Like Tree401Likes

Thread: 2018ers Chit-Chat Thread

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: 2018ers Chit-Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by spaghettii View Post
    same omg

anyone got any tips on how to memorise approx 55 quotes/techniques for paper 2?
    Sing the quotes to a tune?
    Flash Cards?
    Write the over and over again?
    Teach them to a pet?
    spaghettii likes this.
    ‘Accountants certified Enron’s fraud;
    Strategy discourse made it credible' - Whittington et al, 2003

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC

same omg

anyone got any tips on how to memorise approx 55 quotes/techniques for paper 2?
    Believe it or not memorising a whole essay is far easier

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by HoldingOn View Post
    Believe it or not memorising a whole essay is far easier
    Haha I was originally going to but got scared off from people saying it's better to memorise quotes
    But yeah, after memorising about 30 out of 55 quotes, I think I'm just gonna go back to remembering essays/paragraphs
    Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

Cadet
    HSC

Haha I was originally going to but got scared off from people saying it's better to memorise quotes
    But yeah, after memorising about 30 out of 55 quotes, I think I'm just gonna go back to remembering essays/paragraphs
    I have 3 essays o memorise for paper 2 tomorrow. Do you recommend just quotes + analysis or whole essays?

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by entartung View Post
    I have 3 essays o memorise for paper 2 tomorrow. Do you recommend just quotes + analysis or whole essays?
    How much have you prepared? If you haven't done any preparation, then just memorise quotes and analysis, because tbh you'll most likely blank out during the exam if you try to cram all three full essays in one night.
    entartung likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by brbstudying View Post
    How much have you prepared? If you haven't done any preparation, then just memorise quotes and analysis, because tbh you'll most likely blank out during the exam if you try to cram all three full essays in one night.
    I've written mod a and mod c (however none of it is memorised at all)

No mod b essay at all

Also for bod b, i actually really don't get the module. Mod a is comparing context, mod c is representations, but what's mod b??? What are we focusing on?

Also, my friend said that the "how audiences how receive them over time" is part of old syllabus, is she right?

Thanks!!!

HSC

No mod b essay at all

Also for bod b, i actually really don't get the module. Mod a is comparing context, mod c is representations, but what's mod b??? What are we focusing on?

Also, my friend said that the "how audiences how receive them over time" is part of old syllabus, is she right?

Thanks!!!
    mod b is a critical study, which means that you just kinda analyse your text, but keep in mind that there may be different types of analysis depending on your personal reading

never heard of the "how audiences receive them over time" thing but i guess that's related to the transcendence of the text, which sometimes appear in hsc questions???
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

Cadet
    HSC

How long did everyone's essays in Paper 2 end up being?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by studygirl118 View Post
    How long did everyone's essays in Paper 2 end up being?
    five pages each i think? idk whether that's a lot or not but i had intro, 3 body paras with 4 quotes each then conclusion
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

Cadet
    HSC

I have pretty small i wrote about 4 pages for each essay. A lot of people didn't finish in both standard and advanced, luckily i was able to finish

Cadet
    HSC

No mod b essay at all

Thanks!!!
    Module B is critical perspectives. I wouldn't recommend memorising an essay for Module B, because they can honestly ask you on anything, like a specific character or scene in the play, so it's safer to know the play back-to-front, whereas in Module A and C (and AOS), the questions are usually broader.

Okay so I honestly haven't looked at the syllabus since forever (I should probably do that before Monday haha), but I think she may be right because so far my teacher's told us nothing on audience reception.

Did you have the exam today? How did you go??
    entartung likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Module B is critical perspectives. I wouldn't recommend memorising an essay for Module B, because they can honestly ask you on anything, like a specific character or scene in the play, so it's safer to know the play back-to-front, whereas in Module A and C (and AOS), the questions are usually broader.

Okay so I honestly haven't looked at the syllabus since forever (I should probably do that before Monday haha), but I think she may be right because so far my teacher's told us nothing on audience reception.

Did you have the exam today? How did you go??
    Ehhh it was okay. mod A and C were fine, but i only wrote 5 pages for mod B :/

I ended up just memorising quotes and techniques so i'm not sure how good my on the spot analysis was

Have to memorise my EX1 creative and essay now, also in one night. sigh.

Also, do you reckon i should solidly memorise 1 piece, and then memorise the next? Or alternate, so 1 para from essay, then 1 para from creative etc.

Just worried i'll somehow forget the first piece after i finish memorising the 2nd, but if i memorise then interchangeably, i might get confused? welp

HSC

Also, do you reckon i should solidly memorise 1 piece, and then memorise the next? Or alternate, so 1 para from essay, then 1 para from creative etc.

Just worried i'll somehow forget the first piece after i finish memorising the 2nd, but if i memorise then interchangeably, i might get confused? welp
    Highly recommend remembering each as a whole, it will become way too confusing doing it paragraph by paragraph. If you're worried about forgetting the first piece then just go back to it and keep alternating between the two.
    entartung likes this.
    Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

Cadet
    HSC

Highly recommend remembering each as a whole, it will become way too confusing doing it paragraph by paragraph. If you're worried about forgetting the first piece then just go back to it and keep alternating between the two.
    Thanks! Also, i have 8 hours to memorise a 1.5k essay and 1.2k creative. Possible to do it word for word? Or should i just be realistic and do essay by quotes/techniques + analysis and creative just vaguely?

HSC

Thanks! Also, i have 8 hours to memorise a 1.5k essay and 1.2k creative. Possible to do it word for word? Or should i just be realistic and do essay by quotes/techniques + analysis and creative just vaguely?
    If you're not given the questions beforehand, I definitely would recommend remembering quotes and analysis and the characters from your creative (to adapt them to the stimulus setting). And then any excess time (that you might spend unnecessarily memorising words), have a go at a practise essay. Also, not sure if this is just me, but 1.2k for a creative seems a bit excessive? Also the 1.5k words for essays might be a bit much. Remember to be as concise as possible. If it's all just heaps of analysis, then that's ok, but you should be able to get top band with 1000 words (and maybe even a bit less for creative).
    entartung likes this.
    Prelim 2017
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Physics ~ Music 2 ~ Legal Studies ~ Financial Services (AA)
    HSC 2017
    Mathematics
    HSC 2018
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Mathematics Extension 2 ~ Music 2 ~ Financial Services (AA)
    Course 2020
    Advanced Science (Maths)/Applied Finance @ MQ

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    If you're not given the questions beforehand, I definitely would recommend remembering quotes and analysis and the characters from your creative (to adapt them to the stimulus setting). And then any excess time (that you might spend unnecessarily memorising words), have a go at a practise essay. Also, not sure if this is just me, but 1.2k for a creative seems a bit excessive? Also the 1.5k words for essays might be a bit much. Remember to be as concise as possible. If it's all just heaps of analysis, then that's ok, but you should be able to get top band with 1000 words (and maybe even a bit less for creative).
    This is for extension english, 1.5k and 1.2k would definitely be too much for adv. Thanks for the tip!

HSC

This is for extension english, 1.5k and 1.2k would definitely be too much for adv. Thanks for the tip!
    Oh haha sorry, my bad
    entartung likes this.
    Prelim 2017
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Physics ~ Music 2 ~ Legal Studies ~ Financial Services (AA)
    HSC 2017
    Mathematics
    HSC 2018
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Mathematics Extension 2 ~ Music 2 ~ Financial Services (AA)
    Course 2020
    Advanced Science (Maths)/Applied Finance @ MQ

Cadet
    HSC

Ehhh it was okay. mod A and C were fine, but i only wrote 5 pages for mod B :/

I ended up just memorising quotes and techniques so i'm not sure how good my on the spot analysis was

Have to memorise my EX1 creative and essay now, also in one night. sigh.

Five pages is good! (at least that's what my teacher told me) Also pages aren't really a good indication of actual length because of different sized handwriting. (you may have written small, and only got 5 pages, but have had the same amount of words as someone who wrote big and got 10 pages, etc)

Yeah I'm probably just gonna end up memorising quotes and techniques for Module B and C.

Don't worry, for midterms, I left memorising my Extension 1 creative and essay like a day before the exam. However, I didn't even get much done because procrastination crept up on me at home, so I remember trying to memorise the essay in the school library an hour before the exam xD (by this stage, it was too late to memorise both essay + creative). I kept getting distracted by friends though lol, so I only had the introduction down-pat and vague bits of my body paragraphs. In the exam, I improvised a creative and wrote the essay introduction perfectly, but had to go off a ~vague~ general idea of my arguments for the rest of the essay. I ended up getting 23/25 for both the creative and essay, which surprised me a lot.

I'm alternating because if I get stuck on one piece of writing for too long, I get bored and start procrastinating. So idk, maybe try alternating? I find it's also better for compartmentalising your perceptions of each essay so you don't get confused. Everyone's different, though, so if you find that memorising each whole piece first, then do that.
    entartung likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Honestly don't even worry. The fact that you're doing Extension shows ability in being articulate and expressing yourself and stuff, so I'm sure your analysis was great!
    entartung likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Honestly don't even worry. The fact that you're doing Extension shows ability in being articulate and expressing yourself and stuff, so I'm sure your analysis was great!
    Thanks for the encouragement! I def needed it haha.

I haven't seen too much advice regarding memorising for ex (as opposed to adv), but a lot of people seem to be against it since the question can be a curveball, however i've heard of people who memorise too. i definitely struggle to write 'sophisticatedly' on the spot and i prefer to redraft a bunch of times.

I def got lucky this time around (question was on "how texts re-evaluates ATB values, ideas) as it was pretty broad, but not sure how i'll approach actual HSC. Do you usually fully memorise for ex?

Cadet
    HSC

I haven't seen too much advice regarding memorising for ex (as opposed to adv), but a lot of people seem to be against it since the question can be a curveball, however i've heard of people who memorise too. i definitely struggle to write 'sophisticatedly' on the spot and i prefer to redraft a bunch of times.

I def got lucky this time around (question was on "how texts re-evaluates ATB values, ideas) as it was pretty broad, but not sure how i'll approach actual HSC. Do you usually fully memorise for ex?
    No worries.

It's true that the question can be a curveball (but let's hope it's not this year haha), but if you struggle to write sophisticatedly on the spot, then I recommend memorising for the actual HSC.
    entartung likes this.

HSC

Tbh from what I know most people memorise for both advanced and extension. However maybe some backup quotes could be useful because I heard last year's extension questions were curveballs e.g. very specific themes for essays.
    entartung likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

Cadet
    HSC

Random: but why do people that finished their hsc in like 2016, 2015, 2017 or whatever hang around BOS? Is this like a hobby for you guys, to help newbs out? Don't get me wrong THANK YOU for doing gods work and giving the best advice, but why do you do it? Benefits?
    studygirl118 likes this.

HSC

Guys do you know talent100? When I brokedown my atar, do the hsc marks mean only for the actual hsc exams in October or external and internal marks altogether? If it counts internal i'm done for..

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sodiumziha View Post
    Random: but why do people that finished their hsc in like 2016, 2015, 2017 or whatever hang around BOS? Is this like a hobby for you guys, to help newbs out? Don't get me wrong THANK YOU for doing gods work and giving the best advice, but why do you do it? Benefits?
    it’s also because bos isn’t just for high schoolers, it’s for uni students too haha. Plenty of uni students help each other out just like year 11/12’s do on this thread
    2017 HSC
    2018 Science (Neuro) at University of Sydney

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread Information