Please Help Me! (1 Viewer)

Sunnyindahouz

HSC
I'm in Year 12 now, and my parents tell me I have to get an ATAR of 99.6+ or else they will never talk to me again or support me in my studies in the future. I'm not joking at all, and this is not something new, but I am in a state of crisis now, because I'm going to have my very first HSC assessment task this week and I strongly feel like I'm not going to do so well (70s probably), and it's worth between 20 and 35% of my total HSC school mark (don't want to say exact percentage). I say this because I can't finish past papers within time constraints, and I don't even have enough concentration to be able to compose the structure of a detailed answer that could be worth about 3-4 marks. I also feel like I'm going to do really badly in my other assessments this term, so I'm absolutely screwed. The main reason is because I haven't been focused on my education that much since I'm always worrying about honestly really trivial non-school-related stuff from the past or about myself and am making mountains out of molehills in my head, which depresses me and hence leads me to procrastinate on the internet to take my mind off those things or relieve myself. The worst part is, these worries just happened to get REALLY bad in Week 2 of this term, and since then, I haven't been able to completely forget them; they're all at the back of my mind. I can't focus on anything I read anymore (except for my notes sometimes, which I made by copying stuff from different places); I can only do papers, but I can't even finish them on time because I get distracted. I also don't want to tell my parents about my mental problems, because they aren't really understanding whenever I tell them something that has been bothering me and assume that I'm just trying to kill time or turn the focus away from my studies. They can't understand what I'm going through because they apparently were normal kids who could focus on their studies when they had to. They are also beginning to realise that I may not do well, and it's going to be hell in a couple of weeks when our results come out.

What should I do? I feel even more depressed than I was before right now, and I had big hopes for the future permitting that my ATAR is what I dreamed it to be, but it's really all going to be a dream now. I actually can't see myself with a bright future without my ATAR, because I'm going to be so demotivated and I'm going to have to settle with being an average human being with an average career and average life, but I want to do so much more. I used to be a top-performing student in multiple subjects, and now I feel like my future is crumbling before my eyes.

I'm sorry if parts of this sound dramatic, but I'm just describing how I feel the situation is.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I'm in Year 12 now, and my parents tell me I have to get an ATAR of 99.6+ or else they will never talk to me again or support me in my studies in the future. I'm not joking at all, and this is not something new, but I am in a state of crisis now, because I'm going to have my very first HSC assessment task this week and I strongly feel like I'm not going to do so well (70s probably), and it's worth between 20 and 35% of my total HSC school mark (don't want to say exact percentage). I say this because I can't finish past papers within time constraints, and I don't even have enough concentration to be able to compose the structure of a detailed answer that could be worth about 3-4 marks. I also feel like I'm going to do really badly in my other assessments this term, so I'm absolutely screwed. The main reason is because I haven't been focused on my education that much since I'm always worrying about honestly really trivial non-school-related stuff from the past or about myself and am making mountains out of molehills in my head, which depresses me and hence leads me to procrastinate on the internet to take my mind off those things or relieve myself. The worst part is, these worries just happened to get REALLY bad in Week 2 of this term, and since then, I haven't been able to completely forget them; they're all at the back of my mind. I can't focus on anything I read anymore (except for my notes sometimes, which I made by copying stuff from different places); I can only do papers, but I can't even finish them on time because I get distracted. I also don't want to tell my parents about my mental problems, because they aren't really understanding whenever I tell them something that has been bothering me and assume that I'm just trying to kill time or turn the focus away from my studies. They can't understand what I'm going through because they apparently were normal kids who could focus on their studies when they had to. They are also beginning to realise that I may not do well, and it's going to be hell in a couple of weeks when our results come out.

What should I do? I feel even more depressed than I was before right now, and I had big hopes for the future permitting that my ATAR is what I dreamed it to be, but it's really all going to be a dream now. I actually can't see myself with a bright future without my ATAR, because I'm going to be so demotivated and I'm going to have to settle with being an average human being with an average career and average life, but I want to do so much more. I used to be a top-performing student in multiple subjects, and now I feel like my future is crumbling before my eyes.

I'm sorry if parts of this sound dramatic, but I'm just describing how I feel the situation is.
The bolded part seems like you might wanna move out ASAP after high school honestly because parents who would do that aren't showing full love and support and are just invested in your studies and not your feelings and life.

On another note just relax and stop worrying about what your parents think because you deserve a better life than being depressed just to meet their expectations. Just try your best to study and if you do bad then at least you tried your best, and how can you have regrets if you tried your best? You can't say "damn wish I tried harder" if you tried your best.

Also if you have anxiety/depression try apply for breaks in exams and apply for extra time.

Just try meditating or relaxing and don't worry about what your parents think because if they ONLY care about you doing well in school then you deserve better, as stressing will only make you depressed and unable to cope with school.

Also an ATAR of 99.6+ is not required at all to do almost every course. Unless you want to be a doctor or lawyer then the highest atar you need is like 97.5.

Remember that a high ATAR DOES NOT correlate to a bright future if you can't speak properly and have no work skills. Remember that most successful business are from people who have dropped out or had no academic skills. All you need is determination and perseverance and you can achieve most things in life so don't stress about it.

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC

No worries man - Please don't feel like you're the only one. I also felt really similar to you during my first weeks of Year 12 but to be honest the thing that pulled me through was definitely the mental support I had from my parents and my school. I didn't go to an academically selective high school but rather a school which focused on virtue and guided each and every student mentally and morally (hence why our cohort sizes are relatively low). I can't stress the importance of how having a peaceful mind is to enjoying and surviving Year 12. You could be the most intelligent person in the world but if you break down from anxiety in the exam hall it could really detriment your performance. If possible, I would seriously recommend visiting a counsellor/psychologist or any other trusted adult to communicate your anxieties and help them guide you (I have to admit that I also did this as well so don't feel embarrassed). If you don't have access to these people, I would recommend using a meditation app on your phone which have some nice breathing exercises to help calm you down.

Also, please put away external pressures and motivations imparted onto you. The HSC is your journey and not someone else's journey. Put your own motivation in and be proud of what you have done. If your work and efforts in the HSC are purely just to please someone else, you will really struggle to enjoy Year 12 and possibly university.

Just one more thing, although a high ATAR (e.g. your goal of 99.6+) is definitely admirable and certainly something you should strive for, don't let it push you to the brink of insanity or mental breakdown. Remember that when applying for very demanding courses such as Medicine, you not only need a good ATAR but also good communication skills. Sometimes this aspect of "communication" is worth more than your actual ATAR. This also applies to other normal jobs too - employers are looking for people that can communicate and interact positively with others. In my opinion, if you have such a defeatist attitude, it might be hard to show communication strengths as many people are looking for people with high motivation etc.

I sincerely wish you all the best for Year 12. I was similar to you during the beginning of my Year 12 experience in that I was worried about my results but please remember that your mentality is very very very important.

Best of luck =)

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad

This is YOUR HSC. You're the one doing the exams. Your future is within your own control.

I think the best way that helped me focus on my OWN path, and subsequently future, was trying to block my parents out. It was almost as if I could imagine a giant filter that blocked their negativity from reaching me - I stopped trying to reason with them, let alone listen to their pointless complaints. I took time to focus on improving my marks, and along the way I was fortunate enough to realise that maybe I didn't need a high ATAR (as in, 99.95). I redefined my goals, chose to pursue something different from what my parents were urging me to do, and as a result I made my aim more realistic and achievable, motivating me to work hard towards achieving them.

In the December-January holidays, it would be great if you could just relax for a while and really think about how you're going to work towards your goals and improvement. We can't always do well all the time in life - but it's good to try your best to succeed. It's important to be resilient, to bounce back from your drawbacks and be on the road for personal growth and self improvement. Maybe it would be a good idea to create SMART goals - Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time. If you find yourself procrastinating, check out this link about stuff that could inspire you (uhh the 4th point I mean. Scroll down to that part.) Make both short term goals and long term goals to help you minimise your worries for the future.

That being said, try your very best. It's good and respectable that you're aiming high, and you should let that become a motivation, rather than a crippling fear of possible failure. You need to find a way to cope with not being able to focus properly - maybe if you clear your desk of everything except the bare minimum (i.e. the work you are studying), or if you meditate, eat a snack, play some music etc, you'll have a better shot at concentrating on your work. Maybe you need a change of scenery - study at a library or a park bench. Find out what exactly is stopping you from achieving your best. I once read a really good article/essay about how we tend to procrastinate to counter the fear of failure - this is why it's important to take control of your own future, and decide your own goals. It is really important to be able to walk into exams with a clear and confident mindset, and to study with a 'YES I CAN DO IT' frame of mind. It's not helping that you're already saying you're 'absolutely screwed'. Please, please keep in mind that this is only the very beginning of your HSC journey, you have a long way to go and many, many things to improve on.

Keep in mind that even beyond HSC, of course you can work towards becoming your version of 'successful', and not the 'average person' mould you seem to be forcing yourself into :(

I know how daunting counsellors and psychologists can be, which is why maybe you can first try reaching out to some sort of support group. This can comprise of people you trust and are comfortable with, like your friends, teachers, neighbours etc. Personally, I felt that teachers were more supportive as they were able to give more practical suggestions regarding the situation, so don't be afraid to ask for help, or even just spend some time ranting about your worries.

Anyways, you've got this!! Good luck, and define your own success. Keep aiming high, but do well for yourself, not for anyone else.

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think what the above people have said are very good advice, here is my two cents-from the perspective of a fourth year uni student who didn't get 99.60.

1.I understand how you feel. Not because I have felt this way in high school, but because I have felt this way in uni. I have had times where I just wanted to avoid studying, avoid thinking about other things, and procrastinate. I have also seen my past students do the same thing. What you need to remember is, you are not the only student who have ever felt this way, and that whatever your parents expect of you and how they are treating you is not right and it is NOT YOUR FAULT THAT THEY HAVE UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS FOR YOU.

2. I get it, it is a very stressful time, assessment tasks are often make or break-particularly when you are aiming for such a high ATAR-for your parent's sake, that one bad performance might really mean your chances of getting your desired ATAR becomes much harder. When I was where you are, ATAR meant everything to me, and I ignored anyone's advice telling me that ATAR is not the end all or it all. But four years out of uni later, I will honestly tell you that ATAR will only define you as a person if you let it to be. The fact is, strive for an ATAR that you think you want to achieve (not the one your parents are telling you) and do everything in year 12 that enables you to say I have really tried my best, through all that adversities with unsupportive parents etc. I think if you can finish your HSC and say I have had hiccups, but I have managed to move out of it and given it my best shot, regardless of what score you got, you should be very proud of yourself and leave year 12 with absolutely no regrets.

3. Rather than blaming yourself and making yourself feel worse, you should shift your thinking instead and think how can I make this situation better. What resources do I have, what steps I can take (even if it is baby steps) that can make myself feel physically, emotionally better. For example, write a positive quote every day and stick it on your wall, i.e. my personal motto, if you fail, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again. Baby steps can just be-okay lets try to concentrate for 30 minutes at a time, take 5 minute break (not going on internet, but like walk around the house, or drink some water etc), or it can be talk to a trusted friend and it might help you vent out some of the negative emotions out, or it might be-go for a walk and enjoy nature for half an hour or something and get back to study, make a study plan/to do list for today, and try to stick to it for a week etc... it doesn't need to be ground breaking or perfect, and I honestly don't think you are ready to do past papers under timed conditions, just do them under untimed conditions, and when you feel comfortable enough with the questions, start doing it under timed conditions. Everyone progresses at different speeds, don't think you must progress to an A+ student immediately-because it puts significant emotional strain for yourself and do more bad then good.

4. I know you are struggling a lot emotionally, I would recommend perhaps going to your school psychologist to see what they can help you with. Don't feel like going to the psychologist means that you are defeated, or you are crazy, you are just acknowledging you have a problem-e.g. depression and you are seeking extra help that you need to help you get through difficult times.

5. I think thinking about what you really want to do/what would get you up in the morning and making it your goal during your HSC to get to that goal eventually will really help you to bring more focus to your life. I am not gonna pretend it is gonna be easy, but I know that you need to keep things in perspective, try your best in your assessment tasks, and if you do get a bad score, think about what you can improve on for next time. One of the most valuable lessons I have ever learnt during my education and from life is it is not what you get, but how you react to things that defines you. Beneath every motivational stories-whether it be Walt Disney, KFC founder, Albert Einstein etc... is often a story of overcoming adversities and reacting against the odds. I think you have what it takes-even if you need some help from others. Adversities in life is inevitable, and parents often don't understand us as well as we would like to be understood. But instead of focusing on the bad, focus on the good, focus on what you can do, how you can shift your way of thinking, how you can choose to react that will make you feel better, focused, and happier.

6. http://community.boredofstudies.org...r-year-studies-yr-11-12-99-atar-graduate.html -check out this study guide if you ever need some subject specific guidance

7. I know you might probably have tried this, but perhaps try talking to your parents and telling them their expectations are unrealistic and it is putting a lot of pressure on you and asking whether you can worry less and not have such high expectations of you-but talk to them in a CALM MANNER, THEY ARE UNLIKELY TO LISTEN TO YOU IF YOU ARE GONNA YELL/BE FRUSTRATED/ANGRY WHATEVER, be calm, collected, assertive and people will respect you for who you are-even if not in the short term, in the long term. Empathy will go a long way, I know it can be hard to empathise with your parents, but whenever a problem gets too big, just look at it from another person's perspective and see where their interests lies, ultimately I don't think your parents will really disown you-as much as you believe in them right now, I think they are just wanting you to be able to get a really high ATAR so you have a lot more choices in what you can do in first year of uni-They want the best for you (But they may be going about it the wrong way). By acknowledging the common interests between them and you-both want you to have a bright future, I think it might make the conversation easier because now they know you are actually listening to what they have to say and trying to understand things-even if you don't agree with them.

8. HSC is an important time, not necessarily because of the end result of ATAR, but because it is a time where you can train your time management, stress management skills in a way and with an intensity that is not possible before. Just always keep things in perspective, take a step back when things get too heated and remember-you are in control of how you react and what you feel-even if the situation itself feels uncontrollable. And assessment tasks are not there to trick you, they are there for you to show to teachers what you have learnt and take this as an opportunity to make your teachers proud, make yourself proud by showing them how much you have understood. In this way, hopefully it alleviates some of your stress and anxiety about the assessment tasks (they are just a part of education-even when you get to uni-there will be many assessment tasks-so just look at it positively rather than end of world kind of thing.

9. If you can afford it, I highly recommend you to get a good tutor or two-a good tutor and mentor will go a long way to alleviate your emotional and academic anxieties throughout the year. Best wishes and never be too harsh on yourself :)

Last edited:

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Hey there OP

Everyone above has given really great advice and without doubt you should follow it. My recommendation is visiting a headspace centre (look for one up in your local area) and asking to speak with an intake worker

highshill

HSC
Hey there....
The HSC is not going to determine what you in your life, think about it the human lives roughly 85 year the hsc is 1 year take the percentage 1/85 x 100 pretty less right? how can one year determine your life, the answer it does not there are so many ways to get into your desired course don't worry, your parents sadly don't understand this, so my word of advice ignore them, think about your dream atar not their and work towards that. The moment you live up to your dreams is the moment you thrive in life

Sunnyindahouz

HSC
Hey there....
The HSC is not going to determine what you in your life, think about it the human lives roughly 85 year the hsc is 1 year take the percentage 1/85 x 100 pretty less right? how can one year determine your life, the answer it does not there are so many ways to get into your desired course don't worry, your parents sadly don't understand this, so my word of advice ignore them, think about your dream atar not their and work towards that. The moment you live up to your dreams is the moment you thrive in life
Thing is - and this is going to sound confusing - my ATAR goal is even higher than theirs, but the difference between them having expectations and me having them is that I'm not going to be too depressed if I don't reach my goals, because I think there's always a way around things and such thing as a fresh start, whereas my parents will make me feel bad about myself for the rest of my life. Also, I think it'd be cool to have a nice ATAR so that I could inspire future HSC-ers to try harder, otherwise any advice I give won't be as credible as, say, a state-ranked 99.95 (y'know what I mean? :p). (I know, what I'm saying seems so conflicting, but hope it makes any sense.) And the thing my parents tell me is that, would you rather work super hard for 1 year and enjoy the rest of your life, or waste this year and suffer the rest of your life trying to pick yourself up, and - according to them - be humiliated by others just because I failed to get an extra 1 ATAR point? So I'd obviously rather enjoy the rest of my life, and deep down I know I would regret it for the rest of my life if I can't get into the course I (and my parents) want to - which, btw, pikachu975, is generally 99+ and one of the courses you mentioned. Also, I know I'm not putting in all the effort I can at ALL right now, but my demons got the better of me and convinced me that it's ok to procrastinate just because I was a week ahead one time. But I'm going to regret it really soon.

Also, for anyone to answer, is it possible to get 99.6+ if you get 80s and maybe the odd 70 for most Term 4 tests that each weigh <10% of the total HSC mark (so we're talking <20% in weighting for internals) but beast out the rest of the year and get high 90s for every (or realistically at least almost every) assessment after that that weighs significantly higher? I'm willing to improve myself drastically - I'll be getting a couple of tutors probably - so I think it's possible. Also, my school (fully selective) is consistently ranked very high in the state every year, so I have a good chance. At the same time, this is why I think my internal ranks will be very low considering my predicted results for this term, since my cohort is highly competitive, and there'll guaranteed be numerous 90s kids for each assessment. So I'm not sure if I can get that ATAR!!

P.S. I don't think I have depression; it's a different kind of problem that takes over my mind at the worst of times, and disappears almost completely other times.

Last edited:

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, I think it'd be cool to have a nice ATAR so that I could inspire future HSC-ers to try harder, otherwise any advice I give won't be as credible as, say, a state-ranked 99.95 (y'know what I mean? :p). (I know, what I'm saying seems so conflicting, but hope it makes any sense.) And the thing my parents tell me is that, would you rather work super hard for 1 year and enjoy the rest of your life, or waste this year and suffer the rest of your life trying to pick yourself up, and - according to them - be humiliated by others just because I failed to get an extra 1 ATAR point?
:'( Are you trying to say that because I'm getting nowhere near 99.95, my words aren't as credible to you as, e.g. Pikachu975 (who is defs getting a high 99+ ATAR) :'( :'( </3

very very very cut

dw just kidding bc I know what you mean and yes getting that state rank and 99.95 is quite admirable in many ways, especially for the younger cohorts, I guess !!! but what your parents said about suffering for the rest of your life and being humiliated by others - I sincerely hope this isn't true because...............that sounds super petty af, being humiliated by others just bc of your ATAR... like, come on....

You define your own success, and it's okay to change your goals!!!

Also, for anyone to answer, is it possible to get 99.6+ if you get 80s and maybe the odd 70 for most Term 4 tests that each weigh <10% of the total HSC mark (so we're talking <20% in weighting for internals) but beast out the rest of the year and get high 90s for every (or realistically at least almost every) assessment after that that weighs significantly higher? I'm willing to improve myself drastically - I'll be getting a couple of tutors probably - so I think it's possible. Also, my school (fully selective) is consistently ranked very high in the state every year, so I have a good chance. At the same time, this is why I think my internal ranks will be very low considering my predicted results for this term, since my cohort is highly competitive, and there'll guaranteed be numerous 90s kids for each assessment. So I'm not sure if I can get that ATAR!!
Even at a top 5 selective school, I have generally noticed how easy it is to overtake one another. (oops the word overtake sounds overly competitive, my bad)

For example, one of my friends for physics:

Term 1: 75%
Term 2: 80%
Term 3: 93%
Term 4: 92%

She rose from being ranked 30 (generally outside band 6 range for our school) to being ranked within the top 8!! :D

Another friend for chemistry:

Term 1: 100%
Term 2: 95%
Term 3: 70%
Term 4: 90%

She dropped from rank 2 to rank 20+ D:

So as you can see, it's pretty easy for your ranks to fluctuate throughout the year, regardless of your performance at the start. You'd probably be able to notice more of a difference at your school, because our first term assessments were worth 25%, whereas yours is <20%

You can do it!! Smash the rest of your HSC!!!!

Sunnyindahouz

HSC
:'( Are you trying to say that because I'm getting nowhere near 99.95, my words aren't as credible to you as, e.g. Pikachu975 (who is defs getting a high 99+ ATAR) :'( :'( </3

very very very cut

dw just kidding bc I know what you mean and yes getting that state rank and 99.95 is quite admirable in many ways, especially for the younger cohorts, I guess !!! but what your parents said about suffering for the rest of your life and being humiliated by others - I sincerely hope this isn't true because...............that sounds super petty af, being humiliated by others just bc of your ATAR... like, come on....

You define your own success, and it's okay to change your goals!!!

Even at a top 5 selective school, I have generally noticed how easy it is to overtake one another. (oops the word overtake sounds overly competitive, my bad)

For example, one of my friends for physics:

Term 1: 75%
Term 2: 80%
Term 3: 93%
Term 4: 92%

She rose from being ranked 30 (generally outside band 6 range for our school) to being ranked within the top 8!! :D

Another friend for chemistry:

Term 1: 100%
Term 2: 95%
Term 3: 70%
Term 4: 90%

She dropped from rank 2 to rank 20+ D:

So as you can see, it's pretty easy for your ranks to fluctuate throughout the year, regardless of your performance at the start. You'd probably be able to notice more of a difference at your school, because our first term assessments were worth 25%, whereas yours is <20%

You can do it!! Smash the rest of your HSC!!!!
I mean, tell me if it isn't true that more people click on the tutoring threads that have things like "**99.95 | State ranking in 2U/3U Maths | All-rounders**". XD Right? They'd want to take their advice more because "obviously" they are beast.

Ok, maybe that was a slight exaggeration, but what I think they meant was that I'd lowkey be looked down upon by "society", considering that I've always had a high academic profile. :D (Not that I allow myself to give a shiit about wtf society thinks tho.)

Thanks, that's relieving to know, especially coming from a really top selective like mine. *relieved face* (Though I guess I can't afford to get anything below 80 at all looking at your friend in chem :O ).

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I mean, tell me if it isn't true that more people click on the tutoring threads that have things like "**99.95 | State ranking in 2U/3U Maths | All-rounders**". XD Right? They'd want to take their advice more because "obviously" they are beast.

Ok, maybe that was a slight exaggeration, but what I think they meant was that I'd lowkey be looked down upon by "society", considering that I've always had a high academic profile. :D (Not that I allow myself to give a shiit about wtf society thinks tho.)

Thanks, that's relieving to know, especially coming from a really top selective like mine. *relieved face* (Though I guess I can't afford to get anything below 80 at all looking at your friend in chem :O ).
Lol no one gives a crap about your ATAR in uni so how can you be looked down upon by society

Sunnyindahouz

HSC
Lol no one gives a crap about your ATAR in uni so how can you be looked down upon by society
tru dat

Edit: except that certain acquaintances (not close friends) will all want to know how I go (know this from experience) and apparently their opinions matter. \_(._.)_/

Last edited:

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
P.S. I don't think I have depression; it's a different kind of problem that takes over my mind at the worst of times, and disappears almost completely other times.
Speaking from personal experience, I'd still highly recommend seeing a councillor or psychologist, just to see if they are of any help. It might not seem like much but having that extra support can work wonders
All the best :)

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
It could be but from what I think you may be experiencing mood swings which is a common symptom of anxiety/depression

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)