What does ATAR really encompass? (1 Viewer)

darkk_blu

HSC
I know what ATAR means and the what goes into calculating it but what does scaling, aligning and weighting marks mean? I found these terms on the rawmark website

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2016-ScalingReport.pdf

The UAC HSC scaling report might help. (Table A3 might be interesting to look at)

UAC said:
The model underpinning the scaling algorithm specifies that the scaled mean in a course is equal to the average academic
achievement of the course candidature where, for individual students, the measure of academic achievement is taken as the
average scaled mark in all courses completed.
Basically, how a subject scales depends on how their participants perform in other subjects.

For aligning:

http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/portal/nesa/11-12/hsc/about-HSC/moderation

From what I understand, aligning is something that NESA does convert to raw marks to the reported HSC mark.

NESA said:
Using the example given above, a student who achieved an examination mark of 82, and who was therefore deemed to have just met the standard for Band 6, would have a reported examination mark of 90. The student with an examination mark of 74, just meeting the standard for Band 5, would receive a reported examination mark of 80. Examination marks that that do not fall on the cut off marks are adjusted in a linear fashion. This means that, for example, a student with an examination mark of 78, which is half way between the Band 5 and Band 6 borderlines, would be reported as 85.
Since UAC scales directly off of raw marks (?), aligning doesn't affect your ATAR.

Last edited:

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
I know what ATAR means and the what goes into calculating it but what does scaling, aligning and weighting marks mean? I found these terms on the rawmark website
Just watch Eddie Woos videos on youtube about them he explained it all pretty well. (Type: eddie woo HSC marks) There are three parts which explain the moderation, scaling and aligning.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)