• 6 Post By supR
  • 3 Post By fluffchuck
  • 1 Post By bunnykun
  • 1 Post By Green Yoda

Thread: studying 10 hours a day is right or wrong

Cadet
    HSC

studying 10 hours a day is right or wrong

hey guy's i committed my self to 10 hour day schedule. My story is that I neglected 2 units and i'm behind on 2 topics but i've been working my ass of to cathch up. With my other subjects i got decent marks English standrard 85 biology 97 maths 2u : 75. My question is it worth working to the point where you burn out at the end of the day from studying. Like its 10h of QUALITY study/
    nomouth likes this.

HSC

Re: studying 10 hours a day is right or wrong

It is near impossible to maintain a schedule like that in any facet of life and actually benefit from it.
    I just finished reading a book "Do Less, Be More" that discusses at length the effects and implications of overworking and the little benefit that is received.

Sweden had most recently put in place 6 hour working days, and employees found that they could do the same amount of work as 8 hour days, with less unproductive moments and have more time to pursue hobbies, family and self development.

What I'm trying to say is that there is no real use is increasing the hours you are studying, as hours do not equate to performance.
    If you really knuckled down for 2-3 hours with 5-10 minute breaks in between for example, you would be able to achieve similar results to spending 10 hours. Even if you planned to be quality and productive the whole time, it would be near impossible to sustain that. During the 4 weeks of HSC exams, 6-10 hours is a time frame that most people would be working in.

Instead of trying to be constantly busy, pick out the activities where your energy will be used most efficiently, and that will have the greatest impact on your results and goals moving forward.
    Best of luck.
    HSC 2018

Maths Ext 1 - Maths Ext 2 - English Adv - Physics - Chemistry - Economics

ATAR GOAL: 97.00+ | All Rounders

HSC

10 hours a day will get u killed
    2017:
    Chemistry - Physics - English (Standard) - Maths Ext 1 - Maths Ext 2

2018:
    ???

HSC

doable

just don't fall into the trap of thinking "10 hours of studying" = productive day. It's not about the amount of hours you put in but how much work you get done.
    nomouth likes this.

HSC
    N/A

Bad

HSC

Unless its before HSC or Trials, 10 hours a day is really mentally draining and really affects your mental health. Work smart not hard
    jpjoqiuhtpijw likes this.
    2016 Preliminary

Maths Extension • English Advanced • Biology • Legal Studies • Physics • PDHPE

2017 HSC

Maths Extension 2 • English Advanced • Biology • Physics • PDHPE

Atar aim: 97
    Desired Course: Physiotherapy

HSC

I personally believe 10 hours a day is unrealistic. It will be extremely difficult to maintain that schedule. I also believe that it wouldn't be too productive for you, as I know it won't for me. This is because if I study for too long, my brain just stops functioning. Everything i read, wouldn't go into my brain. It's just like when you're reading a book and you had no idea what on earth you just read in the past minute so you need to re-read. All in all, i say you shouldn't do 10 hours to study. Someone may study for 2 hours a day and get the atar that you desire because they are studying efficiently and smartly. Longer the hour does not mean the higher the atar. GL!

HSC

Go for 9am to like 5pm with 10 minute breaks every 40 minutes. Go for a run in the morning and a walk in the afternoon then just chill out at night. Hot summer nights have already started.
    2017 HSC
    Advanced English - Biology - Senior Science - Modern History - Mathematics General II
    ATAR aim: 80ish
    ATAR achieved: 80.55

HSC

10 hours? eek god no that sounds so restrictive and unhealthy, I can't imagine how one would actually be productive and not burn out at the same time, maybe before important exam periods but normally? Nah, our mental health is the most important thing, with a study schedule like this, burning out and exhaustion will surely happen. A good mental wellbeing usually means willingness and motivation to do activities and things but I doubt 10 hours of study will actually place people in a healthy mindset
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Thatstudentm9 View Post
    Like its 10h of QUALITY study/
    Glad you're motivated to do so, but don't. It won't be quality study for that long, for the reasons everyone above has mentioned already. You just started year 12, 2-3 hours of study is enough per day for now, gradually increase that accordingly for trials/hsc as it gets closer. Play it smart.
    Neuroscience fella

2018 Sci (Neuroscience) @ University of Sydney

2017’ HSC alumni

HSC

Don't do it for now but the weeks leading up to HSC do it!!!

However props to you for working that hard. If you want to study 10/hr per day then do it, because you'll be proud of yourself for working hard later on when you get into your course
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv (91) // Bio (96) // Phys (95) // 3U Maths (99) // 4U Maths (97) //
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC

HSC is a marathon, not a sprint my friend
    English Advanced | English Extension 1 | English Extension 2 | Music 2 | Music Extension | Modern History | Ancient History

ATAR Aim: 98.50

Dream Degree: Law/Arts

HSC

If you enjoy and value your studies, you can commit to a 10 hour study day just as easily as you can commit 10 hours to other hobbies / interests. If you ever feel burned out, then you should definitely cut down on your study time, since that indicates that you probably don't have as much motivation to study as you may think.

HSC

You can try it during these holidays, making sure to have sensible break times. IMO works better if you do like 1 hour or 2 hours of Bio, then swap to different subject, then 1 or 2 hours and swap again. Probably start off with like 6 hours/day then try bump it up to 8 if you want, that's more than enough for the start of HSC

If you can work up the discipline to study for that long during the holidays, then during the school year it will be a lot easier to effectively study 4 hours/night. Discipline and routine are way more important than random bursts of motivation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique could be a useful read and it's pretty easy to do 50 mins or an hour or study then have a 10 minute break
    Tutoring for Advanced English, Chemistry, Biology and Modern History

2017 HSC: Advanced English (96) | Chemistry (96) | Biology (96) | Mod (96) | 2U Math (97) | 3U Math (48) |
    ATAR: 99.80

Editing English/Modern History Essays and Creatives: $25 each

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Thatstudentm9 View Post
    hey guy's i committed my self to 10 hour day schedule. My story is that I neglected 2 units and i'm behind on 2 topics but i've been working my ass of to cathch up. With my other subjects i got decent marks English standrard 85 biology 97 maths 2u : 75. My question is it worth working to the point where you burn out at the end of the day from studying. Like its 10h of QUALITY study/
    Adding on to what everyone else has already said...

Based on what you've said, it looks like you're doing this just to catch up. I definitely wouldn't say it's healthy, but you'll definitely be less stressed by the time you catch up, and it'll be more beneficial for when you're learning the new content. However, if it's only two topics, it doesn't seem necessary to do that much in a day. Consider what it is you plan to do in those 10 hours, and see if there is anything you could cut out and still achieve the result you want.
    E.g. If you want to write out a neat set of notes for a subject, such as maths, but you also need to do past paper Qs, you could bypass the notes, find some summaries/notes online and just work on past papers (minimising the amount of time you spend unnecessarily)
    Prelim 2017
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Physics ~ Music 2 ~ Legal Studies ~ Financial Services (AA)
    HSC 2017
    Mathematics (98)
    HSC 2018
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Mathematics Extension 2 ~ Music 2 ~ Legal Studies ~ Financial Services (AA)

HSC

What if you just studied five hours per day, and went to the gym for the other five, that way you'll be smrat and huge... or better yet, ten hours of study and ten hours of gym.

Thread Information