For those who succeeded in Ancient / Modern History (1 Viewer)

kendallkreene

HSC
How many textbooks/resources did you use? Did you stick with one textbook/resource or consult as many as possible?

I'm currently getting overwhelmed by this wealth of information - textbook extracts, articles, reports, websites, powerpoint etc, my teacher has given us all for one syllable dot point. While it's very useful, I find that my understanding is a little scattered and overwhelming due to the large amount.

ALSO does anyone recommend a good Modern History textbook that structures the content well? Don't really like the one my school uses tbh

mozzafiato11

HSC
At my school we use the Key Features of Modern History and its really good. I usually find powerpoints that teachers give us is jsut a reguritation of the textbook. Usually I'll do a bit of research online just to get some more information to "differentiate myself" from the rest of the class or if i don't understand something because my Modern teacher goes so fast.

I also would recommend Cambridge Checkpoints which is a summary version of all the info if you dont want to buy the textbook which are usully supeerrrr expensive and im pretty sure the Cambridge you should be able to find at your local libray or school library.

Hope this helps! :)

Arianfan

HSC
My class would summarise the contents learnt every week into a separate summary book which we used to study for exams. The book would usually consist of sources, key terms and definitions, key events and people, and a few extra details to spice things up and make us sound smart. In ancient history we used antiquity 2 and Ken Webb's 'The Greek World 500-440BC' (which would be irrelevant if you're not studying the Greek world from 500-440 BC) which were both very good and, at times, content heavy. The summary books really did help with managing content and i'd highly recommend it if you're motivate enough.

Also, as a side note, make sure you know about some modern historians, especially with ancient history, as making references to their theories and opinions will give HSC markers a hard on. :)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
For ancient, look at all the past papers for your modules anf formulate generic easays for each. There's a set amount of topics that could come up, so it is a good method to use.

thelargeshaw

HSC
Hi, just finished my HSC so i know the histories are pretty rough content wise. I'd suggest 2-3 textbooks per topic at least to have the info required for a B6.

STUDENT K

HSC
all i used was a combination of notes off of here that other people made, and sometimes the txtbk we got given at school, and i managed a band 5. I didn't do any past papers at all, i just focused on learning the actual content. Having it all nice and concise worked for me. too much info just completely overwhelmed me and i couldn't deal with it. But, yea everyone is different and you gotta find your own rhythm.

STUDENT K

HSC
oh and also i should mention. Yes, past papers really annoyed me, but i would use the essay questions and PLAN a response and what i would write in each paragraph, and think about it in my head, because honestly, i dont wanna waste that much time hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)