Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jjuunnee
  • 1 Post By Frostguard

Thread: Crime - Legal Studies

HSC

Crime - Legal Studies

Hi Everyone

For the 10 mark crime response, I have been told that if a question is asking for instance, assess the effectiveness, you should not answer by saying that it has a limited effectiveness and bring up all the bad points but that you should balance this with positives and negatives? My teacher says that I will lose marks if i only bring up the negatives, what do u guys think?

Thank you!

HSC

Re: Crime - Legal Studies

Well technically "assess" means that you need to talk about positives and negatives, but it doesn't necessarily have to be balanced. For example, you could have maybe only one or two positives but five negatives, and that's still fine as long as it is relevant to the question. But if a question worth 10 marks asks for you to assess the effectiveness, then I assume that there are many points (both positive and negative) that you could talk about.
    mozzafiato11 likes this.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

HSC

Re: Crime - Legal Studies

As legal students, we are taught that legislations and laws are never completely ineffective, just like a source in history is never useless. Sure legislations can generally be ineffective and law reform is needed but you must not say it is extremely ineffective, try wording it make it sound 'better' eg effective to a limited extent or in a way that you do not label the legislation or anything useless. Assess as June, said, is to showcase the positives and negatives where you will discuss both sides, even if it is very ineffective, you should still have some balance - maybe 1 argument on effectiveness or 2 or 3 arguments on ineffectiveness. Your teachers will crucify you if you say laws are ineffective, its effective somehow maybe just not the extent to which it should be effective. (also do not use emotive language where you express injustice as extremely ineffective or other words that describe the legal system as a failure, never forget my prelims port arthur essay (shudders) where i used emotive language and got 16/25 lmaoooo)
    mozzafiato11 likes this.
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

Thread Information