Should I drop to general Maths from Advanced mid HSC??? (1 Viewer)

JoshCam159

HSC
So i've currently got 13 units and am seriously struggling in advanced maths, the last half-yearly exam i got 53%. I know i could be getting better marks if i drop down to general, is it worth it you think? or should i just stick with it?

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
If 53% is nowhere near any of the marks in your other subjects then i say yes definitely do it, especially if you are planning on uni but none of the degrees your looking at need maths as a prerequisite. Just be sure to do as many past papers as possible in order to compensate for not formally learning general maths concepts that are really different from advanced.

Last edited:

Frostguard

HSC
Drop to genny maths if:
1) You dislike the subject
2) You perform bad and do not understand the concepts and will most likely struggle with future concepts
3) You don't really have motivation or purpose in doing the homework or continuing the subject

Dropping to genny maths is a last resort and if you truly think you will perform better, then drop but make sure you must understand the concepts and to able to past paper after past paper to get good marks and actually understand the content.
also the genny maths memes are very funny hahahahaa

sida1049

HSC
I see that in your BoS profile, you've listed IT and science as your industry interests. If this is the case, do not drop 2U maths, no matter what. USYD is enforcing the 2U requirement for a ton of their degrees from 2019 and on-wards, and even if you are getting into a commerce/science/engineering degree that doesn't enforce 2U maths as a requirement for entry, you'll most likely end up struggling due to the lack of maths fluency required to do well in your courses.

Seriously, maths is important. Bridging courses exist, sure, but they suck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)