Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Hard work vs. natural talent

Cadet
    HSC

Hard work vs. natural talent

What do you believe, that success in the HSC is based purely off hard work, or hard work plus natural talent? What do you think?

HSC

Re: Hard work vs. natural talent

I think it's based on how good your memory is
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

Cadet
    HSC

Depends, I did pretty well without really studying much at all, but one of my friends didn't have natural talent, but worked hard and also did really well.
    Atar results: no one gives a fuck, cunt.

HSC

100% a memory game
    2015 HSC
    Mathematics 2U
    2016 HSC
    Advanced English, Drama, Maths 3U, Maths 4U, Music 2, Extension Music, Chemistry, Software Design & Development
    Currently studying
    Advanced Mathematics (Hons)/Computer Science @ UNSW (2017– )

HSC

Its not if you aren't naturally talented that you won't do as well as someone who it, it might just mean that you need to put more effort in. Anyone is capable of getting a good HSC result if they put the hard work in and study effectively
    A Leaf and studygirl118 like this.
    HSC 2018

Advanced English - Extension 1 Maths - Chemistry - Earth & Environmental Science - Geography

HSC
    Uni Grad

I think those at the very top-such as 99.50+ has a bit of natural talent in studying plus hard work. For me, I did it purely by hard work, I know I wasn't really talented so I needed to always work hard to catch up and get ahead.

HSC

All about your memory

Executive Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    I think those at the very top-such as 99.50+ has a bit of natural talent in studying plus hard work. For me, I did it purely by hard work, I know I wasn't really talented so I needed to always work hard to catch up and get ahead.
    Such humility!

But I do think it's a combination of both
    studygirl118 likes this.
    CHEM + PHYS TRIAL QUESTIONS SORTED BY DOT POINT
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...t-answers.html

EXAM RESPONSES + FREE NOTES (99.90)
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...m-phys%5D.html

Cadet
    HSC

If you think it's only about memory... You probably don't have any natural talent...

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by mantequilla View Post
    If you think it's only about memory... You probably don't have any natural talent...
    Natural talent is basically having a good memory so yeah

HSC

Organisation, hard work and a balanced lifestyle are typically what I see in the best students
    studygirl118 likes this.
    HSC 2018

Maths Ext 1 - Maths Ext 2 - English Adv - Physics - Chemistry

ATAR Goal - 96.00 - B Laws at UTS

HSC

Just quietly, there's a whole bunch of studies done on the fact that natural talent doesn't exist (and a whole bunch of books eg The Talent Code). Sure, there may be some genetic factors, but hard work and discipline will win out over any natural aptitude!
    A Leaf and studygirl118 like this.

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Memory

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

I did pretty good in the HSC, but have never considered myself a natural talent. During my younger years, I did absolutely horrible (from primary school upwards to year 10 - did not make it into ANY OC schools or selective schools). It was only when I actually started investing time in my studies (and thus worked harder) that I actually saw results.

If you're naturally talented, you can get a great mark with a lower amount of hard work, but if you're not naturally talented, you can get a great mark with a lot more work (probably my case). It leverages out I guess - a bit of a balancing game.
    studygirl118 and supR like this.
    2017 HSC

English Advanced (95), Legal Studies (96), Business Studies (95), Information Processes and Technology (93), Mathematics (100 - 6th in the State), Mathematics Ext 1 (49), Business Services Examination (97 - 5th in the State)

ATAR: 99.80

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    Yeah, I'm the same.

Cadet
    HSC

To get 90+ you either need natural talent or hard work, to get 97-98+ it takes a lot of both
    studygirl118 likes this.
    HSC 2017

English Adv, Genny Maths, PDHPE, Business, Chemistry

Atar: 95.55

Occupational Therapy @ USYD

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by HoldingOn View Post
    Natural talent is basically having a good memory so yeah
    Mostly agree haha which allowed me to cram for assignments and still do well which I'm assigning to natural talent.

Seriously though I think it's both natural talent and effort because you might not use your full potential/talent if you don't put in effort while someone who isn't that talented can put in hard work and reach their full potential. If we're using economic terms then hard work contributes more to your "real" results while natural talent helps your "nominal" results, aka more hard work = higher mark relative to your potential.

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

Executive Member
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    hard work contributes more to your "real" results while natural talent helps your "nominal" results, aka more hard work = higher mark relative to your potential.
    Amen.

I’ve had plenty of students with natural talent not get Band 6 and plenty of students who do not have that natural talent but have a much stronger work ethic that did get Band 6.

I can’t remember the exact quote, but it was basically in every room at one of my old school:

“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.”

Something like that
    pikachu975 likes this.
    Visit My Website | Like My Facebook Page | Need HSC Physics Tutoring?

HSC Physics 2018 - CLASSES FILLED
    Preliminary Physics 2018 - CLASSES FILLED

HSC

OP asks an interesting question.

I did my HSC in 2012.

And yeah, I got a shitty ATAR in the 50s. During that time, I've had to reexamine: where did I go wrong? How do I take responsibility? Sure, I debate about whether the HSC is fair, but I don't want to come across as a sore loser or diminish other students achievements. Yes, I had a medical condition that was extremely bad. But I don't want to use my traumas so I can be viewed in a different light. Pretty much? Just cause I was a sob story in 2012, doesn't mean I'm going to be one in 2018.

The HSC does have an emphasis on memory. I remember getting back English essays- and the feedback was always 'not enough quotes / evidence'. Nothing about my critical thinking, understanding of the texts, or whether or not my ideas were any good- but how much I could rote learn. Modern History (which I'm now pursuing as a major, and doing quite well in) was just information and date after each other. When really- the academic field of history is all about understanding the past, not just how much data you can recall. When people say HSC subjects are nothing like the ones at university level- this is what they mean.

I did study during the HSC. Not as much as other students, but still a decent amount. Teachers and even students would often take me aside and say that I was saying really interesting and unique things in class. That did well for my confidence, but it never translated into marks. Maybe I had neither 'hard work' or 'talent', and I believe sometimes those elements can take years to fully develop. I can get credits and distinctions at university, no problem.

My sister got an ATAR of 98.50. She's very good at remembering data (talent), took the HSC really seriously (hard work). But she knew that she was 'playing a game'. Sometimes that's what the HSC is. A game. To me, that sickened and revolted me. That I was forced to see my friends who I had spent 6 years developing a relationship with- as potential backstabbers. Then, once after trials were finished they acted as if we were best friends for life. Yeah, lots of fakes around. Everyone in 2012 was just so fake and pathetic. All for a fucking rank and number.

So yeah, I take responsibility for my ATAR. I played the game and lost. The HSC is a game. It'll make you angry and upset, years after its over. Some of it will be directed towards yourself. You'll go on Whirlpool, and you'll be told your 80-something ATAR is 'nothing special' and have someone yell at you for being lazy. But screw them. I work my hardest now, I'm proud of what I've accomplished post HSC.

So natural talent or hard work? Maybe both. It's also luck and memory.
    studygirl118 likes this.
    “In the game of thrones, even the humblest pieces can have wills of their own. Sometimes they refuse to make the moves you've planned for them. Mark that well, Alayne. It's a lesson that Cersei Lannister still has yet to learn.”

B.Arts (English & Modern History) ~ Macquarie University (2017-2019)

Cadet
    HSC

Natural talent is not really about memory, it's more about problem solving ability and figuring things out. Memorizing takes effort, if you're talented you don't need to put effort into memorizing to get a good score.

HSC
    Uni Grad

hard work

HSC

Mostly Hardwork. Memory is a fair point but I think the biggest skill to a good result is Time Management and Organisation your work.
    HSC 2017: 95.05 | School DUX

Offering Biology Tutoring (93 HSC MARK) PM ME for details

WSU Class of 2021
    B Physiotherapy

HSC

Hsc was more of a memory game than anything tbh. Especially in the sciences (can't say for physics) where the markers want you to write responses in a certain way and the questions tested you more on random slices of facts/info than actual science sometimes... I roted my essays for english then vomited it back out on paper during exams, I still did somewhat decent. I felt like you could do decently well in Maths if you roted, this probably doesn't apply for 4U though.

tldr: sit down and memorise
    pikachu975 and JMP lova like this.

HSC

hard work, because you can literally memorise like 90% of what you need to know to do well.

HSC

It's a memory game. Use Acronyms and you'll be fine.

However, there are students with 100% natural talent. I know people who didn't study half as much as I did, and yet achieved 98+ in the same subjects.
    $MU

Free Shkreli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information