Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree378Likes

Thread: 2018ers Chit-Chat Thread

Cadet
    HSC

Re: 2018ers Chit-Chat Thread

A question for any of you guys who do modern,

Should i write my national study notes chronologically? i'm doing Germany btw

e.g. Munich Putsch is a whole seperate point on the syllabus, but chronologically it should be under the first heading

I'm just worried that it'll be confusing if i write it out of chronological order

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Lilabear View Post

e.g. Munich Putsch is a whole seperate point on the syllabus, but chronologically it should be under the first heading

I'm just worried that it'll be confusing if i write it out of chronological order
    I'm doing Section 4- International Conflict but honestly I'd just write my notes according to the dot points, I personally would get more confused making it chronologically ordered and jumping dot points everywhere than make it dot point based and dates all over the place, its the content that counts and its not world-ending if we get a date wrong, i mean as long as you have a timeline or understand the chain of events tbh
    Lilabear likes this.
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

HSC

Oi, do you guys think its a good idea to drop from advanced maths to general maths part way through the HSC? I got like 50-60s in the half-yealys and am struggeling to keep up, i've also got 13 units.

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by JoshCam159 View Post
    Oi, do you guys think its a good idea to drop from advanced maths to general maths part way through the HSC? I got like 50-60s in the half-yealys and am struggeling to keep up, i've also got 13 units.
    Are you planning to go to Uni? If so, which one, and what do you want to study?
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC

Hey! I'm doing Germany too

Yeah follow the syllabus, but most questions ask for something between a particular time period so make sure you know when everything is in order to answer
    Lilabear likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by brbstudying View Post
    Random (and perhaps slightly disgusting) thought, but I honestly have no time to shower anymore. Like, of course I will shower, but it's like I'd be better off without it in terms of self-imposed time constraints.
    Hahahahahah I’m glad I’m not the only one who actually thinks this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    brbstudying likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Has anyone ever used the method of writing out notes then retyping them? Is it effective, especially if you sort of just wrote notes then left them there without revising, and only just started coming back to them?

Hope you're all managing stress/study/notes/life in general well. I'm stressed, but knowing that the some subjects only weigh 15% (which means 7.5%), alleviates it just a little, and thinking about the end goal (HSC externals) instead of restricting my thoughts to solely the midterms helps a lot too.

Cadet
    HSC

Has anyone ever used the method of writing out notes then retyping them? Is it effective, especially if you sort of just wrote notes then left them there without revising, and only just started coming back to them?

Hope you're all managing stress/study/notes/life in general well. I'm stressed, but knowing that the some subjects only weigh 15% (which means 7.5%), alleviates it just a little, and thinking about the end goal (HSC externals) instead of restricting my thoughts to solely the midterms helps a lot too.
    I'm not sure whether this is the same thing, but I handwrite notes in class but then type up proper ones at home just because it's easier and cleaner to read, plus it's much faster than handwriting. I guess handwriting your notes is good because it gives you practice for exams, but it really depends on whether you like to write or type.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

Cadet
    HSC

Hey guys,

I'm so confused with my essay topic sentence for each body. One of my teacher said its okay to open with context, but my extension teacher said we have the first answer the question. (Module A btw)

Is this okay for my body paragraph opening, for the question: “An examination of a pair of texts reveals similarities in their concerns and their contexts.”

Post-WWII America was a period of social and economic success, with the ‘baby-boomers’ and popularisation of the ‘American Dream’ a response to this new-found prosperity.The Hours explores the role of women during the era of nuclear families, and like Mrs Dalloway, the consequences when one cannot fulfil societies strict expectations.

Thanks!!! freaking out cause my exam is on monday

Cadet
    HSC

Hmmm...It'll be much more effective than just reading, but maybe you could do that look, cover, write check technique so you can test what knowledge you've retained and what you need to work on? Tbh i've never actually done this cause i'm worried that i haven't actually remembered anything ahah, but apparently it's very effective!

Cadet
    HSC

Hey guys,

I'm so confused with my essay topic sentence for each body. One of my teacher said its okay to open with context, but my extension teacher said we have the first answer the question. (Module A btw)

Is this okay for my body paragraph opening, for the question: “An examination of a pair of texts reveals similarities in their concerns and their contexts.”

Post-WWII America was a period of social and economic success, with the ‘baby-boomers’ and popularisation of the ‘American Dream’ a response to this new-found prosperity.The Hours explores the role of women during the era of nuclear families, and like Mrs Dalloway, the consequences when one cannot fulfil societies strict expectations.

Thanks!!! freaking out cause my exam is on monday
    Start with a conceptual statement before launching straight into context (idk maybe something about what specific aspect of both texts and their context is similar), but the context sentence is quite well written! Next step is just having enough textual evidence to support that claim
    Lilabear likes this.
    4U English | Modern History | Geography | Visual Arts | French Continuers

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by notthedevil View Post
    Start with a conceptual statement before launching straight into context (idk maybe something about what specific aspect of both texts and their context is similar), but the context sentence is quite well written! Next step is just having enough textual evidence to support that claim
    Yep, thanks! A few of my friends have also recommend this, but i'm dreading having to change my essay again

HSC
    Somewhere northwest of the south, adjacent to the mid north-eastern

I too am doing Germany; what I find easy for me is to sort all of my notes under the syllabus order, however, you do what you feel is comfortable.
    HSC 2018 lad eks dee
    Standard English, General Maths, IPT, Business Studies, Modern History, SOR 1

Professional Kekologist
    , PhD in Procrastination (cuz that's original)

"If everything could ever feel this real forever, If anything could ever be this good again, The only thing I'll ever ask of you, You've got to promise not to stop when I say when" - Foo Fighters- Everlong

Cadet
    HSC

Thoughts on memorising two essays for discovery? Since i've already put so much work into writing both, i want to take advantage. but i'm worried that i'll somehow get them mixed up during the exam and it'll backfire on me. Concept is somewhat similar in that the quotes used can fit both essays (however i didn't write them that way).

Cadet
    HSC

How's everyone's prep for half yearlies going? Or have they started/finished already idk? I'm shitting myself looooooool
    HSC 2018

English AdvancedMaths Extension 1Legal StudiesChemistryBiology

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by A Leaf View Post
    How's everyone's prep for half yearlies going? Or have they started/finished already idk? I'm shitting myself looooooool
    Ahhhh its going alright. I didn't realise my first half yearly, modern history, was next tuesday (thought it was wednesday) so I'm a bit shook at the moment, but I'm just keeping up to date with all the info and essay writing technique so it should be fine. English Module A essay is going nowhere (richard III and LFR) just cause I'm v confused about what to write. But everything else seems to be falling into place.

Cadet
    HSC

Hey guys, I've just been thinking a lot about this whole HSC thing. I'm beginning to lose motivation and I'm becoming pretty disillusioned with this whole thing. Like I'm starting to lose all of the external motivations/reasons why I should be studying hard. I don't think I'm worthy of getting my ATAR goal anymore after a lot of substandard assessment marks (the goal is so that I could get Chancellors scholars at unimelb) and I just feel that even if I do my best, it really wont be enough to get that near perfect ATAR. It's getting to the point where I don't wanna study anymore just cause I don't have enough confidence that I could get anywhere near my goal, so 'whats the point' is what I'm thinking right now.

Should I be lowering my ATAR goal to something more manageable at the expense of giving up something I really want, or should I keep persisting even if it feels kinda pointless and I really feel that I can't achieve my goal?
    studygirl118 likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by notthedevil View Post
    Hey guys, I've just been thinking a lot about this whole HSC thing. I'm beginning to lose motivation and I'm becoming pretty disillusioned with this whole thing. Like I'm starting to lose all of the external motivations/reasons why I should be studying hard. I don't think I'm worthy of getting my ATAR goal anymore after a lot of substandard assessment marks (the goal is so that I could get Chancellors scholars at unimelb) and I just feel that even if I do my best, it really wont be enough to get that near perfect ATAR. It's getting to the point where I don't wanna study anymore just cause I don't have enough confidence that I could get anywhere near my goal, so 'whats the point' is what I'm thinking right now.

Should I be lowering my ATAR goal to something more manageable at the expense of giving up something I really want, or should I keep persisting even if it feels kinda pointless and I really feel that I can't achieve my goal?
    Ever heard of the quote "if you shoot for the moon, you'll still land in the stars?" Probs not the exact wording and a bit cliche, but i think it describes this whole ATAR goal senario pretty well. Keep working hard, and you'll still get a good mark, even if it falls short of your goal mark. 99.9 is pretty damn high, several marks short of that is still excellent!
    Last edited by Lilabear; 14 Mar 2018 at 9:04 PM.
    notthedevil likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

For modern, how important is remember exact dates for our national essay? Like if we were mentioning event, do we need to know the month as well as the year? Or what if i don't even mention the year, how bad is that? Worried cause i have a terrible memory

Cadet
    HSC

For modern, how important is remember exact dates for our national essay? Like if we were mentioning event, do we need to know the month as well as the year? Or what if i don't even mention the year, how bad is that? Worried cause i have a terrible memory
    Month and year is great, but you will still do well if you only add the year because it still shows you are putting events into context. If you want to be more specific, you can add the day as well, but it's not always necessary and sometimes it can just be a pain to remember (it adds more sophistication though i guess).
    Lilabear likes this.

HSC
    N/A

Hey guys,

I know this sounds ridiculous, but how do you block off the distraction of having a crush on someone? Like sometimes I can't concentrate when I'm studying or reading through notes. It's really a mental thing that I need help controlling. :/

LMAO like all the years I've been single and forever alone were the years that my grades didn't really count, but now someone swoops in JUST WHEN I'm supposed to be focusing on my grades fml.
    Last edited by Cronus; 18 Mar 2018 at 9:32 AM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Hey guys,

I know this sounds ridiculous, but how do you block off the distraction of having a crush on someone? Like sometimes I can't concentrate when I'm studying or reading through notes. It's really a mental thing that I need help controlling. :/

LMAO like all the years I've been single and forever alone were the years that my grades didn't really count, but now someone swoops in JUST WHEN I'm supposed to be focusing on my grades fml.
    Personally, I just get really pessimistic about the crush in order to kill my feelings off like a weed. Not really recommended though bc this has made me a cynical piece of shit
    I think you should put aside a certain amount of time each day dedicated entirely to thinking about your crush, and spend the rest of the day concentrating on whatever it is you're doing. Never tried this tho so idk if it'll work
    Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

Cadet
    HSC

Do we need definitions in legal studies essays? E.g. id i were writing an essay on domestic violence, do i need to define DV and AVO's?

HSC

Do we need definitions in legal studies essays? E.g. id i were writing an essay on domestic violence, do i need to define DV and AVO's?
    I don't think so, unless there's a dispute as to what the definition is within a case
    Lilabear likes this.
    Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

Cadet
    HSC

Depends on what you're defining. Stuff like 'domestic violence' probably doesn't need a definition, but proper legal terminology (eg. state sovereignty) should have definitions
    Lilabear likes this.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread Information