Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Like Tree383Likes

Thread: 2018ers Chit-Chat Thread

HSC

Re: 2018ers Chit-Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by notthedevil View Post
    Hey guys, I've been seeing a few conflicting opinions on the whole idea of whether to study during these summer holidays. Lately I've been doing about 6.5 hours of school work each day (dedicating at least 2 hours for my visual arts major work, 1 hour for EE2 major work, and then writing notes and essays for the rest of my subjects each day). I'm starting to question whether this is necessary though, with a lot of people with high ATARs saying they didn't do heaps during these holidays.

For the (ideal) ATAR that I'm aiming for, am I wasting my time that may be better spent just chilling out? In terms of burning out, I haven't felt any effects of it so far, and each day I feel really happy to be doing my school work (especially major works and French).
    Wow 6.5hrs every day is so impressive!! I struggle to force myself to do like an hour each day haha

If you feel really happy doing your school work then keep doing it!! However, if you start to feel exhausted then it's ok to take a day or two off to chill or hang out with friends. These holidays are probably the best time to chill and to look after yourself before exams come in and the workload increases. Also, the amount of time you should spend studying over the holidays depends on how well you coped with the workload of the first term and your goals eg. if you did really well you don't need to spend as much time studying if you don't want to or you can maybe learn ahead. However, if you struggled during the first term then revising over stuff you've learnt over the holidays would be really beneficial for the new year. People who are naturally smart may not need to spend as much time studying over the holidays because they can easily understand stuff taught in class without much extra work at home, while others may need extra study time to go over hard concepts.

It is true that a lot of people can get high atars without studying too much during these holidays- either they're genius and they don't study much in general or they treat these holidays as a break and use their time efficiently during the school term. But study habits are different for everybody; do what makes you happy.

Enjoy your holidays!
    jalec1810 likes this.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

HSC

Does anyone feel like time is moving way too fast? 2017 FLEW by. We're almost in the middle of January... School starts in 2 weeks... HSC in 8 months... and I'll be 18 by then!

I read an article that time itself is not moving fast, but instead our perception of time is accelerating due to increasing "vibrations". Some weird law of attraction musing. Either way, I find myself steadily descending into a panic attack whenever I think about it. D:
    English Advanced | English Extension 1 | English Extension 2 | Music 2 | Music Extension | Modern History | Ancient History

ATAR Aim: 98.50

Dream Degree: Law/Arts

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by kendallkreene View Post
    Does anyone feel like time is moving way too fast? 2017 FLEW by. We're almost in the middle of January... School starts in 2 weeks... HSC in 8 months... and I'll be 18 by then!

I read an article that time itself is not moving fast, but instead our perception of time is accelerating due to increasing "vibrations". Some weird law of attraction musing. Either way, I find myself steadily descending into a panic attack whenever I think about it. D:
    I agree, time just seems to be slipping away
    A year ago I was excited to start yr11, less than a year from now and I'll have to think about work and money and life stuff
    I like the theory where time goes faster simply because our perceptions of time are relative to how long we've lived eg a year to a five year old is forever bc its a fifth of their lives, but a year to an eighty year old is nothing bc its an eightieth of their life
    studygirl118 likes this.
    Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

HSC

Yeah in HSC time flies because you study heaps and time flies when you're having fun
    ichila101 and supR like this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by same1111 View Post
    Passive transport. Process is diffusion (through semi permeable membrane).
    Thank You!
    Preliminary 2017 || English Advanced - Economics - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1

HSC 2018 || English Standard - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1

ATAR AIM: 92+

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Yeah in HSC time flies because you study heaps and time flies when you're having fun
    Plenty of fun to look forward to.
    ichila101 and supR like this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by HoldingOn View Post
    Plenty of fun to look forward to.
    nek minut
    halfway through half yearlies and everybody wants to go back to yr 7
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Frostguard View Post
    nek minut
    halfway through half yearlies and everybody wants to go back to yr 7
    I already wanna go back to yr7

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by spaghettii View Post
    I already wanna go back to yr7
    No thanks
    supR likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Hi guys,

This is what I've been doing these holidays:

- Catching up on notes for Modern, Ancient and Legal
    - My major works
    - Reading English prescribed texts

My subjects are heavily humanities-based; I do English Adv, Ext 1 and 2, Legal Studies, Modern History and Ancient History. I admit I didn't try as hard in the first semester in Year 12, so I'm using the holidays to catch up, particularly on notes. In no way am I reading ahead for next semester's content, which I see a lot of people doing. Is this bad? Should I speed up my pace and get ahead like everyone else is doing? I don't want to be behind haha
    supR likes this.

HSC

Yeah. Me too. I get that feeling.
    studygirl118 and supR like this.
    Preliminary 2017 || English Advanced - Economics - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1

HSC 2018 || English Standard - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by brbstudying View Post
    Hi guys,

This is what I've been doing these holidays:

- Catching up on notes for Modern, Ancient and Legal
    - My major works
    - Reading English prescribed texts

My subjects are heavily humanities-based; I do English Adv, Ext 1 and 2, Legal Studies, Modern History and Ancient History. I admit I didn't try as hard in the first semester in Year 12, so I'm using the holidays to catch up, particularly on notes. In no way am I reading ahead for next semester's content, which I see a lot of people doing. Is this bad? Should I speed up my pace and get ahead like everyone else is doing? I don't want to be behind haha
    It's not a bad thing to not read ahead, as I'm sure plenty of students won't be doing so. Also, not reading ahead doesn't mean you'll fall behind, as it's all a matter of getting work and notes done on time.
    If you simply want to use these holidays to catch up on notes, do major works and read prescribed texts then by all means do so.
    In all honesty, a kid could hypothetically teach themselves the entire syllabus for a subject in these holidays, but it doesn't guarantee excellent results. Do whatever you feel works best for you.

HSC

For those of you doing Legal Studies, what topics are you doing? As far as I know I'm doing World Order and Consumers.

Also for English, what texts are y'all doing for AOS? I'm doing The Tempest and The Alchemist

HSC

Family & World Order in Legal. For English, we're studying Robert Frost's body of work for AOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preliminary 2017; Advanced English | English Extension 1 | Mathematics | Legal Studies | Economics | Biology | Multimedia
    ATAR Aim; 95

HSC

For Legal we're doing shelter and workplace and for Eng we're doing the Motorcycle Diaries
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenoria View Post
    Family & World Order in Legal. For English, we're studying Robert Frost's body of work for AOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lucky! I love Robert Frost. It would've been amazing if we could do him for AOS. We're doing The Motorcycle Diaries, which according to my teachers, was used to obtain many Band 6s in previous years. It's okay - very stream-of-consciousness-ey and reminds me of On The Road by Jack Keruoac, which I started reading in Year 9 before giving up halfway through.
    English Advanced | English Extension 1 | English Extension 2 | Music 2 | Music Extension | Modern History | Ancient History

HSC

For Legal, I'm doing Family and Shelter ahhhhhhhhh
    I wanted to do World Order and then i realised it was all international law and was like ' nah domestic law is hard enough imao '
    and for Eng I did ' Go Back To Where You Came From ' oh raquel you crack me up
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

HSC

For English, we did Robert Gray's collection of poems for AOS.

The poems were:
    - Journey, the North Coast
    - Meatworks
    - North Coast Town.

I did and essay and I used "The Boat" by Nam Le for my related text. http://www.sbs.com.au/theboat/

HSC

Legal: Shelter & Family

English AoS: Tempest + Flowers for Algernon (my related might change)
    Frostguard likes this.
    Prelim 2017
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Physics ~ Music 2 ~ Legal Studies ~ Financial Services (AA)
    HSC 2017
    Mathematics (98)
    HSC 2018
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Mathematics Extension 2 ~ Music 2 ~ Financial Services (AA)

HSC

Daaamn quite a few people doing shelter or family. Family sounds interesting but I'm so hyped for world order + I already have an issue I wanna write about for consumers

Honestly so glad I'm doing a Shakespeare text for AOS. I've actually kind of got the hang of reading Shakespearean lol thanks schooling system

HSC

What time does everyone go to bed? How many hours of sleep do you all get?

HSC

During HSC it was like 3-6 hours a day but long on weekends but now like 7-9 hours now that it's holidays haha
    kendallkreene likes this.

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

Cadet
    HSC

On school days I usually get about 7-8 hours (sleep from 11pm to 7am, or 10;30pm to 6;30am for eng ext 1), and 8-9 hours of sleep on weekends / school holidays.
    4U English | Modern History | Geography | Visual Arts | French Continuers

HSC

During the school term, usually 10:30-6 or 7 (so between 7 and 8 hours of sleep).
    Weekends usually 8-10 hours

HSC

It's funny how I was so willing and ready to sacrifice sleep for success, but now I know that it is actually an imperative component to perform well.

If only we could take one second to press a button embedded into our bodies that automatically gives us the energy that we would've otherwise received from 8 hours of good sleep. It would make life so much easier!
    supR likes this.

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread Information