rote learning in chemistry (1 Viewer)

cherryboi

HSC
I had a question for the b6 people in chemistry, whether i should rote learn after people telling me its bad and stuff.

i mean like there is so much content in chemistry which can be rote learned like the impacts and effects of things and examples etc.
off course you have to understand the conceptual parts.
but all the other stuff isnt it a must to rote learn?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Its a combination of rote learning and then applying the knowledge to specific examples to know what content you rote learned to use

horse9996

HSC
You can rote learn stuff like societal impacts and that (eg cells in production of materials) but you have to be able to write to an exam question. some stuff it much harder to like the formation of condensation polymers cause it can ask things like what monomers make a certain polymer in multiple choice. these qs are about depth of understanding and applying knowledge of what polymers are

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
You will inevitably rote learn some content in chemistry, as I am doing.
As horse mentioned above, instances of societal impacts and historical content are hard to "understand" as much as they are to "know."

It is important to know how to apply content to the verb in the question tho, so much sure you know what e.g. "Dynamic equilibrium" means rather than just that it exists.

mantequilla

HSC
Rote learning is disgusting and unless all you care about is your score, you're better off understanding the material because you can then figure things out much quicker and it will be more intuitive and you spend less time studying.

ec22

HSC
You will find that as you do past papers many questions are basically the same but worded differently. So definitely you can rote learn chunks of information use it when the question asks for it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)