is it too late (1 Viewer)

RAY RAY 20

HSC
N/A
I am in year 12, I missed 3 of first internal assessments and I know that I have to re-sit the exams when school starts, but I wasted my holidays doing nothing and now am stressed out, is it too late to study. (like 6 days left)
also is it possible for me to get a good ATAR (85+) I didn't study for most of term 1 of the HSC year.
I procrastinate too much and although I like my subjects I don't want to study for them
thanks

phat_tar

HSC
Uni Grad
Well, your first internal assessments are likely weighted relatively low, so you should be able to make a come back even if you don't do great in them, however, this is providing that you work hard throughout the year. A 85 ATAR is reasonably achievable for most people even with a few stuff ups, providing there is a good amount of work put in and you're not a complete battler, still, I have met people who aren't particularly smart but still ended up getting very very high ATARs because they worked hard. Much of the HSC comes down to how hard and effectively you work, so if you can break your procrastination habit you should be able to do well.

RAY RAY 20

HSC
N/A
Well, your first internal assessments are likely weighted relatively low, so you should be able to make a come back even if you don't do great in them, however, this is providing that you work hard throughout the year. A 85 ATAR is reasonably achievable for most people even with a few stuff ups, providing there is a good amount of work put in and you're not a complete battler, still, I have met people who aren't particularly smart but still ended up getting very very high ATARs because they worked hard. Much of the HSC comes down to how hard and effectively you work, so if you can break your procrastination habit you should be able to do well.
Thanks, i was totally stressing, it just felt like I left things too late, but you are absolutely right I just need to put in the hard work.

clovvy

HSC
Thanks, i was totally stressing, it just felt like I left things too late, but you are absolutely right I just need to put in the hard work.
what are your subjects if you don't mind me asking?

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
I am in year 12, I missed 3 of first internal assessments and I know that I have to re-sit the exams when school starts, but I wasted my holidays doing nothing and now am stressed out, is it too late to study. (like 6 days left)
also is it possible for me to get a good ATAR (85+) I didn't study for most of term 1 of the HSC year.
I procrastinate too much and although I like my subjects I don't want to study for them
thanks
Hey there,

Please don't worry too much - I didn't study that much during the Summer holidays as well. My best advice would be to start studying as soon as possible - that is, catch up on all the theory, make succinct notes and do some practice questions if possible. If you know when you have to resit these exams, make sure you put these dates on a calendar or something so you can organise your time and know when you have to study more for the upcoming assessments.

For example, if you know that you have to resit your first exam on the third day back, make sure you put that subject as your priority and study it as much as you can before your actual exam. Of course, don't neglect your other subjects but just make sure you put more emphasis on the exam coming up.

It's also never too late to study. My first term of Year 12 in English wasn't that great. Nonetheless, I just tried to improve and do my best once the Summer holidays finished and I ended up improving a lot in terms of school rank. Just learn to be consistent throughout the year and if possible avoid intense cramming before an exam.

And just remember that your final HSC exam accounts up to 50% of you final HSC mark. This means that it carries a lot of weight, so if you do excellent in the final exams then you should be totally fine! Just remember to do consistently well in your school assessments as it can impact your final mark depending on how well you do at school.

And in regards to your procrastination, what I would probably do instead is to work as hard as you can for maybe 2 hours or 1.5 hours straight with no distractions and then reward yourself with something nice like food or watching a video. Following that go back to doing you work. I guess by doing this you can stay focused on your study/assignments with some form of relaxation.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

RAY RAY 20

HSC
N/A
Hey there,

Please don't worry too much - I didn't study that much during the Summer holidays as well. My best advice would be to start studying as soon as possible - that is, catch up on all the theory, make succinct notes and do some practice questions if possible. If you know when you have to resit these exams, make sure you put these dates on a calendar or something so you can organise your time and know when you have to study more for the upcoming assessments.

For example, if you know that you have to resit your first exam on the third day back, make sure you put that subject as your priority and study it as much as you can before your actual exam. Of course, don't neglect your other subjects but just make sure you put more emphasis on the exam coming up.

It's also never too late to study. My first term of Year 12 in English wasn't that great. Nonetheless, I just tried to improve and do my best once the Summer holidays finished and I ended up improving a lot in terms of school rank. Just learn to be consistent throughout the year and if possible avoid intense cramming before an exam.

And just remember that your final HSC exam accounts up to 50% of you final HSC mark. This means that it carries a lot of weight, so if you do excellent in the final exams then you should be totally fine! Just remember to do consistently well in your school assessments as it can impact your final mark depending on how well you do at school.

And in regards to your procrastination, what I would probably do instead is to work as hard as you can for maybe 2 hours or 1.5 hours straight with no distractions and then reward yourself with something nice like food or watching a video. Following that go back to doing you work. I guess by doing this you can stay focused on your study/assignments with some form of relaxation.

Best of luck!
thank you, greatly appreciate it.

zeee1999

HSC
thanks
i was doing so bad in chemistry (it was my worst subject and lowest mark) the entire year and by bad i mean barely passing , i ended up with a mark of 74 , not the best but for someone who was really doing horrible it was a great increase , nonetheless i also ended up with a atar of 89.75 which i wasnt ecstatic about as i wanted 92ish and was expecting my marks would get me that but it couldve been a lot worse bc of chem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)