University Discussion. (1 Viewer)

Xionel

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello, I am interested in knowing a bit about different universities and stuff like that, and I am sure other people will be interested as well. If you go to University it'd be nice if you tell us your experience! Some questions I am interested in:

-What University do you go to?
-What ATAR did you achieve to get into that University? And what course are you studying?
-How do you feel about your University
-Anything else you want to say :D

Thank You!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hello, I am interested in knowing a bit about different universities and stuff like that, and I am sure other people will be interested as well. If you go to University it'd be nice if you tell us your experience! Some questions I am interested in:

-What ATAR did you achieve to get into that University? And what course are you studying?

Thank You!
1) Macquarie uni
2) 99.75 - actuarial studies and applied finance (swapping applied finance to statistics)
3) The uni is great - has a train station right next to it and a giant shopping centre to eat food between breaks or to hang out etc. Also the library is huge (still full a lot of the time) and is really good imo. The community is really good and actuarial society has so many social events which makes uni really fun alongside the studying. Finally I think the courses are well designed because at least for actuarial, we learn excel and start R in sem 1 which are extremely common in the workforce.
4) Uni is a great time only if you choose to make it a great time.

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad

Thank You!
1. UTS

2. ~90 ATAR, studying a Bachelor of IT degree w/ a co-op scholarship

3. L M A O i used to be REALLY REALLY REALLY skeptical of UTS, mostly because every year, a majority of my selective high school went to either USYD/UNSW so the university did not seem very appealing at all.

But now, I actually REALLY REALLY LIKE UTS. When comparing my course to what people in other universities are learning, I can see that our subjects will probably be better when preparing us for work (even though they seem very very bs rn fml). Also, everyone seems to be generally supportive in terms of helping each other.

And although social events aren't as well known and well advertised as they are in UNSW, there are actually so many chances to meet new people and enjoy uni life. Everyone seems to be so welcoming and there aren't any major cliques or anything (except for the obvious male:female ratio that I really really really don't like bc it feels lonely - I really hope more girls become more interested in STEM bc it's very intimidating walking into a tutorial and being the only girl in the room). I feel like there's a much more welcoming vibe (?) than other unis as well - but I might be a bit biased w that since I'm comparing UTS with UNSW, where I did a course in year 10.

ALSO, I love how it's in the middle of the city - it's very convenient and its location is walking distance to pretty much everything (which is good bc the best way to bond w people is to eat good food with them!!!!!!!). It's also so refreshing to walk past all the unsw kids who are lining up for the bus xd

4. like pikachu975 said, it's your attitude toward uni that counts
The past few weeks, I noticed that a few of my high school friends from other universities tended to feel more lonely because they were too comfortable staying within their comfort zone (as they knew they would be going to university with others from their high school cohort) and didn't try and immerse themselves into different events to make friends. The ones that seem to complain less about being lonely are those that tried to join new things etc

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)