Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 2 Post By strawberrye
  • 1 Post By EnglishTutor7

Thread: Advanced english question!

HSC

Question Advanced english question!

Hi guys,

I just want to know from previous graduates on what markers specifically look for in essays to get top marks in advanced english.

Like when im writing essays Is it better to have simple & concise sentences and a sophisticated argument which is direct in answering the questions or is it much better to have complex, flowery & fancy language which also answer the question but are not succint? different people Ive talked to have been saying different things.

HSC

Re: Advanced english question!

Why not do both use elements from the second to show your vocabulary and the first to show you are answering thee question
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    High Quality Advice Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post7271068
    2015 - 2U (Accelerated) (96)
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux

2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

HSC

Although I do use fancy language and complex sentences. Im not sure at what level of complexity in language the sentences need to be to achieve good marks?

Is it possible jazz519, if you can just provide a two-three sentences example so i know the level of complexity in language you went to achieve those amazing marks.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by cherryboi View Post
    Although I do use fancy language and complex sentences. Im not sure at what level of complexity in language the sentences need to be to achieve good marks?

Is it possible jazz519, if you can just provide a two-three sentences example so i know the level of complexity in language you went to achieve those amazing marks.
    Click on the notes link in my signature I provide some samples there (scroll down to English)
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    High Quality Advice Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post7271068
    2015 - 2U (Accelerated) (96)
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux

2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

HSC

It's fine to use both you can get full marks with both. However if you force in big words the markers WILL notice it and you'll do worse than if you did by using simple words.
    captainhelium likes this.
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv (91) // Bio (96) // Phys (95) // 3U Maths (99) // 4U Maths (97) //
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC
    Uni Grad

I think unless you are already very good at English, you should not try to use fancy and complex words particularly if you don't even know what these words mean and you are trying to pluck them out of a synonym. I think that is not authentic writing, but rather pretentious writing, and from my experience having tutored well over 25 HSC English students in the past 4 years one on one context, I have never seen not succinct essays filled with fancy complex words get good marks. You need to remember markers want to finish marking quickly, the more complex your sentences, the longer they are gonna read your essay and the more likely they will be finding something wrong with it. Make their life simpler by making your arguments clearer and faster, and they can finish marking faster and give you better marks because your sentences flow well and they can understand what you are saying (this is assuming your writing is legible of course).
    489 and fires like this.

HSC
    N/A

Markers are looking to see that you have achieved the following:

1.A firm grasp of your texts. The whole point of writing an essay is to demonstrate your understanding of the concepts explored in your texts. How well you answer the question will be dependent on how well you have studied your play, poems, novel etc. There's no point in writing well if you don't have in depth knowledge of what you're writing about. Too many students read their texts only once, and some don't even examine their texts properly, and then head into an exam with prepared responses hoping their memorised essay will miraculously fit the exam question. Don't rely on this method!

2. A thorough understanding of the rubric. The prescribed texts have been selected for study based on their relevance to Discovery or one one of the three Modules and two Electives. Understanding the rubric will ensure that you are focussing on the right concepts by allowing you to narrow your focus. The essay question will always be based on the rubric, so don't study your texts in isolation.

3. A personal appreciation of your texts. Understanding the plot, themes, characters and techniques etc is one thing, but if you don't personally engage with your texts, it's going to show in your responses. Students who simply regurgitate quotes and techniques followed by general analysis will rarely score higher than a Band 4. Markers look for responses which offer insighful interpretations of the texts, and this will only be achieved when a student appreciates the text's significance to society and themselves.

4. A fluent, controlled and sophisticated writing style. You do not need to include elaborate or flowery language in order to be sophisticated. The most important aspect of any form of communciation is clarity. Ensure that your grammar, spelling and punctuation are accurate and utilise the metalanguage and English jargon your teachers have used with you in class. Unless you have a superior grasp of vocabulary and syntax, it is better to write succinctly and stick to language that is easy to understand. I've marked numerous essays where students have tried to come across as intelligent by including complex words and sentences which actually hinder their arguments as their points come out confusing and convoluted.
    489 likes this.

Thread Information