Hsc dropping 2u maths to general (1 Viewer)

NP2022

HSC
Hi guys,

I did poorly in my first HSC 2U mathematics exam and was thinking about dropping down to general. I was just wondering if my 2U mathematics mark would count towards final HSC mark if i were to drop down to general?

Thanks.

tazhossain99

HSC
No, it wouldn't. If you drop a course, any mark you obtained previously will be 'discarded'. An estimate should be calculated by your school for your missed general maths assessment.

sida1049

HSC
I see that in your profile, you have listed engineering as an interest. If that is the case, please don't drop 2U maths, even if your mark isn't great. Maths is an essential skill for engineering, and general maths won't be anywhere close to enough (due to the lack of calculus). While many universities don't require you to have done 2U maths, and only assume that you have, USYD is introducing 2U as a prerequisite for a ton of its degrees, including engineering.

DontCallMeYoshiko

HSC
If the averaged marks in your school's general class is not too good, I wouldn't recommend it.

horse9996

HSC
Don’t drop based on your mark for the first assessment task. Learn where you went wrong and work harder for the next one to aim to improve. If you are still steuggling then may e reconsider the . I lnow people who have accidentally missed half their trial for maths and still got high 90 atars. This is only task 1, so don’t worry too mich

Robbie M

HSC
I would advice dropping to general if only for the fact that you will probably get better marks and a better ATAR than if you picked 2u. If you are considering dropping i would advise dropping ASAP as later droppers usually get worse marks in general. But this like Sida1049 said all depends on what course you want to pursue in uni

tklawl

HSC
N/A
How did you do in prelim? It isn't a direct indicator of how you will perform in the HSC year, but it does say something. If your prelim year was bad (really bad), drop down to general. However, if you were mediocre (averaging 60-70%), keep on it. I started the prelim year with a good ol' 74% and averaged 80%~ throughout the year. First HSC exam also wasn't very good relative to my peers, but I worked on it and ended up getting a state rank which was pretty awesome. There was also someone in my grade that was ranked 25th~ throughout the entire HSC year and absolutely destroyed everyone in the trials. They ended up ranking 2nd and received a final HSC mark of 98/99.

Also, 2u does scale much better than general mathematics - it is in no way difficult if you put in the hard work. Theory and past papers - rinse and repeat whilst marking yourself and keep a document with all the mistakes you make. Exam technique is key in mathematics.

^ If you're doing engineering, save yourself the hassle of taking bridging courses and just do 2u.

Have fun and just know that you'll be amazing if you put in the effort (as I hope you do).

- That is probably a question for your school's mathematics faculty. Different schools have different methods of determining whether or not your marks from a dropped course will contribute to your current course - some average your marks out and some give you the mark. ASK YOUR MATHS FACULTY!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)