Advice: (1 Viewer)

gallen88

HSC
Hi,

I'm currently completing 11 units for the HSC. I received some of my tasks back and while majority have been good (band 5/6s), one has been a major disappointment. I received my Modern History back and received 73%. Despite this I came 7th/25 as our cohort struggled and it was marked "harshly" - (from what other students have said, I think it was marked fairly to be honest). Literally 3rd place was (2 people tied) 83%, 5th was 80% and 6th was 75%, 1st/2nd received band 6s. I have read over the feedback and I know where I went wrong. The task weighted 15% of my overall internal but I'm worried about catching up with ranks/marks. I know that 1st/2nd is out of the question but I was aiming for 5th in Modern History with a solid band 5 (band 6 might be out of the question too at this point). Does anyone have advice about what to do over the holiday break? By the way it was WWI - the task.

I really appreciate the feedback as I'm pretty stressed. : (

Thanks.

Last edited:

captainneuro

HSC
Hi,

I'm currently completing 11 units for the HSC. I received some of my tasks back and while majority have been good (band 5/6s), one has been a major disappointment. I received my Modern History back and received 73%. Despite this I came 7th/25 as our cohort struggled and it was marked "harshly" - (from what other students have said, I think it was marked fairly to be honest). Literally 3rd place was (2 people tied) 83%, 5th was 80% and 6th was 75%, 1st/2nd received band 6s. I have read over the feedback and I know where I went wrong. The task weighted 15% of my overall internal but I'm worried about catching up with ranks/marks. I know that 1st/2nd is out of the question but I was aiming for 5th in Modern History with a solid band 5 (band 6 might be out of the question too at this point). Does anyone have advice about what to do over the holiday break? By the way it was WWI - the task.

I really appreciate the feedback as I'm pretty stressed. : (

Thanks.
Band 5 is easily achievable.. Even your raw mark of 73 now will get scaled to a band 5.. aim for a band 6. Always aim the highest, that way if you fall a bit short it’s okay. Don’t limit yourself with this lol. Also with ranks, it can change drastically over the year, mid year 12 my friend was ranked 12th, at the end of year 12, he was ranked 5th, just in the span of a few months. This is only your first assessment, smash every single other assessment/exam and make it to top 3 or 2 very easily if you do well and put in the effort. Also no, coming 1st isn’t out of the question if you get the highest marks constantly from now to hsc, including (and esp) trials. You’ll be surprised. But dw, it’s normal we were all just as stressed as you when starting out year 12.
Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Jakulore

HSC
Don't worry about it, you can catch up again easily. It's only your first task and it is only 15%. So, realistically, that's only 4ish marks lost, which can easil be made up in other assessments, so as long as you just do decently in the remaining tasks you'll be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)