State Ranks and Internal Ranks (1 Viewer)

Jolteon

HSC
Hey! With the 2017 results coming out and the State ranks being released, I was just curious about the correlation between internal ranks and state ranks.

Sorry if that is a bit confusing but what I mean is, is it possible to achieve a State Rank without being first in Internals?
It's a bit vague but I'm also curious about the difficulty etc.
I.e. How hard it is to become a Top Achiever especially in smaller subjects that only have a 5 SR limit

Thanks!

captainneuro

HSC
State rank is based on overall hsc mark and internal ranks play a 50% role in your overall hsc so.. pretty important. It is possible to achieve state rank if you’re not first but with like being top 3 or 4 internals, but it’s obviously extremely difficult and is only seen in really top ranked schools where there’s not much of a difference between first place and second place or even third since the competition is high. In an average to low ranked school.. realistically speaking - very low chance, if any at all. In low ranked schools barely the first place person gets state rank, let alone students ranked lower in that cohort

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
State rank is based on overall hsc mark and internal ranks play a 50% role in your overall hsc so.. pretty important. It is possible to achieve state rank if you’re not first but with like being top 3 or 4 internals, but it’s obviously extremely difficult and is only seen in really top ranked schools where there’s not much of a difference between first place and second place or even third since the competition is high. In an average to low ranked school.. realistically speaking - very low chance, if any at all. In low ranked schools barely the first place person gets state rank, let alone students ranked lower in that cohort
Is definitely a chance.

I taught at a very low ranked school (mid-300s iirc) and a student in my Physics class was internally ranked third, he ended up state ranking.

If he was either 1st or 2nd internally, he would have been the top achiever in Physics that year (only student with exam mark 99). So, internal rank does impact state ranks for sure.

So, it does happen, but more often than not, the state rankers are top of the cohort or top 5 at one of the top selective schools.

Last edited:

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Hey! With the 2017 results coming out and the State ranks being released, I was just curious about the correlation between internal ranks and state ranks.

Sorry if that is a bit confusing but what I mean is, is it possible to achieve a State Rank without being first in Internals?
It's a bit vague but I'm also curious about the difficulty etc.
I.e. How hard it is to become a Top Achiever especially in smaller subjects that only have a 5 SR limit

Thanks!
If you aren't first internally, then it does become somewhat harder to state rank. It is possible though however as long as you are ranked relatively high in your cohort (maybe 2nd or 3rd) and the gap between first place is small. Also, if you do state rank and you're not first, chances are that first place will also state rank provided that they also did well externally in the HSC exam too.

Here's an example that actually happened to better explain this:

- One of my friends was ranked 7th or something in Std. English and was quite far behind rank 1 in terms of the gap between marks. However, in the actual HSC exam for English, he got an exam mark of 96 which was a state ranking mark. The thing was, his assessment mark was 86 or something due to his rank and so his overall mark was 91. He didn't state rank.

- On the other hand, the person who came first received 96 as his assessment mark (since it was the highest scoring mark achieved by any student in the exam). He also did well in the exam himself and got like 92. His overall mark was therefore 94, which was a state ranking mark. Thus, he state ranked.

Just remember that state ranks are calculated based off your moderated assessment mark and your examination mark - your moderated assessment mark depends upon your performance in school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)