n00b question (1 Viewer)

chartster

HSC
hi there

I know I run the risk of a LOT of Usyd / UNSW etc fanboys here, but hear me out! :)

I did the HSC in 2002 and got 90.6 so I was all happy with that, got into UNSW CompSci and was burned a fair bit by that experience. Something I have regretted for some reason, although I reall disliked the experience...

Anyway, I have signed up to go to CSU and do BInfTech via DE (at least for the first semester) to see how I go.

Now I know that Sydney, UNSW, UTS etc all have a bigger profile for school leavers (such as many people here on the site) but the problem is I have a pretty good and responsible job in IT and I don't exactly want to turn my life upside down to go full time at a uni in sydney.

What is it like at CSU? Do people frown on degrees from CSU like its graduates are some kind of inferior? I know that is an extremely patronising thing to say, and I don't believe it myself, but a few people I have spoken to are very anti-anything outside the CBD of sydney.

Nonetheless, my experience with the staff at CSU in making this decision has been REALLY helpful and personable, something I greatly admire! But the question remains, apart from the fanboys that are always one eyed anyway, what do employers think of CSU in your opinion or experience?

Your help is appreciated.

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
Sure Sydeny Uni, UNSW, and UTS, have a higher profile to lil'old CSU in research, age, and distinguished alumni.

But when an employeer (in my opinon) compares transcripts between a CSU and USYD graduate, obviously their going to employ the one with more higher grade average, and greater experience. If they solely compared between different universities, they would be arogant, biased, and stupid.

Its a bit like them employing a bogan USYD student that has bearly passed critical subjects to pass, to a heavily devoted and intellegent CSU student with a distinction average.

The best way to compare between uni's (even though they're basically the sameanyway). Would be between the course's goals, IT at CSU (I think) goal is employment (thats why theres alot of workexperience involved), whereas USYD
(speaking out of rumor) is more research involved.

So it depends on what the employer wants, someone who's had more experience, to someone thats been involved in research. Either way, the employment ratio to that of a CSU student to most others, is basically at the same levels (90-80%). So in the end, I wouldn't worry too much, and if it does become a problem, you can always further your education to masters/phd at one of the higher profile unis.

cheers - and have a good chrissy and new year!

chartster

HSC
thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I had a feeling this was the case, as I have worked in IT as a tech since leaving school and dropping from UNSW.

We have hired a number of people with degrees and from my limited experience it is nice to have, but the person and the experience (hence suitability for the job) was far, far more important.

Reputation used to be a big focus for me, and sure, I don't want to piss away a few years at a two-bit university, but CSU looks good and the staff there have gone right out of their way to help me out. Subject and time flexibility is a major bonus too.

BTW - having a great time off work so far, hope you all are too!! :)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'd second that - The staff at CSU will give you the time of day, and are generally very helpful. As well, CSU is the largest provider of DE and has an exellent name for it - morerover, an employer will probably take your degree AND work experience over someone with just a theoretical degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)