Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kendallkreene
  • 2 Post By PikyoK
  • 1 Post By Sp3ctre
  • 1 Post By fkwit

Thread: Studying with/without music?

HSC

Studying with/without music?

Everyone says that it is better to study without music on because it helps you concentrate, but I get distracted easily by stuff that goes on in my mind so I find that music actually helps me concentrate because it blocks out all the scattered mental activity. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?
    HSCis_superhard likes this.
    English Advanced | English Extension 1 | English Extension 2 | Music 2 | Music Extension | Modern History | Ancient History

ATAR Aim: 98.50

HSC

Re: Studying with/without music?

Yeah I usually switch between music and no music depending on what work I'm doing, but generally I listen to music while working.

I've noticed I always get songs stuck in my head when doing exams so I've started listening to particular songs when studying so that when I'm in the exam I play the song in my head and associate it with whatever I was studying. It sometimes works haha
    HSC 2018: Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

HSC Goal: Band 6 in everything

HSC

My use of music whilst studying depended on what I was studying. For higher conceptual thinking subjects (e.g. Physics), music would be a no-no. For lower conceptual thinking subjects (e.g. English and Maths), music would be an option but preferably ignored (music may lead to procrastination). My advice for you would be to ensure that you appropriately decide when to listen to music as to maximise the effectiveness of your study in regards to your concentration. Personally, I would but in minimised quantities.
    ATAR Goal: 95ish
    ATAR Achieved: 97.65
    Desired Course: Bachelor of Engineering (Hons)/Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering

2017 HSC ~ Penrith High School
    English (Adv.) [83] ~ Mathematics Ext. 1 [99] ~ Mathematics Ext. 2 [92] ~ Physics [90] ~ Biology [93]

2018-2023 ~ UNSW
    Bachelor of Engineering (Hons)/Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering

HSC

Studying with music allowed me to concentrate really well
    spicy

HSC
    Uni Grad

genre of music is important as well.
    2014 HSC
    2015 Gap Year
    2016-2018 UOW Bachelor of Maths/Maths Advanced.

Links:
    View English Notes (no download). Purchase a downloadable/printable copy on SELLFY here + Year 10 notes
    Maths Notes - Free Sample
    Chemistry Notes Sample + Buy (soon)

thsconline: https://thsconline.github.io/s/ (2017 papers uploaded)

HSC

Mostly always did HW or studied with fast paced music e.g. modern songs, nightcore, dubstep sort of stuff, as I was always on low sleep so it was hard to concentrate!!
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv (91) // Bio (96) // Phys (95) // 3U Maths (99) // 4U Maths (97) //
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Mostly always did HW or studied with fast paced music e.g. modern songs, nightcore, dubstep sort of stuff, as I was always on low sleep so it was hard to concentrate!!
    I like to study with orchestral fast-paced music as well as traditional Korean Gayageum music.
    pikachu975 and fluffchuck like this.
    Preliminary 2017 || English Advanced - Economics - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1:

HSC 2018 || English Standard - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1

ATAR AIM: 92+

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by spaghettii View Post
    Yeah I usually switch between music and no music depending on what work I'm doing, but generally I listen to music while working.

I've noticed I always get songs stuck in my head when doing exams so I've started listening to particular songs when studying so that when I'm in the exam I play the song in my head and associate it with whatever I was studying. It sometimes works haha
    Me too
    Preliminary 2017 || English Advanced - Economics - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1:

HSC 2018 || English Standard - Ancient History - Biology - Visual Arts - General Maths - Studies of Religion 1

ATAR AIM: 92+

HSC

I personally listen to music when studying on quite a consistent basis. I find that it helps focus and concentrate my attention. However, the genre of music I listen to is movie scores/soundtracks, which are often orchestral or instrumental which I thoroughly enjoy, whilst the lack of words eliminates the collision between mental thought and the music (as when you think you think in words, which when listening to other words, for me at least, seems to be incompatible. Interestingly, for maths the effect of this seems to be quite dramatically reduced, but is still not ideal).
    Mathematics Extension 2 - Physics - Chemistry - Economics - English Advanced

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by dan964 View Post
    genre of music is important as well.
    Yeah definitely

I find that I usually listen to different genres depending on the topic, e.g. maths - trap, hard style; art - rock; legal studies - either trap or rock
    HSC 2018: Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

HSC Goal: Band 6 in everything

HSC

Classical music helped me concentrate much more than usual, I find other genres distracting though
    FocusTutoring likes this.
    HSC 2017: English Adv - Maths Ext 1 - Maths Ext 2 - Chemistry - Physics
    ATAR Aim: 97.30

HSC

I've found that piano covers and ambient music has assisted me the most with studying

HSC

It has to be kept quiet, and it has to be instrumental so the lyrics don't influence my writing or distract me. I'm alright with any music while doing maths though. Blast it. I jam out to freaking Hamilton the musical. My name is Alexander Hamilton.... and there's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait....

Message to Bears has some nice background study music. It can be sad or refreshing or intriguing and (nicely) influence your writing. I have three of their albums on my phone.
    Ohhhh the mountains say, the mouuuuntains say....
    PRELIM 2017: 3U English - 2U Maths - Biology - Chemistry - Physics - Modern History
    HSC 2018: 4U English - General Maths - Biology - Modern History - History Extension
    *still sits in chemistry and physics during my free periods to learn the content 'cause regret*
    ATAR goal: 95+

HSC

Lads think about this, can you chuck a hakk while your eating. That's a nah cuz, its impossible lads. That's why u can't do music and maths at the same time just doesn't work.
    spaghettii likes this.
    DUX OF MT DRUITT THE KINGPIN OF TN SOCIETY

HSC
    Uni Grad

I think studying with music can help to a certain extent, but closer to exam period, you need to try to do past exam papers under time limit with no music on. There is actual psychological studies that show that you perform the best in exams if you try to replicate exam conditions as closely as possible. What this means is if you are in actual exam with no music, but you are used to studying with music, your memory recall will be poorer compared to when you have practised with no music.

However, what I find is sometimes I listened to music enough times I can have this virtual tune in my head playing when I am doing the exam paper, it is sort of motivating particularly when you feel tired during the exam.
    "DEFINE your own results, don't let your results DEFINE you"
    2013 All Rounders| Eng Adv(93)|2 unit maths(95)|Chem(94)|Physics(91)|
    Offering personalised tutoring: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...g-classifieds/

Thread Information