What is the best way to critic your own work. (1 Viewer)

charmingman

HSC
I'm trying to recycle my creative instead of creating a new one. The ideas are solid, but the delivery is weak and vague. How do I manage to change this?

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm no English expert, but I think a key component of a good creative is the whole "show don't tell" thing. Also a developed character/s help give the story a sense of progression.

Here's a link to an article that goes into editing a proofreading. Haven't read this article in particular but the website is pretty good:
https://www.artofsmart.com.au/edit-and-proofread-your-hsc-creative-writing/
Also here's another article of theirs that I've found pretty helpful:
https://www.artofsmart.com.au/hsc-creative-writing-guide/

jjuunnee

HSC
Critiquing your own work is quite difficult because you can easily overlook your flaws, so I suggest getting people to read it eg. friends, family, teachers. However, reading your creative out loud may help to highlight areas that need more work, because if it sounds weird out loud it most likely reads weirdly as well.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
send it to me over PM, I'll have a look and give you some feedback
-dan

BienvenueAMusA

HSC
-show not tell
- don't change tenses
- vary sentence structure

for critiquing, print it out and grab a couple of highlighters, red pen and go through your work

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Haha I remember doing this back when I did my creative. This is what I basically did:

- Ensure that your character interactions do not feel contrived

- Make sure that every sentence you write contributes to the atmosphere and/or progression of the story. If it doesn't, its better to take it out and replace it with something useful.

- Don't change tense during the story (unless you're having a prolepsis or analepsis - I'll talk about this later)

- Consider a complex cyclical structure rather than linear progression (e.g. analepsis[flashback] or prolepsis[flashforward]). This can add complexity to your story which markers like.

- Keep number of characters as low as possible if it suits your story. (This is often a debated topic but I personally preferred fewer characters)

- Vary sentence structure - have some sentences long and some short. Don't have a continuous barrage or short sentences consecutively or long sentences consecutively.

- Ask yourself whether the description of your setting is immersive enough for the reader such that they can really imagine what the environment of the characters are like. This is pretty tough lol and it's hard to do it by yourself so I just gave it to my teacher and asked his opinion on it lol.

Hope that helped! They were just stuff that I did so there's no need for you to follow them strictly or anything - they're just a small guide :) English is already a pretty subjective subject so there's no real clear cut way to critique your own work but hopefully the above can act as a few pointers.

Jackzerippa

HSC
N/A
Get your teacher to critique it. I can't stress that enough. They are the ones who mark the HSC year in and year out. They know what the markers are looking for

noname2

HSC
Hi you all !! have some questions and need help from all you all !
So at the moment, I'm doing ESL for my 2018 hsc and I have a friend who is also doing ESL but he had been in Australia for more than 5 years so he is our out-standing student in ESL. He supported to study Extension 1 English but had chosen to do ESL instead. So at the moment, he's doing a prescribed*text from Advance English whereas we're doing a different prescribed*text. so my questions are.

1. If he does that in his HSC exam, Will his exam be considered as an outlier and will be marked differently or has more potential comparing to our exams as my classmates are all doing the same prescribed*text?
2. I heard that in the HSC exam, the HSC markers will be different for each different Essay ( like if you do your essay on a prescribed*text then a particular HSC markers will mark that parts of your essay?) and If yes, Will he get more benefit than us by doing his own work comparing to the rest of us ?
3. What tips to be good at studying ESL cause I'm currently band 4 in ESL and really get struck on the essay writing and how to adapt the question. ?
4. Any recommendations for studying ESL online for AOS Discovery for China Coin book and all ESL stuffs?
5. Should I learn to use more academic words in my essay or strongly focus on the structure of the essay ? ( I'm looking for a high band 5 ESL for my HSC)

APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)