active study vs passive study (1 Viewer)

Thatstudentm9

HSC
active study vs passive study:
so i study like this i make notes and revise them. Occasionally ill be doing questions in the textbook and attempt extended responses questions here and there. I've been told that's a REALLY PASSIVE way to study. comment below how you study or the ways you actively study. Any tips to get good marks in 1) maths 2u 2) english standard 3) biology 4) SOR 5)business studies. Let me know good methods to study ACTIVELY

tklawl

HSC
N/A
Mathematics - Key to doing well is completing past papers. Go to https://thsconline.github.io/s/yr12/Maths/, find some trial papers (you have A BUNCH to choose from) and continuously do them. Make sure you mark your answers and I suggest keeping a word document with common mistakes that you make. Do a few past papers a day (preferably 2 - try to do them within 2 hours and not 3) if you can or just pick 7 past papers that you will do that week and make sure you do them. If you don't understand theory, go to a textbook and learn it by completing the worked exercises - know the basics and the past papers will guide you. This is as active as it can get in maths.

English - I didn't do standard, but study techniques associated with advanced should be identical. Firstly you need to REALLY understand the modules (I will not explain this as Boredofstudies has a billion guides on modules). Then you must understand your texts well and fully comprehend essay writing (clear thesis/idea and continuous reinforcement of that idea or otherwise). You have two options from this point; you can either memorise a bunch of quotes and techniques and categorise them based on themes/overarching paragraph ideas, or you can memorise a few adaptable essays. I memorised a bunch of paragraphs (and knew how to place them in an essay) for my trial exams and the HSC. For studying; you need to memorise the aforementioned quotes/essays throughout the year or when you get the chance. If you have 2 or 3 hours spare, write essays. Do this as you go through each module and by the end of the year, you'll have semi-memorised a bunch of essays/quotes (remember to remain consistent and revise so you don't completely forget everything). Again, this is the most active way in english -- just make sure you get feedback on your essays - ask teachers, peers or use forums. (Personally, it was not until a few months before my trial exams that I started picking up these study techniques, so it's good that you are).

Business studies - Consistently revise the syllabus - memorise it completely. As you go through each topic; ensure by the end of it that you know the syllabus and can define every term in the syllabus. What I did was I went through the syllabus and asked myself if I could write a hypothetical essay/business report paragraph on that dotpoint. If I could, I was fine with it and If I could not, I would revise. From here, you need to complete a bunch of past papers (which can also be found on thsconline). Make sure you get these marked (either by you, a peer or your teacher).

Most active way of studying = consistent practice through past papers (writing essays, getting them marked and understanding where you went wrong).

This post is probably as generic as it can get, but this is what I did.

winterinkat

HSC
Thank you very much! Currently studying for a business studies in class report;;

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Mathematics - Key to doing well is completing past papers. Go to https://thsconline.github.io/s/yr12/Maths/, find some trial papers (you have A BUNCH to choose from) and continuously do them. Make sure you mark your answers and I suggest keeping a word document with common mistakes that you make. Do a few past papers a day (preferably 2 - try to do them within 2 hours and not 3) if you can or just pick 7 past papers that you will do that week and make sure you do them. If you don't understand theory, go to a textbook and learn it by completing the worked exercises - know the basics and the past papers will guide you. This is as active as it can get in maths.

English - I didn't do standard, but study techniques associated with advanced should be identical. Firstly you need to REALLY understand the modules (I will not explain this as Boredofstudies has a billion guides on modules). Then you must understand your texts well and fully comprehend essay writing (clear thesis/idea and continuous reinforcement of that idea or otherwise). You have two options from this point; you can either memorise a bunch of quotes and techniques and categorise them based on themes/overarching paragraph ideas, or you can memorise a few adaptable essays. I memorised a bunch of paragraphs (and knew how to place them in an essay) for my trial exams and the HSC. For studying; you need to memorise the aforementioned quotes/essays throughout the year or when you get the chance. If you have 2 or 3 hours spare, write essays. Do this as you go through each module and by the end of the year, you'll have semi-memorised a bunch of essays/quotes (remember to remain consistent and revise so you don't completely forget everything). Again, this is the most active way in english -- just make sure you get feedback on your essays - ask teachers, peers or use forums. (Personally, it was not until a few months before my trial exams that I started picking up these study techniques, so it's good that you are).

Business studies - Consistently revise the syllabus - memorise it completely. As you go through each topic; ensure by the end of it that you know the syllabus and can define every term in the syllabus. What I did was I went through the syllabus and asked myself if I could write a hypothetical essay/business report paragraph on that dotpoint. If I could, I was fine with it and If I could not, I would revise. From here, you need to complete a bunch of past papers (which can also be found on thsconline). Make sure you get these marked (either by you, a peer or your teacher).

Most active way of studying = consistent practice through past papers (writing essays, getting them marked and understanding where you went wrong).

This post is probably as generic as it can get, but this is what I did.
A maths paper a day keeps the * ATAR away?

gallen88

HSC
A maths paper a day keeps the * ATAR away?
@SupR - amazing, just amazing! (your comment).

Pretty much follow everything tkawl said (@tkawl nice notes and congrats on the ATAR too! :tennisclap:) I've been doing this for Modern History and it has helped quite a bit. (Let's see how I go with my assessment this coming Friday and Half Yearlies :uhoh:). It's essential for Standard English though if you want to get top rank and a band 6 as well as any other subject!

You can do it! : )

studygirl118

HSC
active study vs passive study:
so i study like this i make notes and revise them. Occasionally ill be doing questions in the textbook and attempt extended responses questions here and there. I've been told that's a REALLY PASSIVE way to study. comment below how you study or the ways you actively study. Any tips to get good marks in 1) maths 2u 2) english standard 3) biology 4) SOR 5)business studies. Let me know good methods to study ACTIVELY
For Biology and SOR, my “notes” are literally a set of answers for each syllabus for point. Sometimes I will structure my answers as I would structure a response in the exam. Yo read it over and over and by the time you get to the exam, and get a question relating to that syllabus dot point , you already know how to write a response to it because you’ve written it before. It’s kinda active in a way I guess because instead of wrong vague dot points you’re actually synthesising the information into a response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)