I’m so bad at chemistry, idek why? Can i still get a band 6? (1 Viewer)

Cherrys

HSC
N/A
So I’m currently in Year 11 doing accelerated Chemistry and have recently finished my HSC half yearly. Since I’m in year 11 none of my other subjects rlly matter so I’ve put all my efforts into studying for Chemistry so that makes me feel worse when I get really bad. I’m proud to say I’m a really hard worker and I believed that my marks would reflect my efforts but it didn’t and I was very dissapointed.

For my first assessment I got 75% and for my half yearly I got 66%( still not final, I may argue for marks). They both had a weighting of 20%. I was just wondering for my next asessments how much would I have to achieve to get a band 6 or a high band 5?

Lowkey I always feel like our assessments are somewhat unfair (i felt i could’ve got better in my first assessment if it wasn’t for that)

Frostguard

HSC
You must remember that your school assessments only account for 50% of your HSC mark, you've still got the HSC Chemistry exam to go!!! While you prioritising Chemistry over your other Prelim subjects is not exactly a good thing, it still will encourage you to perform your best for Chemistry. I mean to achieve a band 6 for Chemistry, it's ideal you get the respective assessment percentage and aim for a 90% in your next chem assessments, same thing applies to high band 5, aim for a mark that replicates that. As for the unfair assessments, the fact you're even doing accelerated Chemistry means you're very bright and intelligent and it's only natural that you might be disadvantaged because you're inexperienced compared to the other year 12s who have had an extra year of schooling. Study hard and you'll be happy with your results buddy!!!

horse9996

HSC
How are you spending your time studying for chemistry? Are you reading your notes over and over (passive studying) or are you recalling stuff and answering past paper questions (active studying)? The second method will ensure you have a deeper and better understanding of the concepts which is necessary for chemistry, particularly in the HSC. It is also much more effective in learning, understanding and applying the content. When you answer past questions make sure you seek feedback as to what to improve on (teachers, friends, etc) so as you don't continually practice bad habits and then do these in the exam (practice makes permanent not perfect)

As to if you can still get a band 6, I've heard of people getting 50% or less in trials in maths and still getting band 6s. Just do your best and that's what matters. As Frostguard said, you are already super intelligent since you're accelerated and therefore musn't be bad at chemistry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)