Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Like Tree461Likes

Thread: 2018ers Chit-Chat Thread

HSC

Re: 2018ers Chit-Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lilabear View Post
    Do you think that's too risky though? Like what if i did an arts degree but then i'm unable to obtain the marks to transfer into commerce? Do you think i would be better off doing commerce at uts and then transferring to usyd?
    Yeah, I think that's a pretty good idea. Just note that a lot of the time, people who attempt something like that will usually stay in the degree they started with (for one reason or another), but that's not a bad thing at all.
    Lilabear likes this.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) III, USYD

Cadet
    HSC

For anyone who does history ex, i'm supposed to hand in my first draft during the holidays but i'm super confused rn.

Are history book authors historians? Also, i've only taken brief notes off of my teachers power points for the 'What is History' section, and i feel like i don't have a deep understanding of it. Do you reckon i should have a solid understanding of that section before i plan my essay (yeah, i'm really behind )

Thanks guys

Cadet
    HSC

For anyone who does history ex, i'm supposed to hand in my first draft during the holidays but i'm super confused rn.

Are history book authors historians? Also, i've only taken brief notes off of my teachers power points for the 'What is History' section, and i feel like i don't have a deep understanding of it. Do you reckon i should have a solid understanding of that section before i plan my essay (yeah, i'm really behind )

Speaking of the what is history section, how do you guys make your notes and how extensive should they be? And when you do the readings, do you write notes based off of those too?

Thanks guys

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Lilabear View Post

Speaking of the what is history section, how do you guys make your notes and how extensive should they be? And when you do the readings, do you write notes based off of those too?

Thanks guys
    Yikes Lila um ok do you mean like Ken Webb and people who write history textbooks? I mean I think they are but I personally wouldn't use them for your historiographical essay. Eg im doing marie antoinette's role in french revolution and my focus question is on changing historical interpretations of her role in the FR, so i used historians, like actual historians, doesn't matter what form they've constructed their history whether it be books, speeches, plays, movies, they're still historians and you would rightly use their work to answer your focus question. But yeah I do think you should at least grasp the 'basics' of hist ext, eg studying with my classmates, I've come to realise that as you long as you know the basic timeline of empiricism____relativism_______post-modernism (the line represents the differences in methodology and how they construct history, im sure you know at least the differences between the three) and then you should also learn the other types of methodologies (eg political/diplomatic/women's, theres like dozens of them lol)

As for my what is history notes, I basically just wrote them based off the four questions and plus an extra page for evaluation. I would sort them into booklets depending on which term (eg term 1 i did herodotus and my boy terry deary and his horrible histories) and then made it clear who they were, what was their purpose, construction of history and changing approaches to history. They're not exactly long but at the beginning of hist ext, i had a page each for each historian for the 4qs + evaluation and over time just did 2 pages (2qs on one page). As for my readings, I only write notes if they're issues, for historians, all the work and content is there but for issues (i did film history and anzac legend), i generally just wrote what was necessary (not exactly 4qs format)

I hope your project is going well lmao good luck!!! (my progress log is getting checked first week back time to bs- i mean truthfully log my entries haha
    Lilabear likes this.
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

HSC

Anyone know when the BoS trials are btw

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by 1039213 View Post
    Few weeks before hsc or something iirc can't remember
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by 1039213 View Post
    Like near the beginning of term 3? From what I remember
    2017 HSC
    sci stud (neuro) at University of Sydney

HSC

Thinking of buying a math-aid. Are they worth it?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by HoldingOn View Post
    Thinking of buying a math-aid. Are they worth it?
    Some people found it useful but I didn't use it.. I guess if you wanna draw circles easier idk

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

HSC

2 May = Death Day (2017 HSC written examination timetable released)
    Frostguard and spaghettii like this.

HSC

istg if legal and society end up on the same day again I will cry

a lot
    Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Eshaygram View Post
    2 May = Death Day (2017 HSC written examination timetable released)
    The timetable release was so good last year only had 2 exams each week it was amazing af

HSC

They put Phy, Chem and Maths Ext 1 in the same week though.
    HSC 2018

English Adv | MX1 | MX2 | Phys | Chem | Eco

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Karldahemster View Post
    They put Phy, Chem and Maths Ext 1 in the same week though.
    Yeaaaa perks of not doing chem last yr haha

HSC

Our HSC exam timetables are out tomorrow!!! Exciting. I hope I have a timetable that I'm happy with.
    supR and notthedevil like this.
    Preliminary 2017 || English Advanced - Economics - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1

HSC 2018 || English Standard - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1

ATAR: 77.30

HSC

YALL I NEED YOU TO FILL OUT MY QUESTIONNAIRE FOR SOCIETY AND CULTURE about colorism. HELP OUT YOUR SISTER PLS SO SHE WNT GET A MYSTERY ATAR.. I LOVE YOU. GOD BLESS.

https://goo.gl/forms/JjbrSgdesQf0n0Xs2

THANKS MY CHILDREN!!!

HSC

No worries
    Preliminary 2017 || English Advanced - Economics - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1

HSC 2018 || English Standard - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1

HSC

We now have our timetables for our upcoming 2018 HSC Exams!!!

I saw my HSC Timetable and I'm feeling mixed emotions about my personal timetable. I am pleased with the outcome because I have a big break between my General Maths exam on October 25th and my Studies of Religion exam on November 6th (which happens to be my last HSC Exam).

On the other hand, I am not satisfied with the outcome because from my Paper 1 English Exam on October 18th to my General Maths exam on October 25th, I have one exam every day! I have English Paper 2 on the 19th, Visual Arts on the 22nd, Ancient History on the 23rd, Biology on the 24th and General Maths on the 25th. I guess you could say that this situation might be a good thing becuase that particular week could go very fast and that way, you have most of your HSC out of the way.

Overall, on a scale of 1 (dissapointed) to 10 (happy), I would rate my HSC Timetable a 6. On a brighter note, this is getting me excited and hyped up for the HSC.
    Last edited by PikyoK; 2 May 2018 at 4:06 PM.

HSC

It's term 2 and we won't get our jerseys till four weeks later, I feel very ripped off right now hahah

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by millennialpink View Post
    It's term 2 and we won't get our jerseys till four weeks later, I feel very ripped off right now hahah
    Four weeks?! I'll be quite annoyed, considering you'll only have 3 months to wear it.

Don't know how people in your cohort would take that TBH haha, my grade went crazy last term because they weren't giving us our jackets before the term ended (This was in Term 1) and boyyyy did my grade make a fuss (It looked like they were about to start a revolution) - threatening emails were sent to teachers, parents got involved, etc, so they were basically forced into giving it to us earlier lmao.

HSC

I feel like I'm going to fail
    How do you even study? Do you just write notes based off syllabus?

HSC

So I know I've made a similar comment before, but does anyone feel a little afraid of leaving school? I, for one, feel like I'm not ready. It will feel so weird not seeing the faces I've been seeing for six years. It's a relatively small private school, so there's a high degree of familiarity and comfort that makes me feel a bit shaky about leaving. It's pretty much all I knew haha, so going to uni sounds a tad scary now that I think about it.

Also, I'll just really miss my friends and teachers.

The only things I won't miss include waking up early and compulsory math in Year 7-10...
    supR likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Bina8 View Post
    I feel like I'm going to fail
    How do you even study? Do you just write notes based off syllabus?
    It depends on your subjects. I do all humanities so that's what I do. But I think it might be a bit different for math/science subjects.
    Bina8 likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by brbstudying View Post
    It depends on your subjects. I do all humanities so that's what I do. But I think it might be a bit different for math/science subjects.
    For sciences, the best thing to do is usually to make notes according to the dot points.

Maths subjects aren't as heavy on content and memorisation so making notes on the dot points isn't as effective (but it is still useful to refer to them so you know what may be required of you). Doing problems is probably the best way to improve. As far as making notes goes, copying down the concepts you do in class is usually enough.
    HSC 2018: English Adv. [80] • Maths Ext. 1 [98] • Maths Ext. 2 [95] • Chemistry [87] • Software Design [95]

ATAR: 97.40 for B Advanced Mathematics (Hons) / B Engineering (Hons) (Computer) at UNSW

HSC

How have timetables been for everyone?

From the subjects listed in my signature, I'm reasonably happy as the closest 2 exams get is 1 day apart, 30th for MX1 and 1st for Physics

I feel bad for my friend though, as she has Week 2: Tue - Ancient | Wed - Bio | Thurs - Genny maths | Fri - Ext History!! Yikes
    JMP lova likes this.
    HSC 2018

ATAR - 98.50

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread Information