Bachelor of Communication Studies - Journalism (1 Viewer)

Ezalum

HSC
N/A
The advancements in the technology of communication have greatly advanced
I'm currently in year 12 and studding in Extension 2 English. I am looking at doing a Bachelor of Communication Studies with Journalism as my Major. This is something I have always wanted to do, but today, to my dismay, my dreams were shattered. After looking at the 2002 UAI level acceptance index for the University of Sydney I discovered the entry level was a UAI of around 96.5! Unfortunately for me English is my only strong point. Whilst being fairly good at I.T, I am poor when it comes to Maths. :( As a result most of the higher scaling courses such as Chemistry and Physics were a no go for me. After trying my hand at them and failing miserably I dropped them.

Anyway, back to the point. My courses are:
English Advanced
English Extension One
English Extension Two
Information Technology
Maths General
Senior Science

With these courses my chances of scoring a UAI of above 85 seem low. After frantically searching for somewhere with an acceptance level within my reach I stumbled upon your Humble University (which my English Teacher advised me was quite good). The acceptance level was marked with a 'N/A'. Upon querying my careers advisor I was informed that to gain entry in this particular course I was required to attend an interview and submit some form of work based on some aspect of English.
Anyway, to cut to the chase (as if I haven't spent long enough explaining myself already :p ) what am I looking at in regards of obtaining entry to my chosen course? Also, how hard is it to gain entry?
Thanks in advance. :)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm also looking in to this course.... my first preference is Sydney or UTS, but this is a back up....

Also, look at Wollongong uni, they have journalism too, and Macquarie has a Media (Writing) course which is essentually the same as journalism..... also since you don't live that far from Queensland there are unis there that have journalism....

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Oh, I should also add you don't have to do an interview or present any of your written work to get in. What you have to do is answer two essays that will get sent to you after you apply through UAC, and that, along with your UAI, is what determines if you get in to the course.

There was a tertiary day in my town and I talked with the porspective student advisor from Bathurst about it.

It sounds pretty good, it's about 3rd or 4th in my preferences.

bex

HSC
You know, i really dont think the UAI part comes into it too much. I got 87.85 but there are also people in my class who scored in the high 90's as well as low 70's. I really dont get it..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)