Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
Like Tree335Likes

Thread: 2018ers Chit-Chat Thread

HSC

Re: 2018ers Chit-Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lilabear View Post
    Do you think that's too risky though? Like what if i did an arts degree but then i'm unable to obtain the marks to transfer into commerce? Do you think i would be better off doing commerce at uts and then transferring to usyd?
    Yeah, I think that's a pretty good idea. Just note that a lot of the time, people who attempt something like that will usually stay in the degree they started with (for one reason or another), but that's not a bad thing at all.
    Lilabear likes this.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

Cadet
    HSC

For anyone who does history ex, i'm supposed to hand in my first draft during the holidays but i'm super confused rn.

Are history book authors historians? Also, i've only taken brief notes off of my teachers power points for the 'What is History' section, and i feel like i don't have a deep understanding of it. Do you reckon i should have a solid understanding of that section before i plan my essay (yeah, i'm really behind )

Thanks guys

Cadet
    HSC

For anyone who does history ex, i'm supposed to hand in my first draft during the holidays but i'm super confused rn.

Are history book authors historians? Also, i've only taken brief notes off of my teachers power points for the 'What is History' section, and i feel like i don't have a deep understanding of it. Do you reckon i should have a solid understanding of that section before i plan my essay (yeah, i'm really behind )

Speaking of the what is history section, how do you guys make your notes and how extensive should they be? And when you do the readings, do you write notes based off of those too?

Thanks guys

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Lilabear View Post

Speaking of the what is history section, how do you guys make your notes and how extensive should they be? And when you do the readings, do you write notes based off of those too?

Thanks guys
    Yikes Lila um ok do you mean like Ken Webb and people who write history textbooks? I mean I think they are but I personally wouldn't use them for your historiographical essay. Eg im doing marie antoinette's role in french revolution and my focus question is on changing historical interpretations of her role in the FR, so i used historians, like actual historians, doesn't matter what form they've constructed their history whether it be books, speeches, plays, movies, they're still historians and you would rightly use their work to answer your focus question. But yeah I do think you should at least grasp the 'basics' of hist ext, eg studying with my classmates, I've come to realise that as you long as you know the basic timeline of empiricism____relativism_______post-modernism (the line represents the differences in methodology and how they construct history, im sure you know at least the differences between the three) and then you should also learn the other types of methodologies (eg political/diplomatic/women's, theres like dozens of them lol)

As for my what is history notes, I basically just wrote them based off the four questions and plus an extra page for evaluation. I would sort them into booklets depending on which term (eg term 1 i did herodotus and my boy terry deary and his horrible histories) and then made it clear who they were, what was their purpose, construction of history and changing approaches to history. They're not exactly long but at the beginning of hist ext, i had a page each for each historian for the 4qs + evaluation and over time just did 2 pages (2qs on one page). As for my readings, I only write notes if they're issues, for historians, all the work and content is there but for issues (i did film history and anzac legend), i generally just wrote what was necessary (not exactly 4qs format)

I hope your project is going well lmao good luck!!! (my progress log is getting checked first week back time to bs- i mean truthfully log my entries haha
    Lilabear likes this.
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread Information