No Idea on Uni Course (1 Viewer)

PencilKC

HSC
1st thing I don't think this is the correct category but oh well

As the title says, I don't know what course I want to do in Uni and probably my whole life. I don't really find a passionate interest in any area or my subjects

My subjects for 2018 HSC are 10 units
-English Standard
-Mathematics General 2
-Biology
-Modern History
-Legal Studies

If I HAD to choose a course or career based off one of those subjects, probably Biology or Legal Studies but these two subjects, its not like I like them alot more anyways. I'm not a top tier student but I think I can do decently well in my HSC. Since I'm doing my HSC this year and I am most probably going to Uni straight after, I'm kinda in a dilemma that I don't know what Uni course I want to do which may affect my future jobs choices.

Advice wanted

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

As the title says, I don't know what course I want to do in Uni and probably my whole life. I don't really find a passionate interest in any area or my subjects

-English Standard
-Mathematics General 2
-Biology
-Modern History
-Legal Studies

If I HAD to choose a course or career based off one of those subjects, probably Biology or Legal Studies but these two subjects, its not like I like them alot more anyways. I'm not a top tier student but I think I can do decently well in my HSC. Since I'm doing my HSC this year and I am most probably going to Uni straight after, I'm kinda in a dilemma that I don't know what Uni course I want to do which may affect my future jobs choices.

Advice wanted
What are any hobbies or do you like ANY field/industry?

PencilKC

HSC
My hobbies are sport (tennis, swimming, table tennis,badminton, and bball i guess) and I guess im sorta interested in science relating to biology or maybe health/medicine. All I do in my free time is pretty much go on my computer (games,youtube, reddit, asian dramas, and watch movies) or play sport with friends casually

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad

Advice wanted

Hmm, first of all, I'd recommend following and liking this Facebook page, we're slowly rolling out stories behind the reasons why people end up choosing their degree. (We'll be posting a new one every day!!) We're also in the process of designing a networking event, so that students like you are able to interact with industry professionals and uni students from different degrees , and see if any of them draws your interest.

Secondly, I think asking your friends would be a good idea. I remember one of my friends was panicking the night before UAC choices closed. I knew she wasn't interested in med, but I knew she was good at articulating things, finding weaknesses, had a very critical mindset etc so I suggested law. However, she didn't really find that really interesting so I thought about the next best thing - she's a very hands on, creative person, and she's good at problem solving and fixing stuff -> so I suggested engineering. So, the point is - try and find someone who knows you well, and ask them what they think they can see you doing!!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
My hobbies are sport (tennis, swimming, table tennis,badminton, and bball i guess) and I guess im sorta interested in science relating to biology or maybe health/medicine. All I do in my free time is pretty much go on my computer (games,youtube, reddit, asian dramas, and watch movies) or play sport with friends casually
Check out physio

HSC
don't feel too trapped with your choices right now. If your school happens to hold career events, you can get inspiration from that or you could attend career expos/ uni open days later in the year. Even if you can't make up your mind during course selections, always remember that you can transfer in and out of subjects. Most people do one degree for a year and change their minds and transfer.

If you look into the transfer option, make sure to read up on the processes that unis require. E.g. unsw internal transfers only take uni grades rather than atar but usyd (i believe) takes both atar and wam.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Would recommend starting off with broad degree that allows for flexibility and taster subjects e.g. double deg science/arts and then transferring into something more focused. Don't be afraid to use your first year of uni to explore. You'll also come across a range of poeple doing different degrees and maybe you'll find something of interest.

Most like 90% of poeple in uni take a gap year, take a semester off, transfer degrees go part time instead of fuull time etc and don't graduate on time so don't be pressured into thinking you will fall behind.

Last edited:

brbstudying

HSC

-English Standard
-Mathematics General 2
-Biology
-Modern History
-Legal Studies

Advice wanted
Secondly, I think asking your friends would be a good idea. I remember one of my friends was panicking the night before UAC choices closed. I knew she wasn't interested in med, but I knew she was good at articulating things, finding weaknesses, had a very critical mindset etc so I suggested law. However, she didn't really find that really interesting so I thought about the next best thing - she's a very hands on, creative person, and she's good at problem solving and fixing stuff -> so I suggested engineering. So, the point is - try and find someone who knows you well, and ask them what they think they can see you doing!!
I like the idea of seeking input from a close friend. However, many of my friends think that I should become an author because I "like writing", know a lot of "sophisticated words" and have "ideas". That would honestly be so awesome if I become one, but much of it relies on chance.

Another friend recently suggested that I should become a historian! Honestly, I have never thought about it before, but I do enjoy history.

Others have suggested becoming a piano teacher as I "play well". It's a rather lackadaisical job, and it pays well. However, I stopped at Eighth Grade, so this would need me to continue onto AMUS, which is okay, but I'm not super passionate about music. Nonetheless, music teaching has always been a back-up plan if I fail school and one day find myself impoverished. :eek:

Another friend did suggest law because I'm very "thorough". My parents have also suggested law to me because I'm "good at writing" and "can sit at the desk for hours". But while Legal Studies is interesting, I'm not interested in actual law at all. :(

Another friend suggested becoming an academic or a university professor. << This one seems the most liable to me!

So OP, I don't know much about the ins-and-outs of choosing uni courses, as I'm in the same cohort as you, but here's my advice anyway: :)

* Yes, listen to your friends and family! They sometimes can know you better than you know yourself! (Especially for someone like me who lacks self-awareness :tongue:) Make a list, as I just did, of all their suggestions and do processes of elimination to suss out which seems to the most liable to you.

* Focus on the work at hand. You're in the same cohort as me. Remember that you can't actually proceed to the next step (choosing a career) without completing the first (the HSC). So make sure to smash your assignments and exams. Getting a high enough ATAR can get you into almost any course! You'll have plenty of options. You'll have a few more options than me, considering that you kept Math. (I dropped it in Year 11)

* Use your hobbies! Similar to my 10+ years of piano-playing, you can use sport to venture in coaching or teaching. Maybe a nice side-job, or if you enjoy it, as a full-time job?

* Just a general note, many of the top students in my grade have no idea what they want to do after school... It gives you more incentive to do really well. That way, you can choose whatever you want in uni.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll end up where you want to be, even if you don't know exactly where that is yet. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)