Tips for distance ed / self teaching ??? (1 Viewer)

issygolding

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
I am doing distance French continuers and STRUGGLING. (wish I dropped but whatever now I only have 10 units and kinda cant do that) and am wondering if anyone has any tips for doing distance ed, and / or for doing French?

HSC
Find a french friend? lmao
But actually, there's an app called HelloTalk where you can talk to native speakers.. that might help?

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Okay, I did Chinese Beginners by distance ed in Year 11 (and I study French now non-distance) and for me, it was actually a really good system.

However, that was because I studied Chinese 5 days a week on my own after distance ed lessons for at least 40+ minutes each time. For me it was just about consistency.
Reading and writing a language via distance ed is the easy part. I recommend having a print dictionary and an online dictionary with you to fill in gaps in your language ability as you go along. Read French from the schoolwork the teacher gives you, and read French online news articles as it will give you valuable practice.

Listening and speaking are harder to perfect with distance ed. make sure you listen to audio in French most days in the week, whether that be watching netflix dubbed in French, doing past-Hsc listening exams, or listening to French radio (especially difficult), you need constant practice. This will in turn improve your speaking skills as you are able to hear how words are pronounced. Practice pronouncing words and speaking to yourself in French (kinda weird, but if you have no one else to speak to, you kinda have no choice). Just find a French speaking question, read it out to yourself, and answer it yourself with a 45 second response or so (depending on the question responses will be shorter or longer).

Also, talk to your teacher about this as they are the most able to help you overcome your struggles and which skills you have trouble with most. And do not neglect your call time, whether it be weekly or fortnightly, as that is really the only speaking and listening practice you get with someone else, and it will help you heaps. Hope this helped a little and good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)