Maths Ext 2 Scores: (1 Viewer)

gallen88

HSC
Hey,

So I've just completed my half yearlies and I'm worried about my result (I usually worry about results because I'm a perfectionist). I studied for the exam quite effectively and was able to get through majority of the paper. (Around a good 85% as there were some really challenging questions). I know Ext 2 doesn't come easy and I'm not expecting a 90+ mark as the exams my school sets are pretty difficult (not like James Ruse but they aren't a walk in the park either). I was wondering what would be considered a good raw score for Ext 2 in assessments/HSC, if I'm aiming to achieve 80% overall as a final mark for the course (I know scaling and adjustments to my school marks will be taken into account).

Thanks,
Gallen88

Last edited:

maths314

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not 100% what you mean. But, my school had reasonably difficult 4U papers, and I averaged a raw of about 87% or so, and in the end my HSC mark was 94. Other people averaged 88-90% and got 95 and 96. The important thing is to get the good marks in the biggest weighted tests (i.e. Pre-Trials, Trials, and HSC)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey,

So I've just completed my half yearlies and I'm worried about my result (I usually worry about results because I'm a perfectionist). I studied for the exam quite effectively and was able to get through majority of the paper. (Around a good 85% as there were some really challenging questions). I know Ext 2 doesn't come easy and I'm not expecting a 90+ mark as the exams my school sets are pretty difficult (not like James Ruse but they aren't a walk in the park either). I was wondering what would be considered a good raw score for Ext 2 in assessments/HSC, if I'm aiming to achieve 80% overall as a final mark for the course (I know scaling and adjustments to my school marks will be taken into account).

Thanks,
Gallen88
Dw about trial marks because you can always improve before HSC. I think I got 78 raw in my last trial then was motivated to do 1 past paper everyday for 4u till HSC and ended with like 92 raw (just guessing from checking solutions) so don't give up based on trials!!!!

gallen88

HSC
Dw about trial marks because you can always improve before HSC. I think I got 78 raw in my last trial then was motivated to do 1 past paper everyday for 4u till HSC and ended with like 92 raw (just guessing from checking solutions) so don't give up based on trials!!!!
Thank you for the encouragement and advice! I really appreciate it and will definitely start doing a paper/few questions a day. : )

gallen88

HSC
I'm not 100% what you mean. But, my school had reasonably difficult 4U papers, and I averaged a raw of about 87% or so, and in the end my HSC mark was 94. Other people averaged 88-90% and got 95 and 96. The important thing is to get the good marks in the biggest weighted tests (i.e. Pre-Trials, Trials, and HSC)

Sorry about the confusing message, I tried to fix it up. But thanks for your advice though, I appreciate it!

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I get what you mean, and I find it difficult as well to reconcile with lower marks in 4u, but it is arguably the hardest subject in the HSC, and marks received should reflect that
(unless you are a God like the kid in my class who got 99% in our HY, but he goes to Dr Du ;) )

JaxsenW

HSC
Considering that I go to a school that is running 4U for the first time in its history for me (And I'm the only one in my class), anyone know how I could judge how difficult my test was?
I'm finding it difficult to judge how good/bad my mark is, although I did make a few silly errors...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

maths314

HSC
Uni Grad
There isn't really a way to determine whether it was 'easy' or 'hard'. If you go onto the site thsc, and find similar past papers from schools like James Ruse/Sydney Boys (which have hard papers), North Sydney Boys (similar to HSC), and then some random school (could potentially be easy), then that could give you a bit of a frame of reference. Then again, since you are the only one in your class, it really doesn't matter too much how you perform internally or the difficulty of the tests, as long as you smash the HSC exam.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
There isn't really a way to determine whether it was 'easy' or 'hard'. If you go onto the site thsc, and find similar past papers from schools like James Ruse/Sydney Boys (which have hard papers), North Sydney Boys (similar to HSC), and then some random school (could potentially be easy), then that could give you a bit of a frame of reference. Then again, since you are the only one in your class, it really doesn't matter too much how you perform internally or the difficulty of the tests, as long as you smash the HSC exam.
How are NSB papers similar to the HSC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gallen88

HSC
Yeah I get what you mean, and I find it difficult as well to reconcile with lower marks in 4u, but it is arguably the hardest subject in the HSC, and marks received should reflect that
(unless you are a God like the kid in my class who got 99% in our HY, but he goes to Dr Du ;) )
Thanks for the understanding, I really appreciate it! : )

That kid in your class is crazy, 99% is out of this incredible!! Also I hope you went well with your exams too SupR, I'm sure you did great!

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the understanding, I really appreciate it! : )

That kid in your class is crazy, 99% is out of this incredible!! Also I hope you went well with your exams too SupR, I'm sure you did great!
Yeah I was pretty happy with mine! 1st task was 79%, and lucky my determination rose me to 87%, and considering that was 2nd (3rd was high 70s) I'm happy :D

maths314

HSC
Uni Grad
I personally just felt the NSB papers were of comparable difficulty to the actual HSC papers - but I guess that may be a bit subjective

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)