like kmart bigw woolies coles or even at the uni

bex

HSC
thats wagga.. im talking bout bathurst where the games tech course is actually held.

Popo Nana

Originally posted by bex
Its not that hard... i admit my parents do pay for accomodation and stuff but i paid for my textbooks (theyre soooooooooo expensive), student fees and other stuff with $$ that i earned in the holidays.
Yeah, seeing my brother pay for his textbooks made me realise just how much all that stuff is. Since I've gone to a private school since Year 7, my parents are using the excuse "We've paid for your education through the nose for the last 6 years, after this year, if you want to move, you're on your own", which is fair enough, but not very helpful >_>

getting a job is hard. but they are out there you jut have to be persistant and it helps if you have a lot of experience in a particular field.
Can you name any places where there's always work wanted? A couple of us are going to visit in the holidays in about 2-3 weeks and have a look around. If you could name some, I could start scouting around for similar jobs nearby, so when it's time to hand in a resume, I will have some experience.

bex

HSC
well... nowhere really.. the only place i can think of is mcdonalds?

jizmiester

look at coles and the new K-mart thats opening up on william Street...and as for the cheap nights out bex, after those 2 bottles of passion pop you looked like u were havin a good time! but dont have to many GOON and Passion pop binges, otherwise ul start turning into a seedy drunk! balance it out with like once every 2-3 weeks drink good beer or nice spirits!

bex

HSC
haha shuddup jez! which night would that be in reference to!? i think ive had enough double passion pop nights to last me FOREVER!

Popo Nana

It won't die!

I went up yesterday and today (Thurs/Fri) to the Bathurst campus, and I tell you, it makes Highschool seem like preschool. My next question, which I forgot to ask today, is how easy is it to bunk up with friends and acquaintances? And is it cheaper to live on campus, or rent off campus with friends?

jizmiester

What did u think of campus Popo! Too bad we're all on hols at the moment so u didnt get to see the copious amounts of beer bottles scattered around the grounds.

The allocation of rooms is TOTALLY random and bunking up with friends from home is next to impossible cos its done via a ballot system. And as for living off campus...DONT!!!! cos u will make so many more friends on campus and then maybe in ur 2nd or 3rd years decide to move off and rent with some mates. It maybe cheaper...but nowhere near as much fun!!!

Oh yeah...what did you think of TOWERS? ive only been away from my room for 3 weeks and i seriously miss it already!!!! I know it sounds weird, but the place is F*cking awsome! cant wait to go back....WOHOOOO uni in 8 days!!!!

Popo Nana

I personally *LOVED* the campus. I live near Macquarie Uni in Sydney, and I've visited numerous other unis on their open days, and I like CSU Bathurst better than any of them. Two of my friends did the tour with me, and we all thought it rocked. As for the beer bottles, well...>_> hehe, there must have been a couple that you missed, there were a Bundi cans lying around, and bottles hidden in trees near the Information area.

As for Towers, was that the prison-esque area? Obviously wasn't the nicest looking, but I can imagine it being a lot of fun :) Mind you, I'd like to try the JOV too. The guy doing the tour said he started there and thought it was the bomb, so yeah ^_^

Next question, if you don't mind answering: Which is the cheapest place to stay on-campus, and how much is it per week/fortnight?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)