Studying in holidays (1 Viewer)

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
I was wondering what is best to study in the holidays that are about to come up (I'm in my last week of term this week)
I've been planning to pre-learn some 4u and 3u topics, and revise all of phys and chem (Also gotta fix English creative and Hamlet notes)

I'm also wondering how to structure studying throughout the term so when trials come I have been doing solid work for a while, and don't have to cram stuff

jenniferblack

HSC
Make a study timetable! It works well for me because I find great satisfaction ticking things off each day. However, I know people who despise timetables and find them too restricting. If you're one of these people then you should try making a weekly to do list, this can be less stressful and will not force you into doing something at a specific time that you don't really want to do which = inefficiency.

If you don't mind, can I ask you about how you're revising for all of phys and chem? Have you completed the entire course already?

(Wow pre-learning 4u maths!! :eek:ooo)

Last edited:

Jolteon

HSC
For holidays, I prefer to study in the day from 12 - 6pm
Enjoy your time off from then onwards to avoid burning out.

It's good to pre-write/learn content for sciences and do textbook chapters for maths from a textbook other than your school one.
I'm always almost behind so holidays are more catchup for me than learning too far ahead.

Deadboxes

HSC
Not that anyone cares:

I have a study plan I'm going to be attempting to follow (5pm-9pm weekdays, Saturdays off cause they're for the boys, and Sundays it's 4-9pm) -- stopped due to exams, my worst habit, cause I cram. I also want to catch up on all my notes for Chemistry (I have written 0 notes for the Acidic Environment), PDHPE (doing okay, just need to catch up on 1 FQ, Biology (slightly behind) and also do some Maths exercises (probably most behind), as for English maybe some discovery short answer questions or starting on my creative.

I really do want to get in the regular schedule of studying, but I honestly feel it's too late. But I'm doing okay academically so idk:confused2:.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
For holidays, I prefer to study in the day from 12 - 6pm
Enjoy your time off from then onwards to avoid burning out.

It's good to pre-write/learn content for sciences and do textbook chapters for maths from a textbook other than your school one.
I'm always almost behind so holidays are more catchup for me than learning too far ahead.
Yeah I'll probably work earlier in the day and take the afternoon off.
I've been getting up at 4:30am, and I've liked doing that so I'll try and continue it in the holidays ahaah

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Not that anyone cares:

I have a study plan I'm going to be attempting to follow (5pm-9pm weekdays, Saturdays off cause they're for the boys, and Sundays it's 4-9pm) -- stopped due to exams, my worst habit, cause I cram. I also want to catch up on all my notes for Chemistry (I have written 0 notes for the Acidic Environment), PDHPE (doing okay, just need to catch up on 1 FQ, Biology (slightly behind) and also do some Maths exercises (probably most behind), as for English maybe some discovery short answer questions or starting on my creative.

I really do want to get in the regular schedule of studying, but I honestly feel it's too late. But I'm doing okay academically so idk:confused2:.
I wouldn't give up now for a schedule, it's definitely not too late - Best of luck with catching up

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Make a study timetable! It works well for me because I find great satisfaction ticking things off each day. However, I know people who despise timetables and find them too restricting. If you're one of these people then you should try making a weekly to do list, this can be less stressful and will not force you into doing something at a specific time that you don't really want to do which = inefficiency.

If you don't mind, can I ask you about how you're revising for all of phys and chem? Have you completed the entire course already?

(Wow pre-learning 4u maths!! :eek:ooo)
Yeeeesss I like study timetables, really cool!
I've been trying out different designs on google sheets and I don't really know how to structure it well, do you have an example?

So we did POM and AE in semester 1 for chemistry, so I am going to make sure my notes are 100% appropriate and do practice questions to ensure I understand the content.
Similar story for physics as well
At the same time, I've self-learnt the 3rd topic for physics, and almost done for chemistry (Monitoring and management) so I will try to do questions on those as well, to see what I understand

jenniferblack

HSC
Yeeeesss I like study timetables, really cool!
I've been trying out different designs on google sheets and I don't really know how to structure it well, do you have an example?

So we did POM and AE in semester 1 for chemistry, so I am going to make sure my notes are 100% appropriate and do practice questions to ensure I understand the content.
Similar story for physics as well
At the same time, I've self-learnt the 3rd topic for physics, and almost done for chemistry (Monitoring and management) so I will try to do questions on those as well, to see what I understand
wow! (saw that you said above that you woke up at 4:30 am??? How much sleep do you get?)

And my timetable isn't that complicated at all. I draft it up on google docs in a massive table. Each week gets a row, each day gets a column (sorta like a calendar). And then add the things you want to do per day according to your priorities + schedule in other commitments eg. cadets. Don't be vague and just put 4u maths, put the exact thing you want to do: 4u maths, conics, Cambridge textbook for instance.

The biggest thing about making a timetable and adhering to it properly is to not add too much work because it + lowers morale if you don't get everything done which makes you unproductive :) I usually have 2-3 days off completely each holiday where I do absolutely nothing but laze around to refresh but that's really my preference!
Ultimately, as much as holidays are a good time to get ahead, if you've been working hard through the term, don't be afraid to relax so you don't burn out before trials!!

altSwift

HSC
For 3U i'll be revising early year 11 topics (mostly trig and induction) as 3U trials test everything you have learned up to that point.

As for pre-learning maths, I did it for 4U and 3U over the christmas holidays. IMO it's the easiest subject to learn ahead due to the volume of resources available online, however I wouldn't go too far ahead of your class, as you may forget a lot of it when you start learning it in class and won't be a good use of your time.

maths314

HSC
Uni Grad
Holidays: For me, I reworked the essays I had written already to make them more coherent and advanced. I also read some essays and notes on my upcoming texts. For maths, I went through quite a few past papers and revised what I had already learnt (I'm not great at pre-learning, but if it works for you, go for it!)

During term: I strongly recommend downloading a study tracker, and don't go out/to sleep before you do a minimum amount of hours per day (i.e. for me that was 4 hours, and 6 on the weekend closer to exams, and a bit less further out). Try to write your essays as early as possible, because that gives you more time to refine and edit. For maths, just keep up to date with content, and try doing a few past papers every week.

All the best :)

RobertGreene

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
First of all thanks to being a part of this forum.All the posts is very inspiring.I highly appreciate you that you discussed such an amazing content.I recommended that there are a proper time-table of studying and this is quite good approach that to studying in holidays.Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)